• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Most Anticipated Anime of Spring 2018

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:12 am Reply with quote
Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku is easily one of my favorite manga of all time. Two childhood friends who bonded over being nerds getting together in their mid-20s? And their chemistry is actually solid? Sign me up. I’ve been tired of a lot of romances that focus too much on the pursuit, so having not one, but two legit adult couples is one of the series best points.

I would say it’s just as nerdy, or even nerdier, than MMO Junkie since the manga drops some references that I don’t even get, and they attend anime conventions, and play MMOs together. And unless the anime changes things up they don’t actually spend a lot of time focusing on their job. It’s all really cute and feels very much like stuff a nerdy couple would do.

So both Wotakoi and My Hero Academia are my most anticipated anime of the season. There’s a good amount of reboots and anticipates sequels this season, I’ve noticed.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote
It's a little astonishing to me how many things I'm looking forward to this season. On the list of things I'm genuinely looking forward to, I've got My Hero Academia S3, Fullmetal Panic, Steins;Gate 0, Golden Kamuy, and Megalo Box. As for things that I'm interested in but on a more wait and see basis are Hisone to Maso-tan, Cutie Honey Universe, Gegege no Kitarou, and Lupin III. And as for shows that I'll probably check out if they seem any good, I've got Sword Art Online Alternative, Devil's Line, Mahou Shoujo Site, Caligula, and Souten no Ken. It's looking like a pretty packed season here.
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
I already forgot what I voted for on that poll and it seems I can't go back and look anymore. Anyway the new Full Metal Panic is definitely among my most anticipated shows of spring 2018. I really liked both the first and the second season (though I didn't care much for Fumoffu) so it's cool to get to see more. Also looking forward to more My Hero Academia. I don't really know what to expect from Sword Art Online: Alternative Gun Gale Online but I'm a fan of SAO so I'm gonna be checking that one out. I can't really say why I found Highschool DxD's 3rd season to be such a slog despite liking the first 2 seasons but I'm still looking forward to a new season of DxD.
Ruddor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:50 am Reply with quote
I'm usually not one to bet on original series before they air, so my picks are all based on series and manga I already follow.

My Hero Academia: Yeah, I know everyone loves it, but I need to be honest with myself. I read the manga and let me tell you, the stuff being adapted this season is good. I personally consider it to be the peak of the series.
Gundam Build Divers: I'm not a huge Gundam fan, but for some reason I loved the the previous two series. Something about mech battles mixed with levity and exaggeration just really works for me.
Golden Kamuy: Everyone's talking about the setting and action, so instead I'll mention the series' weird (in a good way) sense of humor. Also the later chapters have a lot of male fan service (as in a bunch of buff naked guys hanging out in a sauna) if that's something you look for.
Piano no Mori: More people need to be talking a bout this. It's a well-written series with some great characters.
Hinamatsuri: Meanwhile no one is talking about this. It's a fun, off-kilter comedy with with less than exemplary leads. If you're looking for a feel good series about a dad raising his daughter you DEFINITELY won't find it here.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
Golden Kamuy is the series I'm excited about the most, since there's a lot of material to work on, and it's Drifters-level violent, so to counter all the sweetness from the last season, it'll be a good, strong series to watch.

As a musician, I'm intrigued about Piano no Mori, but I know it already had several adaptations, both animated and live-action, so I'll be keeping an eye out on how they turn this into a series. Also, the fact that it already finished will help a bit in condensing the story.

Shokugeki no Souma's continuation is of course a must. I really want to see spoiler[Azami beaten to a pulp. That b******! I know it hasn't happened in the manga, but still!]

Again, just to compare and critique, the outrageously commented on by ANN new Captain Tsubasa version. Again, I'm sure it's going to be a disaster (I still am furious about Football Head having brown hair), but I can't help but watch it. It was, after all, the first anime series I watched.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:12 pm Reply with quote
New series: Golden Kamuy

Continuing series: Darling in the Franxx

New season: My Hero Academia Season 3
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Lots of interesting stuff this spring. Golden Kamui, Full Metal Panic and Legend of the Galactic Heroes are top of the list for me though.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Ruddor wrote:
Golden Kamuy: Everyone's talking about the setting and action, so instead I'll mention the series' weird (in a good way) sense of humor. Also the later chapters have a lot of male fan service (as in a bunch of buff naked guys hanging out in a sauna) if that's something you look for.

You damn right that's something to look forward to. Better than the bean-poles boys we see nowadays.
RyuuGP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:24 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Hisone to Maso-tan? I mean just watch the PV and you will understand.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Seconding Hisone to Maso-tan; it could easily be terrible, but it's got a nicely throwback visual style and the trailer is charming enough to give me some hope. I'm crossing my fingers for Creature Family too; Chinese productions so far have been a pretty miss-or-miss affair, but this one shows some real promise. I'm really hopeful for Kitaro too, though I don't know if it'll wind up being to my tastes or not.

And I'm amazed that nobody yet has mentioned the new FLCL...
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm a little surprised that Jacob was the only one who mentioned Steins;Gate 0.

I've decided this season to focus on airing shows and taking a break from my backlog (with the exception of movies/OVAs I can watch on the weekend) for one major reason: watching anime at school may be problematic as no one ever shuts the hell up, and I fear it might be affecting my enjoyment of the anime. Furthermore, I try to schedule my school day around when I sneak in episodes, which may be hurting me academically.

Anyways, the series I currently picked out for this season:

Aggretsuko - Looks like a fun watch, though I've never seen the original shorts. Every episode drops at once on Netflix April 20th.
Amanchu! Advance - I enjoyed the first season (wish we could get a dub/home video release), so I'm excited to see my favorite blossoming lesbians back for more Engrish and diving.
Hisone to Maso-tan - I added this one to my PTW months ago simply because I loved the art. Bones is also usually a pretty solid studio.
Steins;Gate 0 - Much like Jacob, I can only hope that this continuation of the story can live up to the original. The VN has positive reviews.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Love is hard for an Otaku, My hero and Golden kamuy are the three I'm most looking forward to the most. Especially since I pretty much had the manga for the former on an indefinite "get back to it later" list.

Sword art online spinoff is also something I'm looking forward to since it's got a different and better writer, and hopefully won't be as disappointing as it's predecessors, since the concept was always great, just not the execution.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
1. Steins;Gate 0 because I love the 2011 series.

2. Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory because I want to see more after TSR.

3. My Hero Academia 3 because I am starting to really like the characters and premise.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, I do like the Hinamatsuri manga. On the other, the stuff that would fit into a first cour isn't the best, as the peer group it gradually introduces are the most consistent source of laughs.
tailor31415

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:47 pm Reply with quote
glad to see FMP and Golden Kamuy getting some love, but I wish there was more for Piano no Mori. the manga is really, really good and I'm dying to see more of it animated than just the OVA from years ago!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4