• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - What Was A "MovieCD"?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:12 am Reply with quote
You forgot the VideoNow! They got Beyblade V-Force, Hamtaro, Kirby: Right Back at Ya!, and Sonic X.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
I have plenty of VideoCDs - and a VCD player for my Dreamcast - but the only "AVI on CD" discs I ever acquired were some fansubbed shows off of eBay. I still remember being really excited about watching .hack//Sign (4 episodes per disc, with the episode numbers hand-written in Sharpie) months before it would air on US television.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:36 am Reply with quote
I own the first episode of Paranoia Agent and the Gundam Endless Waltz movie on the fabulous PSP disc system.
It really looks terrible when you connect the PSP to a television.
And the discs themselves make a ton of noise during use.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
There's been a few releases on 4K BLU-RAY.
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
Did DIVX ever get any anime?
mgosdin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
I remember running onto a PC at a Wal-Mart showing Star Trek The Motion Picture off a disk in it's CD Drive, this must have been in 1993 or 1994. They had some of the disks for sale, but I thought it looked kind of cheesy. At that time I had access to various other products that featured Video on CD, a few games & educational titles mostly, that had better quality video. May still have some of those hidden away.

Mark Gosdin
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:
Did DIVX ever get any anime?

I don't believe so. It died relatively quickly, and there were hardly any anime DVD's at the time.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
VHD? That's really obscure, I heard it didn't last very long either.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
The VCDs are the only way to get the Malaysian English dub of the Dragon Ball Z movies (the Speedy dub). The disc-based formats in between the LD and the DVD are all hilariously bad, as far as audio and video quality go, so it's no surprise that they're almost unheard of.
consignia

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:
I own the first episode of Paranoia Agent and the Gundam Endless Waltz movie on the fabulous PSP disc system.
It really looks terrible when you connect the PSP to a television.
And the discs themselves make a ton of noise during use.

Yeah, I've got 3 episodes of Azumanga Daioh on UMD. Not even the first 3, just 7, 8 and 9. It was pretty cool to have them on the go, as ripping and re-encoding DVDs was a real in pain in the arse.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Slayers had a brief VCD release in the US. I remember seeing one of the volumes (the only volume?) on AnimeNation's online store around 1999.
QuarkboySam

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Was there ever any anime released in Japan (or elsewhere, for that matter) on Super VHS?

I know for a while there back in the early 2000s Super VHS was the go-to way to capture HD video before TV went digital back in Japan, and players and tapes were not THAT obscure, plus it was the only format that would allow for HD (I think it was only 720, but still HD) recording in a consumer format before bluray/hd-dvd came along many years later.

But I don't think I've ever heard of any retail super vhs releases of anime.
Suisho Kasumi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
There were anime on VCD outside of Asia too, since the format used to be quite popular in Poland about a decade ago (mostly as magazine extras). While most anime publishers there sticked to DVDs, a few titles managed to get a VCD release. Those I know about: a small bit of Pokemon (6 episodes from season 3 and the first movie), the 3D Appleseed movie, the World's Masterpiece Theater Anne of Green Gables series , Monarch: The Big Bear of Tallac series, two Dragon Ball Z movies and 80 Days Around the World With Willy Fog series.
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
ADV experimented with releasing some anime on MiniDVDs, back around 2004 - don't know how many titles they tried, but I know I've seen Pretear, Azumanga Daioh, and Noir mini discs for sale, at least.
Cerceaux

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'd never even heard of those before. It's interesting how many weird formats there are out there that didn't catch on.
I think I remember those ADV mini DVDs though, didn't they just have one episode or something like that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4