• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: your name., Speed Racer Nominated for Saturn Awards

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
the FUNimation Entertainment's Speed Racer collector's edition is up for Best DVD/BD Special Edition Release

Oy vey...

Let me tell you about this piece of marketing silliness I bought. First off, I'm sure barely anybody even bought it until recently, & that was only because Amazon decided to finally put it on sale for ~50% off (which is when I decided to go for it); only then did Amazon actually sell out of stock. Second, it's immensely huge, and by that I mean the bust of Speed's head looks to be life-size; it's literally the size of my head! Third, I'm sure the only reason why anyone even went for this thing, including myself, was simply because it's literally the only possible way to get Mach Go Go Go (both the '67 original & the '97 "Restart") in the original Japanese. I still have doubts that FUNi will even release Mach Go Go Go on its own, as it's an intensely niche product, and that goes even more so for Restart, as that barely has any nostalgic cachet over here in general (aside form myself, who even remembers the short-lived & canceled Nickelodeon run?).

I kind of get that it's being given the nomination because it's literally a life-sized bust of Speed Racer's head, but I'm sure there are other, more deserving LEs to choose from.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I would vote for the Night of the Living Dead collector's edition from Criterion. The transfer is absolutely gorgeous, which means a lot for anyone familiar with the film, and the huge wealth of bonus features is to die for. The packaging is also really cool, with an awesome illustration (horse-face Barbra aside).
Varkias

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:43 pm Reply with quote
That Speed Racer set was half off on Amazon???

I'm almost sorry I missed that, but even at half off, that's way too much, no matter how much I'd like to see Mach Go Go Go. Rolling Eyes
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
your name., Speed Racer Nominated for Saturn Awards

It is an exceptionally rare occasion for both of these works to be mentioned in the same headline. One may as well expect Chargeman Ken to be included.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Man, I saw the video of the announcement funi did on the speed racer set and I wish so badly I could have gotten for my dad. He watched speed racer in his childhood and then showed it to me in my childhood.

Sigh, one day. One day.
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Quote:
the FUNimation Entertainment's Speed Racer collector's edition is up for Best DVD/BD Special Edition Release

Oy vey...

Let me tell you about this piece of marketing silliness I bought. First off, I'm sure barely anybody even bought it until recently, & that was only because Amazon decided to finally put it on sale for ~50% off (which is when I decided to go for it); only then did Amazon actually sell out of stock. Second, it's immensely huge, and by that I mean the bust of Speed's head looks to be life-size; it's literally the size of my head! Third, I'm sure the only reason why anyone even went for this thing, including myself, was simply because it's literally the only possible way to get Mach Go Go Go (both the '67 original & the '97 "Restart") in the original Japanese. I still have doubts that FUNi will even release Mach Go Go Go on its own, as it's an intensely niche product

I could choke on my rage from this. Best Special Edition Release? Little extras and the only expletive way to buy Mach Go Go Go?

I'm still not over this release, and I won't be for a long time. I'm the very sort of person that Funimation was going for (wants older anime/ will buy physical media/ is an actual fan of the goddamn show in question) but this is too much.

I don't want this monstrosity, for size or looks, and I certainly don't like being forced to buy 2 shows I don't want in order to get one that I do. I would have been fine with a cheap DVD release or a high end release stacked with extras but not with this. I still don't own it and will not buy it.This is a heartbreak that was 2 years in the making and is not going to leave. God willing Funimation comes through with an individual release or someone else gets the licence for this when it lapses.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:12 pm Reply with quote
I still don't know why Funimation bought the rights for Speed Racer when they never release old anime otherwise and it was clear they had little interest in selling this product to the most number of customers. In terms of anime LE BD releases, even though I'm not a huge fan of the show itself, I have to say I thought the Gate LE was probably the most impressive looking anime LE BD set that I saw was released last year.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Takato: It’s the only old anime which had a live-action Hollywood film in the last ten years, and which appeals to Boomers.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:05 am Reply with quote
FUNi mostly got this show to release their ultra cheap set of the dubbed episodes. I got it for about $21 on release, but I've heard it's going for as low as $12 now. All 51 episodes on Blu-ray. This set is clearly a premium for the ultra die-hard fans. I guess it's possible they might release a barebones subtitled set at some point, but they're less inclined to do something like that than Discotek, Nozomi, or even Sentai.

There's also healthy streaming possibilities with this show, and it's possible they might sub-license the Japanese Mach Go Go Go to Crunchyroll.

Speed Racer isn't as fondly remembered as it was 25+ years ago, but there's still a market for this show well outside the core anime demographic. It did spawn a Hollywood live action film after all (from the Wachowskis no less). Even though it flopped, it still made about $43 million at the domestic box office, and has something of a cult following a decade later. That's not nothing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1