• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: After the Rain—Episodes 1-12

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:00 am Reply with quote
This was a solid A for me, and my favorite series of last season (just nudging out A Place Further Than the Universe which occasionally got just a bit TOO melodramatic).

I actually found the animation/art really stood out since it was stylistically so different from most modern anime. Not to mention a few key sequences were simply gorgeous.

The nostalgia for youth hit me hard with this one, and I loved it!
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:02 am Reply with quote
great review. pretty much exactly how I felt. I think I was a bit more disappointed in the final bit than you, though. And it's definitely one of the best dramas of the year, but that honestly isn't saying much right now when there's almost no competition.

Really could relate with Kondo in a lot of ways. Not as old as him, but I'm just the type of person that loves to live in the past and it had me longing for years gone by. Character designs put me off at first but they grew on me pretty quickly. Scenery was beautiful...but I wish it actually rained more lol. Overall the show gets a 8/10 or a "very good" from me.

Absolutely loved the OP and ED. possibly my favorite combo of the season. CHiCO with HoneyWorks and Aimer are awesome
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:44 am Reply with quote
The later half was a mixed bag for me, on one hand Kondo and his friend part was really interesting and I wished it was a bigger focus, on the other hand Akira side was really uninteresting and felt like just another high school drama were everyone overdramatize everything.

The ultimate resolution with Akira and running spoiler[was a bit underwhelming too from my perspective, most people stop there club activity once they graduate and she's almost graduating, so...]
melmouth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Japanese creators of manga and anime like to "skirt" violating taboos. In this case, of course, the taboo in question is obvious. However, anime creators will do almost anything to avoid breaking taboo. The entertainment punch they're after is in the APPROACH to violating the taboo. They're not going to make trouble for themselves by actually crossing the line. For the most elaborate case of that syndrome, see "I can't believe my Sister is This Cute!" So just relax and enjoy the romance and sweetness, and the totally top quality art and staging.

But, inevitably, that most overworked of all themes in anime and manga, "Do Your Best", or "Strive!" for short, is going to take this one over too toward the end. I've seldom seen it inserted more incongruously than here.

Plus I'm disgusted with this anime for its use and reuse of smoking in many scenes, complete with cigarette product placement in several. What a nasty thing to do to Japanese young people!
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
melmouth wrote:
Japanese creators of manga and anime like to "skirt" violating taboos. In this case, of course, the taboo in question is obvious. However, anime creators will do almost anything to avoid breaking taboo. The entertainment punch they're after is in the APPROACH to violating the taboo. They're not going to make trouble for themselves by actually crossing the line. For the most elaborate case of that syndrome, see "I can't believe my Sister is This Cute!" So just relax and enjoy the romance and sweetness, and the totally top quality art and staging.

But, inevitably, that most overworked of all themes in anime and manga, "Do Your Best", or "Strive!" for short, is going to take this one over too toward the end. I've seldom seen it inserted more incongruously than here.

Plus I'm disgusted with this anime for its use and reuse of smoking in many scenes, complete with cigarette product placement in several. What a nasty thing to do to Japanese young people!

After the Rain never felt like it was trying to skirt the issue (i.e. May-December romance / older man with high school girl) in any titillating way, though. Very different from all the moe / loli otaku-bate little sister shows.
Zeino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings about After the Rain. On the one hand, it was very compelling in it's choice of particular drama, beautifully animated and never went down the skeevy lane as was feared in the beginning. On the other, I can't help but think this article that I read about it from Anime Feminist several weeks ago made some very good and devastating points on it: https://www.animefeminist.com/versus-rain-ristorante-paradiso-delicate-art-age-gap-romance/
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:11 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
I have mixed feelings about After the Rain. On the one hand, it was very compelling in it's choice of particular drama, beautifully animated and never went down the skeevy lane as was feared in the beginning. On the other, I can't help but think this article that I read about it from Anime Feminist several weeks ago made some very good and devastating points on it: https://www.animefeminist.com/versus-rain-ristorante-paradiso-delicate-art-age-gap-romance/

I get what the author of that article is saying (although I haven't seen the other show to compare), but the problem with it is that (at least in the anime version) there is really NO ROMANCE or relationship between Akira and Kondo. Moreso than the gender of the parties or any type of romance story, I felt like the portrayal of people at different ages is what got me. As a mid 30's female, I super related to Kondo, but could appreciate Akira's perspective, as well.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Nick, for giving this show a good send off. After the Rain was my favorite series last season and I do hope it gets a Blu-ray release for US audience (subtitles perfectly OK).
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:03 pm Reply with quote
While the show was gorgeous to look at, I have to say that as a fan of the manga, I was disappointed with it. I get that it's an adaption and that they only had 12 episodes (plus it's getting an OVA if I remember correctly) to work with, but seeing one of my favorite series get a hack job in terms of story was a letdown. Moments I was looking forward to never made it in at all or were just brushed aside. Despite that, what did make it in was still a treat to see, but I honestly don't see myself ever watching this again. I'll just stick with the manga.
Shinigami-Seishou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I loved this show, despite it feeling a bit rushed or...just clustered near the ending.

It started out very one dimensional, but as it went on the show built up in complexity. More characters to introduce etc to get a feeling across. So I feel like the audience missed out on some key moments that would initiate more romance, (which wasn't the point to this show, I think it was more of a learning experience for them) It just can't be helped when it's so short.

I'll have to disagree with you on the music. It was one of the things that stood out to me the most during some moments, which really brought the show into a new light for me.

After the Rain was a gentle ride for me, and I'm okay with that.
St. Epan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:48 am Reply with quote
Why After the Rain's original title is "Koi wa Ameagari no You ni" and not "Ai wa Ameagari no You ni"? That's the question one should answer before writing about it.

Important nuance was lost in translation of the title which gave rise to all this "exploitation" and "predation" stupid talks. Unfortunately even on ANN.

And it is s shame because KoiAme is thoughtful and heartfelt anime about people, their circumstances and their relationships. It is occasionally awkward and a bit flawed. I feel it is very human. We need more series like this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1