• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Obsessions of an Otome Gamer eBook 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:10 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed this one a lot, and is an early contender for LN of the year for me. I was really drawn to Rika's newfound passion for music, and how hard she works for it. It may help that i played instruments in school, but overall i enjoy a protagonist that works so hard at something.

Like Rebecca mentioned, the writing is great. I loved how we're slowly given hints and clues that something's not right with this situation, and the stakes may be much higher than expected. I fully recommend this novel to everyone, it's a heck of a read.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:50 am Reply with quote
I feel like I've seen this artist before but I can't remember where. Glad to see more light novels aimed at girls!
futuresoon

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:19 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like the sort of thing I'd be into, but...the guys think the heroine is seven years old? And they're in love with her anyway? Am I just misunderstanding something here? It seems very strange that the review wouldn't remark on that. Or are all three of them elementary schoolers? That's not really better, since the girl's 18 herself. I must be missing something, but I don't know what.
Merxamers

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:32 pm Reply with quote
futuresoon wrote:
This sounds like the sort of thing I'd be into, but...the guys think the heroine is seven years old? And they're in love with her anyway?

Any "romance" is framed as being part of elementary school life; i assume this is a way for the characters to meet and get to know each other before "romance" starts in earnest in middle and high school. The lead also doesn't stay 7 years old the whole time, lol; that's just when she first remembers her past life. I can understand the concerns from reading a blurb summary, but it's not squicky, i promise.
futuresoon

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Ohhh, okay, that makes sense. Thank you! In retrospect, a first volume "covering the entirety of Mashiro's elementary school experience" does indicate that the story wouldn't stay in elementary school. My bad.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
As I understand it, futuresoon, the next volume is middle school, the third is high school, and then the author spins off into two routes for college, one for Sou and one for Kou.

And, yes, this isn't squicky at all! I'm with Merxamers in naming this as a major contender for best LN of the year.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:22 pm Reply with quote
It sounds interesting! I like the female isekai stories because they're not so focused on like fanservice and being super powerful.
Also glad to hear the elementary school thing isn't played in some weird way.

Quote:
Kou's twin sister Kon – the heroine of the original game

Wait, so Kon is the character you play in the original game? And Kou and Sou are the love interests? So one of the two love interests is your brother? If that's so, damn, no wonder hardly anyone plays the game.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh, no! Laughing Probably should have explained that one better! In the original game Kon isn't Kou's twin; that was a way to incorporate her into the reboot. (Or possibly something more sinister; in any event, she's not his sister when she can end up with him.)
harminia

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Oh, no! Laughing Probably should have explained that one better! In the original game Kon isn't Kou's twin; that was a way to incorporate her into the reboot. (Or possibly something more sinister; in any event, she's not his sister when she can end up with him.)

Ohhh, okay, that makes sense! haha, thank you for explaining!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Well, this is interesting. Usually the otome-game isekai stories put the main character in the position of a villainess from the original game, forcing her to figure out a way to avoid the canon Bad End for that character.

(Examples include "It Seems Like I Got Reincarnated Into The World of a Yandere Otome Game" -- the oldest example I've found -- "I Reincarnated into an Otome Game as a Villainess With Only Destruction Flags", "An Otome Game’s Burikko Villainess Turned into a Magic Otaku", and a whole lot more. One of the most popular stories, "I Will Live with Humility and Dependability as My Motto", changes things up by having the setting be a shoujo manga instead of an otome game. Yes, this is a whole subgenre.)
MavenRaven

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:19 pm Reply with quote
As a former band geek and a current otome fan, this series seems too good to pass up. I'm also happy that the story seems to be well-received here and on other sites. I haven't heard of the publisher Cross Infinite World before, so thanks for bringing them to my attention.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1