• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shell Life reviews: change Rental rating to Streaming?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 4:05 pm Reply with quote
For Shelf Life reviews, among the 3 possible rating recommendations of Buy, Rent or Perishable, perhaps it's time to change a Rental worthy title to Streaming instead?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:43 am Reply with quote
That makes sense to me. I'm not sure you can rent anime DVDs or Blu-rays around here anymore. All the video stores are gone.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:22 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
That makes sense to me. I'm not sure you can rent anime DVDs or Blu-rays around here anymore. All the video stores are gone.

By that same logic not all dvds or BR are streamable. So that again is a term that does not work for all titles.

configspace wrote:
For Shelf Life reviews, among the 3 possible rating recommendations of Buy, Rent or Perishable, perhaps it's time to change a Rental worthy title to Streaming instead?

I get the point being made but I personally fail to see the need for a change. I mean you can simply insert whatever term you like personally for the "rent" category. The intent of that category is obvious. Changing the verbiage would just be playing with semantics when the intent is obvious and clear. Plus part of the whole thing with Shelf Life is whether or not the titles in question should go on your shelves.You can't put a digital copy on your shelf nor stream a copy on your shelf. It's just part of the whole setup. If they were to change the Rent category to anything than changing it to "Watch" would make more sense and keep in line with the whole "Shelf" gimmick.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Stream actually doesn't work as a replacement for Rent. Because Shelf Life are reviews of physical releases, and they have extras on them that aren't available on the streaming sites. (I haven't read Shelf Life in a while, but I remember there being comments on extras and physical goodies before).

Also, if it were changed to streaming, what would be the difference between Shelf Life and the streaming reviews (not the weekly ones, but the overall series reviews). Personally, I think there needs to remain a distinction between reviews of the shows themselves, and reviews of the physical releases (i.e. Shelf Life).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:47 pm Reply with quote
The point is that outside the larger metropolitan areas, rental is simply not an option. We do need another name for the category. I think "Streaming" is a good option but I'm open to other options.

@Psycho 101

At least around here, there never was an option of renting everything out on disk. Blockbuster had only handful of titles and none of the other rental stores hand any, I looked. Yes, there was Netflix for rental of hard copies, but I became aware of that by reason of a thread in the anime forum discussing how bad their service was. Limited titles and damaged or unavailable disks from a series.

Regardless, the fact that a given show is not available for streaming should be part of any review. "If you want to see this you have to buy it or borrow the disks from someone".

@Dessa

I think a Streaming does work as a replacement for "Rental" Especially since for much of the audience, rental is not a valid option. Since it is a review of the hard copy, it should always discuss any difference between the streaming version and the disk version whether those difference are revised animation, improved audio or visual presentation or on disk extras. (on disk extras are really thin on the ground these days) Those differences often determine if it is worth buying something you can stream. Saying that a title is only streamworthy says that the disk version is not worth the money or that the show is not worth watching more than once. To me, "Perishable" says that a show is not worth even bothering to stream. ("I suffered through this so you don't have to")

There are, or used to be other disk based reviews outside of Shelf Life. The distinction between them and the Shelf Life reviews is that they are not listed under the heading "Shelf Life."
configspace

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:00 am Reply with quote
I understand the purpose of Shelf Life is to review physical discs and that they usually differ from the streaming versions in some ways, but Alan45 has perfectly elaborated my thoughts on this above, given the disappearance of rental shops and having no other real alternative to outright buying. In that respect, Rental would be more like: wait until it goes on sale or massively discounted (or when Funimation releases a SAVE set or Anime Classics a few years later)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1