• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Acquires Mamoru Hosoda's Mirai of the Future Film for U.S.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:54 am Reply with quote
Dang I was hoping Funimation would get this one as they have all the other ones. This article states that GKids had the other Hosoda films, but I could’ve sworn Funimation has always had them, unless GKids let the rights expire or something? Oh well, GKids does some amazing dubs. I loved how well they did Mary and the Witch’s Flower.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:21 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Dang I was hoping Funimation would get this one as they have all the other ones. This article states that GKids had the other Hosoda films, but I could’ve sworn Funimation has always had them, unless GKids let the rights expire or something? Oh well, GKids does some amazing dubs. I loved how well they did Mary and the Witch’s Flower.

It may just be theatrical rights. FUNimation did release the other Hosoda films on home video, stream, and digital.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:27 am Reply with quote
I wonder who has Canadian rights since the last film was released by another company on disc for a while.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:32 am Reply with quote
Yay! I MUCH prefer GKids over Funimation. Now we can finally get a Hosoda film in more theaters and festivals.
CR85747

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:39 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
I wonder who has Canadian rights since the last film was released by another company on disc for a while.

Variety says MK2 Mile End.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:37 am Reply with quote
This could at least get Hosoda a possible Oscar nomination. But as someone going on a Hosoda-watching streak, I would still prefer Funimation. That said, IIRC they did share the rights for Summer Wars.
Xe4

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:22 am Reply with quote
Yeah as other people said GKids most certainly never held the rights to any previous Hosoda films, though ANN is not wrong saying they distributed the film, as confusing as that is, since they list them as distributors. I'm not entirely sure of the extent of what that means. Did GKids handle the marketing and getting the films into theaters I wonder? Or maybe help with the festival circuit and during award time.

Regardless I am glad GKids has the rights. That means a better job during the festival circuit and a higher chance of getting an Oscar nomination. I also feel they do a generally better job of releasing to theaters and the films usually end up on some sort of streaming survice after that.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or are we gonna get separate dubs for US and Canada respectively?
LokiReed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully Funimation will still get the distributing rights, once it comes to blu ray. I want my collector's edition damnit. lol
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
Is it just me or are we gonna get separate dubs for US and Canada respectively?

That never happens. The Japanese license holders only give a single Western distributor the right to dub in English, which can then be sub-licensed to other territories.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:18 pm Reply with quote
It's too bad Funimation didn't get this as I enjoy their English dubs. This being GKids, this will probably have a more Western celebrity cast. Which I'm generally fine with but I'll miss hearing Funimation's English voice artists in the dub.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:25 pm Reply with quote
LokiReed wrote:
Hopefully Funimation will still get the distributing rights, once it comes to blu ray. I want my collector's edition damnit. lol
That's my only potential worry, would be nice to have the Hosoda Collections uniform since I finally upgraded the previous releases to collectors edition. GKids does pretty great dubs and it's not like there are any returning characters to worry about, so at least it would be in good hands either way.

Does make me wonder that if GKids has the home media rights, did Funimation pass or are Gkids becoming a force to be reckoned with?

Last edited by Hagaren Viper on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll News is reporting that GKids is titling the movie simply as "Mirai," which in my opinion does not sound as good as "Mirai of the Future." Hopefully that isn't correct. (It is titled Mirai no Mirai after all.)

Last edited by LegitPancake on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:47 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Crunchyroll News is reporting that GKids is titling the movie simply as "Mirai," which in my opinion does not sound as good as "Mirai of the Future." Hopefully that isn't correct.

"Future of the Future" is kind of a terrible title.
An Average Aspie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Animation Magazine article and the response from Gkids here states this acquisition is for all the rights.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2