• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yuri!!! on Ice Anime Film Reveals Staff, Title, 2019 Date, Visual

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Idgal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:39 am Reply with quote
100% sure that it will be a movie about young Victor past and maybe the other characters when they were younger in a cameo. it can also means there will be a season 2 as a given to continue the present story.

Last edited by Idgal on Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:03 am; edited 2 times in total
space.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:42 am Reply with quote
Very excited about this one. That sky looks very much like one from a 90s OVA.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:59 am Reply with quote
I'm excited to learn more about Victor's backstory, which the visual and title seem to indicate. However I still hope we get some scenes of him with Yuuri, especially since a movie would likely allow them to take more chances with how to depict it than a TV show (considering the creators have indicated that TV censorship affected how the kiss was depicted). Maybe there will still be some present-day framing device?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:14 am Reply with quote
It's a common misconception but Yuri On Ice is not a BL anime. It's a sports drama that happens to be about a same sex couple, but if you're only interested in this movie for the chance of seeing some R rated Yuuri and Viktor softcore smut, you're probably going to be disappointed. For me, I'm excited about this movie for the chance to learn more about Viktor's past and getting to see the story animated with a big movie budget.
Oggers

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:22 am Reply with quote
In before crossovers with Yuri on Ice and Revolutionary Girl Utena since both of their movies have "Adolescence" in the titles...

For real, though, I'm super excited to see what this movie will be like! I also watched the livestream for Yuri on Concert and it did not disappoint.
Idgal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:25 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
It's a common misconception but Yuri On Ice is not a BL anime. It's a sports drama that happens to be about a same sex couple, but if you're only interested in this movie for the chance of seeing some R rated Yuuri and Viktor softcore smut, you're probably going to be disappointed. For me, I'm excited about this movie for the chance to learn more about Viktor's past and getting to see the story animated with a big movie budget.

100% agree, I hate that some fans are so into the romance part of the series that they forget it's about personal growth. What is this need for some fans to be bluntly shown that Victor and Yuuri are in a relationship? with all the nuances in the series, we know they are.

with anime movie running usually 90 min, it's the perfect length to tell Victor'd past and his reasons for skating. honestly Victor in the tv series was a somewhat mysterious figure, like a fairy, we know he's the best, but what is the passion and drive that made him the best.
Idgal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:28 am Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
In before crossovers with Yuri on Ice and Revolutionary Girl Utena since both of their movies have "Adolescence" in the titles....

spoiler: Victor turns into a car at the end
Saturn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:

100% agree, I hate that some fans are so into the romance part of the series that they forget it's about personal growth. What is this need for some fans to be bluntly shown that Victor and Yuuri are in a relationship? with all the nuances in the series, we know they are.

with anime movie running usually 90 min, it's the perfect length to tell Victor'd past and his reasons for skating. honestly Victor in the tv series was a somewhat mysterious figure, like a fairy, we know he's the best, but what is the passion and drive that made him the best.

One could easily argue that romance, and particularly romance for shy Yuuri, is a huge part of personal growth. The great thing about the show is that there are so many different facets to enjoy.
SailorTralfamadore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:49 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I think there's a difference between what most fans want to see in terms of "pushing boundaries" vs. "R-rated Yuuri and Viktor softcore smut." Most people would just like to see an uncensored kiss? Jokes about Adolescence of Utena aside, most of us don't really expect to see them making out naked on top of a car.

(Also, fyi, this is Rose Bridges, streaming reviewer. Since your post seemed to be in response to mine, I figured you might not interpret it that way if you knew who was writing it, since we are Twitter mutuals and all that)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Idgal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:03 am Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I think there's a difference between what most fans want to see in terms of "pushing boundaries" vs. "R-rated Yuuri and Viktor softcore smut." Most people would just like to see an uncensored kiss? Jokes about Adolescence of Utena aside, most of us don't really expect to see them making out naked on top of a car.

I think that everyone would agree if the movie turns out to be all smut between Victor and Yuuri vs. the usually composition style of the series,
we would still be all happy Laughing :
Dragonsandphoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:28 am Reply with quote
The trailer itself has this really somber and melancholic feel to it, plus the sad music, but I would really amused if the actual movie turns out to be way more lighthearted, similar to the show itself.

But actually, if it does turn to be a prequel movie with mainly Victor's backstory I don't mind some angst. Really, I just want more YOI, it's been 2 years and my ass is thirsty for more material.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
Finally! For a moment I thought the producers had given up on making more money off this very successful properly. I hope this movie is worth it and enjoyable for the fans of the tv series.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:04 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:

(Also, fyi, this is Rose Bridges, streaming reviewer. Since your post seemed to be in response to mine, I figured you might not interpret it that way if you knew who was writing it, since we are Twitter mutuals and all that)
I didn't realize it was you Rose though I should have guessed from the avatar. I certainly wouldn't say no to seeing more scenes of intimacy between Viktor and Yuuri, but as long as the movie is entertaining, I would be ok with it because I feel like the show gave us enough confirmation of their relationship. But maybe if it's a Viktor prequel they might show us more of the pole dancing scene between Viktor and Yuuri in more detail since we only got that scene as an ending credits flashback in the show.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm psyched for a prequel story expanding on Viktor's younger years, and I do so hope it goes the way some others think it will and this is the lead-in to season 2.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Viktor or Yuuri needs to turn into a car at some point in the movie. That's the rules if they have Adolescence in the title of an anime movie.

Hopefully we'll see a squee-worthy marriage ceremony between Viktor & Yuuri too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2