• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wake Up, Girls! (TV + movie).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote

Wake Up, Girls!
Wake Up, Girls! New Chapter (TV)
Wake Up, Girls!: The Movie

Genres: comedy, slice of life
Themes: idols, music

Plot Summary: Green Leaves Entertainment is a tiny production company on the verge of going out of business in Sendai, the biggest city in Japan's northeastern Tohoku region. The agency once managed the careers of magicians, photo idols, fortune-tellers, and other entertainers, but its last remaining client finally quit. In danger of having zero talent (literally), the president Tange hatches an idea of producing an idol group. On the brash president's orders, the dissatisfied manager Matsuda heads out to scout raw talent. Matsuda makes a fateful encounter with a certain girl...
----------------------------------

Episode 1: So I noticed a lot of the voice actresses in this series is relatively new to the VA industry. That's kinda refreshing seeing them in idol roles. The episode was alright. The OP song was decent and bits of it reminds me of Idolmaster.

Their performance is decent I guess. I hope they wear something more fancy next time though. I'm not a big fan of their manager yet but this was kinda fun.

------------------------
Movie: Looks like CR subbed it so yay!

Eh, the movie was okay on some parts but felt kinda flat imo. The characters were all introduced including Mayu, a prominent idol. Matsuda meets her in a somewhat awkward way and as predicted, spoiler[ she joins the group known as Wake Up, Girls later.]

I think the movie lacked development since it was only about spoiler[52 or so minutes including the song. Given the technical aspects, I guess it can't be helped that the girls didn't have fancy clothes for debut since they lacked funds too. Hmm...]

Last edited by Stark700 on Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
"Go find some golden girls!" Oh, god that's gonna put a silly image in my head for this entire movie. I used to love that show and it had such a catchy song.

I ended up stopping the movie a little way through and switching to the TV one because I forgot it had both and a 700meg file, while hefty, isn't completely out of the question if a show is really flashy or has lots of scenes with a grain effect, which a show about idols certainly well might.

Wake Up, Girls has a lot stacked against it for me. I'm not a big fan of the whole idol thing irl. While I respect their insane amount of hard work and the pressure they're under, I'm not a fan of the image and I really don't get how it can take 10 girls to sing one song, especially with no credit going to the people who actually made the song. From an anime standpoint it's just hard for me to watch idols without giant robots or microphone beamsabers.

After seeing the first half of the TV show I'm going back to watch the movie. I really messed that one up. But it's made very obvious that you're supposed to totally watch the movie first.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Yes I agree.

Watch movie FIRST.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
the movie was good. nice set up for the TV series.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
Okay, I finally know why there are two "episode 1s" on Crunchyroll. Sadly, I watched the first episode of the show first, haven't yet seen the movie. But I did get the impression that I was missing something from the episode.

It was still enjoyable, though I am a bit skeptical of the ability of the show to give all the characters adequately distinct personality and development. But it's fun enough that I'll at least watch a bit more.

Starting with the movie. It's a shame Crunchyroll doesn't have a better way of differentiating the series and the movie, at least on the Xbox app.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:58 am Reply with quote
Movie + Episode 1

My computer has been messing up so watching it all took a while, I have really been complaining about needing a new laptop in the last few days. But on topic, the movie was not fantastic. The movie felt like it was spending almost all the time it had setting the story up that there was almost no time for the personalities, and with my experience with AKB0048, Symphogear, and Love Live, it is the most important part. Although I don't think that it is a loss, I think something might still come. I thought it interesting that we heard a bit of Nyaruko-san music, which is probably due to the involvement of DIVE II Entertainment

Of note, the voice actresses are not just new to the industry, but all 7 of them happen to share their personal (first) names with their character. It kind of shows that they are quite close to the project, and why the preview involved a snippet of the VA. Probably also quite a bit involving Yutaka Yamamoto who is director and listed under original comcept, I am sure a number of us have somewhat familiarity with some of the contriversy where he was dropped from directing Lucky Star. But it does make me think of Kannagi, which did have a slight idol aspect, perhaps coincidently.

I noticed some panties at the concert part, and I am sure this is tying into what the spoiler[guy deciding to fund them plans.] Not exactly comfortable with that.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:02 am Reply with quote
Really enjoyed the 'movie' (Seven Idols) though I haven't seen the actual first episode of the TV anime yet. I haven't really watched much idol stuff but this one seemed a lot more... grounded than the others. Like how the president spoiler[fled with the remaining money and never paid for the CD prints or concert reservations]. I don't know, this seems a lot more watchable to me than Idolm@ster or Love Live! ever did. That's just the movie though, maybe the TV series will make everything smooth sailing now that spoiler[The I-1 Club former center] joined the roster.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I noticed some panties at the concert part, and I am sure this is tying into what the spoiler[guy deciding to fund them plans.] Not exactly comfortable with that.

nah, i'm pretty sure he wants to see how they spoiler[look in bikinis] for future photo shoots
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to the uninformative nature of CR's site, I watched Episode 1 before the movie. I didn't find it very hard to follow.

My take is I really like the artwork and the character designs. They seemed to put a lot of effort into it. Not only the dance number but even when the girls are just talking to each other it seems they animate the characters that aren't speaking.

Do idol groups intentionally put panty flashes into their routines? I would think the girls would hate the idea and as a promoter you don't want pictures of that floating around the Internet.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Do idol groups intentionally put panty flashes into their routines? I would think the girls would hate the idea and as a promoter you don't want pictures of that floating around the Internet.

My understanding is that it was because of their school uniforms. With proper outfits it wouldn't happen but they just decided that it didn't matter if the audience got a look at their panties.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I'm pretty sure that flashes are common, it's just that they use the same sort of mindset that cheerleaders use by wearing something that is meant to be seen. I think that was what the manager was offering to buy at the store.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
This will be my first time watching an idol series. I enjoyed the movie and first episode. I was surprised to find out that all 7 girls are voiced by new seiyuus. A couple of them sounded familiar, especially the maid girl.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
Wow I never thought I'd say it, but this actually isn't terrible so far. I was totally expecting fanservice garbage (It's there, but not in huge abundance). but the writers appear to be making genuine effort. I mean they could cut down on the melodrama, but it's a decent show.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

I knew that Sudo guy couldn't be entirely trusted. Seriously, he deserved to get beat up and scolded after what he out the girls through in the latest episode.

Anyways, I hope they give the idols some legitimate outfits soon with fancy outlooks.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Good to see president beat up Sudo, he had it coming. I wonder why they keep using the Nyaruko OP. They don't even have the same director, creator , or any common producers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6