• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Ready Player One Trailer Includes Willy Wonka Song Cover

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Did nobody notice that first trailer soundtrack? It was playing this exact song, I could tell it was Willy Wonka's Pure Imagination from the melody.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:40 pm Reply with quote
A Cowboy Bebop reference in a Spielberg movie? What a time to be alive!
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I've just came back from seeing Black Panther & they played the old trailer during the coming attractions. It's good to see a newer version tonight.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
Been to Columbus OH many times, the visions of skyscraping trailer trash gets me laughing every time! WTF, did a tornado go though?? Somebody must reeally hate the place. Don't know how I'll manage watching...
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:10 am Reply with quote
They could call this Pop Culture The Movie and the title would work just as well.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:26 am Reply with quote
The first film written entirely by Member Berries.

The book was mindless resuscitation mixed with rants. It was awful in every sense of the word.
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Been to Columbus OH many times, the visions of skyscraping trailer trash gets me laughing every time! WTF, did a tornado go though?? Somebody must reeally hate the place. Don't know how I'll manage watching...

The director of Ready Player One must really like Harmony Korrine's Gummo....
Mr. Dent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Terrible cover of a wonderful song. Though, I shouldn't be surprised. This'll likely be a terrible adaptation of a terrible book.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:

I was in Columbus when I saw Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and one of the previews was for this movie. When "Columbus, OH [some future date]" flashed on the screen after that kind of image, pretty much the whole theater burst out laughing. I will say at least it's not NYC or LA getting destroyed for the millionth time!

As for the movie itself, I love some references if they fit well into the story or are entertaining (i.e. to pick one from a well known anime, one of my favorite scenes in Haruhi is the one where they're channeling Ace Attorney). ... but this kind of looks like just a bunch of random references for the sake of it so I'm afraid I don't really get the appeal. ^^ As much as I like The Iron Giant, I kind of just have a "but... why?" reaction to seeing it here, though it's possible there's a greater context behind it as I haven't read the book.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:37 am Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:
Did nobody notice that first trailer soundtrack? It was playing this exact song, I could tell it was Willy Wonka's Pure Imagination from the melody.

That, and the fact that Spielberg originally wanted old Gene Wilder to appear in the cameo as Halliday, before Wilder's death spoiled the casting...See, it's like everyone's got a golden ticket for the game, get it, get it?
(But afterwards, Spielberg just did what he always does, and put Mark Rylance in the role instead.)

Apart from the "Wow, remember these?" culture cameos--basically Spielberg's "Roger Rabbit of the 80's", where he threw the book out the window and tried to see how many pop icons he could play Where's Waldo with in his own film--think we can safely say that Spielberg had one OTHER preoccupation on the brain when he took on the story.
Still, at least in that context, it makes more sense than "Pure Imagination" turning up in Thor: Ragnarok...What the heck was up with that?? Confused

Terrible90sDub wrote:
but this kind of looks like just a bunch of random references for the sake of it so I'm afraid I don't really get the appeal. ^^ As much as I like The Iron Giant, I kind of just have a "but... why?" reaction to seeing it here, though it's possible there's a greater context behind it as I haven't read the book.

As to why the Iron Giant--and the Joker and Harley Quinn--appear in the movie but not necessarily the book, that we could we can put down to who made the movie.
Warner wants to remind you they did. Rolling Eyes

As to why the 80's videogame Battletoads show up, that's because Paramount would have complained if a certain other more pop-culturally recognizable team of 80's battle amphibians did.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1