• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Viz Media Produces Animated Series Seis Manos for Netflix

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyren

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
My interest for this is zero.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:35 pm Reply with quote
That premise is cracking me up so much, sounds pretty over the top, will probably give it a try
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:36 pm Reply with quote
An anime in Mexico...

That alone is really unique given how Japan-insular anime is (even more so today than in the past).
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:42 pm Reply with quote
So Anime original as in this is a Anime they are making with a studio in Japan or is this one of those titles with a Anime design and some tropes thrown in
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
An anime in Mexico...

That alone is really unique given how Japan-insular anime is
Didn't Shin Chan go holiday there a few years ago?
donhumberto

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:

Whatever.... Rolling Eyes

Anyways, this could be really cool. I loved Castlevania so if this is half as good I'd be more than happy. Definitely keeping an eye on this.
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Japanese definition of anime: Any kind of animation, not matter what country came from.

That's the reason i prefer to talk about Japanese Anime, when is animation made in Japan (some parts of it can be made in Korea or China) with Japanese producers, for the Japanese audience.

Seis Manos is American anime.

When Netflix call something "original anime" it can be Japanese anime or American anime.
For example Castlevania is a American anime based on a Japanese game.

That be said, the plot of this American anime don't attracts me.

Last edited by Jonny Mendes on Wed May 09, 2018 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
WikiSonic

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
An anime in Mexico...

That alone is really unique given how Japan-insular anime is (even more so today than in the past).

Well, it's not an anime (no Japanese staff) so that's probably how it came about.
Quote:
...given how Japan-insular anime is (even more so today than in the past).

How long ago in the past was this? Anime has largely been made in Japan by Japanese people for the domestic market and has mostly featured Japanese characters for quite a while. It's integral to what anime is: animation made in Japan.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like one of those schlocky DTV action films from the 80's,so it could be a lot of fun.
Marzan

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:11 pm Reply with quote
The last time there' was a Mexican connotation in anime we got good ole Tequila Gundam.

Just for the record, there's no such thing as a "Federale". It's either a Policia Federal or Federales (that's the plural). Federale is something Martin Lawrence said in one of his films.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:36 pm Reply with quote
All I know is that I want to see a cameo by Chad from Bleach!
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Let's me spell the obvious, it is being called an "anime" because the plot is either too complex and/or has "adult situations" which can range from violence, nudity or really "boring" stuff like politics that a pre-teen will not be interested in, will not understand or the adults deem it is improper for them.

I hope they correct the "Federale" mistake or move the whole setting to Italy instead.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Optimistically it has some potential but most likely it will be a generic kids action show. After what happened with Urahara I get the sense that the companies that translate anime don't really understand what makes it popular.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:

K

I'll be looking forward to this. Original content from Viz Media? What's next? Original content from Aniplex of America? I guess if that was the case then the BDs would cost the price of a PS4 game at launch.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Anime-inspired animations tend to do very well (Avatar, Teen Titans, Ben 10, AEon Flux, Castlevania, etc.). I think it will depend more on Viz themselves. On the one hand they made Edge of Tomorrow, but on the other, they made Death Note and are making Detective Pikachu. I'll keep my hopes up, but this could still go either way.
Marc Nix

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Good on ANN for swatting Netflix off the use of the term "anime" in the press release here. It's produced by Americans, written by the co-writer of Machete, and animated in Texas. Anime?

(LucasFilm was much more tactful in describing the new Dave Filoni show Star Wars Resistance as having an "anime-inspired style". Fine with that, the marketing is not trying to crassly co-opt a fanbase.)

mangamuscle wrote:
Let's me spell the obvious, it is being called an "anime" because the plot is either too complex and/or has "adult situations" which can range from violence, nudity or really "boring" stuff like politics that a pre-teen will not be interested in, will not understand or the adults deem it is improper for them.

Yeah, that's a fair guess. We've only had a handful of shows like Spawn over the years, so if it is action, sci-fi, comedy, martial arts ... totally unexpected, not kid's stuff, they might end up calling it "anime" even if it's not straight from Japan.

WikiSonic wrote:
Anime has largely been made in Japan by Japanese people for the domestic market and has mostly featured Japanese characters for quite a while. It's integral to what anime is: animation made in Japan.

That's generally the definition I prefer, AWO's simple boiling down to anime being just animation made for the Japanese audience. The audience can ultimately have a larger, global base target (and one could argue if things made as co-productions like Batman Ninja or The Animatrix are "made for Japan" since Japan is a minority market at that scale of release,) but the definition keeps things simple and also avoids some of the vulgarity in the battles over what qualifies. (If this thread were to degrade into deciding what level of 'purity' various co-pro/outscourced anime works are, good will have lost.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3