• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - It's Time to Pay the Price

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oogles

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote
Why did Brian choose such a shallow (second) question to answer? I mean the answer was shorter than the question and it was basically, 'eh whatever, their stuff their rules'? I thought I sent in a pretty relevant question about the website's rating system... I wonder if the editor censored that one and made Brian bs some last minute response... I guess I'll never find out.
Imperial_Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:54 am Reply with quote
It's time to pay the price?

Does this mean Brian is a Home Movies fan? Anime catgrin
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Not sure. That phrase has stayed in wide use and was around LONG before Home Movies.
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:53 pm Reply with quote
"I understand Sengoku Basara becoming Samurai Kings"

Kinda like Rurouni Kenshin becoming Samurai X?

warning pickiness ahead:

On Working!! titles are not copyrighted, they can be trademarked.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Gilles Poitras wrote:
"I understand Sengoku Basara becoming Samurai Kings"

Kinda like Rurouni Kenshin becoming Samurai X?

Not really, because Sengoku Basara STILL kept it's title in the english release. It's full title under Funimation is "Sengoku Basara: Samurai Kings" (the recent video game release of SB3 is called "Sengoku Basara: Samurai Heroes")
CBongo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean we should address you as Bri-chan?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I frequently read spoilers quite intentionally because I'm just not someone who values being surprised by plot twists all that much. I value the experience of watching things unfold even if I already know the destination, and I like knowing what I'm getting into ahead of time. Though a good deal of the anime I watch are slice-of-life shows where spoilers really aren't that big a deal as the story's not hinged on mind-blowing plot twists.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:19 pm Reply with quote
The one thing I don't like is when sellers have a rare item and they set it at some absurd price and then as a result, nobody buys it. By all means, toss the item up as an auction and let it go to the highest bidder. That way the seller gets what the market dictates and at least somebody gets the item. It's so annoying though when I'm looking for some item and I see one sitting there day after day in limbo just because the seller is trying to squeeze some ridiculous price that's not happening out of people.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I'm just curious as to why the hell anyone would want to bring over the Sangakki OVA of School Rumble. The thing is practically universally hated by everyone who has seen it, and I personally would rather force myself to believe that it never existed in the first place.

Also, I love Utawarerumono, and I love hearing people attempt to pronounce it. Smile It sounds so much cooler than what they were going to call it. (Shadow Warrior Chronicles)
Haterater

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I frequently read spoilers quite intentionally because I'm just not someone who values being surprised by plot twists all that much. I value the experience of watching things unfold even if I already know the destination, and I like knowing what I'm getting into ahead of time. Though a good deal of the anime I watch are slice-of-life shows where spoilers really aren't that big a deal as the story's not hinged on mind-blowing plot twists.

I am exactly the same way. Just reading the spoiler isn't the same as watching it before your eyes. And a spoiler can get me more excited to see the episode even more.
sokpupet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Imperial_Commander wrote:
It's time to pay the price?

Does this mean Brian is a Home Movies fan? Anime catgrin

That's what I came in here to ask. Glad to see we've got somebody on top of these things.
Saturn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes I read spoilers for horror stories because I'm a huge wienie and can't handle it, but I still want to watch/read the series Mad I know that's silly, but I'd never get to experience the story otherwise.
Seriously. You know that under-the-bed sequence in Shiki?
I didn't sleep for a week, because I swore off reading spoilers -_-

Also, sometimes spoilers are super useful: if I'm interested in something but can't tell if the content is going to gross me out, I'll check spoilers and know to avoid it (or at least a certain part). That's one of the key reasons I always read the preview guides, for Zac's righteous indignation, which is both hilarious and informative.
toyNN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
@Katie - Love Black Blood Brothers too and still miffed that there was never another season of the anime after it just dropped us right in the middle the story. Funi did re-release those 12 episodes on DVD and Blu-ray about a year ago.

But it would be fun to get the light novel's translated or have the adaption of the anime given another season. I'm backing you!
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I'm just curious as to why the hell anyone would want to bring over the Sangakki OVA of School Rumble. The thing is practically universally hated by everyone who has seen it, and I personally would rather force myself to believe that it never existed in the first place.

Also, I love Utawarerumono, and I love hearing people attempt to pronounce it. Smile It sounds so much cooler than what they were going to call it. (Shadow Warrior Chronicles)

Just after all the fans learned to pronounce Utawarerumono. (OO-TAH-WAH-RAY-ROO-MOE-NO)
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Besides, Aniplex USA's success hangs heavily in the shadows of the dismal failures of both Bandai Visual and Toei, who are absolutely monolithic entities in Japan, yet couldn't leverage that success to anything fruitful in the Western market.

That's partly because Bandai Visual and Toei sold titles which no one heard of here. Plus, as you noted, the companies reflected the polar opposites of bad business. Toei had no QC, while Bandai Visual priced themselves out of the U.S. market for product. Aniplex still has quite a bit of effort to go to learn from BVUSA's mistakes [$200 for R.O.D. on Blu-Ray when people can still get used copies online?!], but at least it's learning how to somewhat sell this stuff in bulk at a reasonable price. [I.E. Baccano on Blu-Ray.]

hough I do like how they're pretending that that Garden of Sinners was always intended for a "niche" market, when it's probably more a case of it under-performing in Japan, and them having to dump excess inventory at a loss. [I.E. translation costs, etc.] Sure, they sold out on it, but they were probably hoping the demand was stronger, or they wouldn't be screening some of it for free. As for the Gurren Lagann movies, I'm not sure why even the hardcore fans would want to pay for over-priced recap episodes. But then Gainax buyers are always easy marks, which is why people are pretending there's some actual merit to Panty and Stocking. Still, Aniplex got smart on Kenshin. People won't be able to afford the Blu-Rays and buy 'em all at once, but they will buy 'em. They were willin' to pay that much for the Advent Children release with the anime short.

ikillchicken:
Quote:
It's so annoying though when I'm looking for some item and I see one sitting there day after day in limbo just because the seller is trying to squeeze some ridiculous price that's not happening out of people.

You mean like Baoh for $50?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4