• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Boogiepop and Others Novel Illustrator Tweets Dissatisfaction With New Anime Designs

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:51 pm Reply with quote
If One Punch Man [by J.C Staff] is a disaster, even though many people like this [Boogiepop], and even if the adaptation is good, a lot of people will hate Madhouse. The Madhouse is already disappointing too!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
They’re not obligated to consult the novel illustrator. This sounds like a lot of sour grapes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dardre

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:06 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
They’re not obligated to consult the novel illustrator. This sounds like a lot of sour grapes.

My impression too.

Is it standard operating procedure to contact the original illustrator when adapting a light novel series? That is a question I think needs to be answered.

If it is, then Madhouse was rude. If not, then yeah it's sour grapes.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Even if they weren't obligated to, I think it would make the show better. I like his Kaneko-esque art.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like spite begetting spite. Maybe there's some behind-the-scenes stuff they're not talking about.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Dardre wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

My impression too.

Is it standard operating procedure to contact the original illustrator when adapting a light novel series? That is a question I think needs to be answered.

If it is, then Madhouse was rude. If not, then yeah it's sour grapes.

The norm is definitely approval by the original novelist. Most cases I've heard, the illustrator is usually involved as well. Shikidouji (the FMP illustrator) was repeatedly consulted and helped directly with designs and redesigns. In manga, the author is usually the illustrator so this is more of a light novel specific complication.

I imagine that yes this was not the norm and Madhouse being somewhat rude, especially when the illustrator is trying to actively reach them to talk about it.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:41 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

You speak the truth. This sounds like envy. I could not care less who illustrated a good story. A good story will be awesome even with stick figures. Look at Higurashi. The art was terrible but the story was great.
MugenPancake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:01 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree....it's like Kino again although in that case it was justified since the art reflected the new one. This is just...not even close to the original designs, it's a more modern I daresay "moe" design to attract a new crowd. It doesn't blend very well with the genre or the tone of the series but all criticism should be held until after it airs.
Mr. Dent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:07 pm Reply with quote
While I prefer the illustrator's take on the characters, I have to say that the anime adaptation has the rights to make whatever design alterations they want. If the original author was complaining, that would be one thing, but I think Madhouse should be allowed to commission new character designs without the direct involvement of the illustrator.
Calico

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad for the guy. I'm not sure how it usually goes, but I'd expect that they'd at least consult the original designer.
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:44 pm Reply with quote
MugenPancake wrote:
I have to agree....it's like Kino again although in that case it was justified since the art reflected the new one. This is just...not even close to the original designs, it's a more modern I daresay "moe" design to attract a new crowd. It doesn't blend very well with the genre or the tone of the series but all criticism should be held until after it airs.

How's this come close to Kino? Kuroboshi Kohaku (LN Kino illustrator) isn't kept in the dark about the new adaptation nor he was excluded by the production staff (he designed several new characters). If anything he' actually MORE involved in the new anime rather than in the old one.

While Ogata Kouji doesn't even know how the new design even look prior the reveal (or if he know it got new anime at all),
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
At least he's not George Lucas.
MugenPancake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:12 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Meongantuk"][quote="MugenPancake"]I have to agree....it's like Kino again although in that case it was justified since the art reflected the new one. This is just...not even close to the original designs, it's a more modern I daresay "moe" design to attract a new crowd. It doesn't blend very well with the genre or the tone of the series but all criticism should be held until after it airs.[/quote]

How's this come close to Kino? Kuroboshi Kohaku (LN Kino illustrator) isn't kept in the dark about the new adaptation nor he was excluded by the production staff (he designed several new characters). If anything he' actually MORE involved in the new anime rather than in the old one.

While Ogata Kouji doesn't even know how the new design even look prior the reveal (or if he know it got new anime at all),[/quote]
No no I don't mean the illustrator's (Kohaku) involvement, I meant the reaction to the design choices. Kino had similar treatment for the 2017 reboot where she looked too "moe" from her old original design, but I said that's justified since Kouhaku literally changed her design away from her old one after vol 10 iirc, that reflected what the reboot showed unlike Boogiepop who hasn't had a change in design.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, I don't know the rule (Answerman, where are you?), but I agree that the case of a written novel can have more freedom with its visual adaptation, as the authorship shall go to the writer. That at least is how I understood it in general, idk if Japanese light novel relied that much on illustrations of the light novel.

But then again, in this case, did Madhouse decide to loosely design the characters solely based on the novel, or did they actually adapt the illustrator's design in the first place? I suppose it's the latter since Ogata is credited as the original character designer. In that case, I think he at least deserves a say on it.
pajmo9

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I don't know whether Madhouse is in the wrong or in the right here, but either way I still don't like the new designs. I'd probably be pissed off too if I was the original illustrator.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3