• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Revue Starlight Anime's BD Releases Include Unaired Shorts

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:30 am Reply with quote
I hope Sentai will include them. But I won't be surprised if they didn't since that's been the pattern with a number of their releases so far.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:11 am Reply with quote
I am surprised that this show got off to a great start. About time we got a cute girls series without that Mr. Self-Insert garbage. Even better, it has a handful of yuri. I am loving the anime already.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:42 am Reply with quote
^I mean we have the third season of Yama no Susume and Harukana Receive are airing at the same time as this, Comic Girls from last season, and Slow Start and Yuru Camp from Winter, and I might throw in Koizumi-san and Takunomi, among arguably others from the Winter season. So I don’t see where you are coming from on this, or at least I don’t see how it lines up with the evidence.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote
I've watched it here in Japan raw.

Yes it's an amazing show - starts quite ordinary school stuff but then at 17 minutes in...........I say nothing.............

I've got all of the CD's released so far. They can SING.

Put's some of the more popular idol groups to be shame to be honest. I like the fact that this is a combined live action musical and anime franchise as they are taking trained stage actresses and putting them in to an anime and well the quality shows I reckon.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Oh snap! BanG Dream has a boy band? No wonder its girls' division is crumbling. Cool
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
@John Hayabusa Toji no Miko also aired until last season and that is both a media mix and doesn’t have a male lead (only male characters are one girl’s grandfather and father and a number of nameless soldiers IIRC) which I neglected to mention earlier. If anything, what’s rare about Revue Starlight is that its media mix includes a stage play, but given the premise, that isn’t too surprising.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:17 pm Reply with quote
OK so bringing this thread back on topic after completely ireleveant discussion.

Has anyone else apart from me seen the live action version of this ? Curious as to other peoples opinions.

At least right now it doesn't look like the live action version is licensed which is a shame really.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:46 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
@John Hayabusa Toji no Miko also aired until last season and that is both a media mix and doesn’t have a male lead (only male characters are one girl’s grandfather and father and a number of nameless soldiers IIRC) which I neglected to mention earlier. If anything, what’s rare about Revue Starlight is that its media mix includes a stage play, but given the premise, that isn’t too surprising.

I know about Toji no Miko and though the game has a few more males, they are not as significant as the ones from Symphogear. Toji no Miko is a good anime but it could have needed more production value, same goes for the game.

Revue Starlight is also doing live-action stage plays. Some people keep saying that it is another idol series but I hope they make more of those plays to dispense that.

gumbaloom wrote:
Has anyone else apart from me seen the live action version of this ? Curious as to other peoples opinions.

At least right now it doesn't look like the live action version is licensed which is a shame really.

I believe they have done one but I have not seen it. I will give it a try soon.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:43 pm Reply with quote
The first came out on bluray not too long ago in Japan.

Theres a second one due in October (the blu-ray has a slip of paper so you can get preorder access)

I like how they have it in 2 sections - the "musical" part and they also have a live part to show case songs . Kinda reminds me of how Takarzuka operate where they have a "show" after the musical.

I think thats what makes the difference for me from the likes of Love Live Sunshine or the like as there is no "hiding" when on the stage. If you don't have the voice or the ability it shows.

For example I have seen clips of the Nogizaka 46 Sailor Moon musical when it first aired in Japan - the voice was really weak but these actresses can hold their own so I know that there isn't any "production" with this.

It's so obvious with the current range of girl groups when they are being heavily produced by the record company.
John Hayabusa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:58 pm Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
I think thats what makes the difference for me from the likes of Love Live Sunshine or the like as there is no "hiding" when on the stage. If you don't have the voice or the ability it shows.

From this series' premise, you will not just sing and dance around. You will also act with your fellow performers to make a story in stages loaded with different backgrounds and props. Capitalizing on stage plays sounds good but this requires more talent and production. That is what separates theater from idol and this is what will separate Revue Starlight from other multimedia series. I will go check out the live-action stage play later.
Random Name

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:42 am Reply with quote
John Hayabusa wrote:

I know about Toji no Miko and though the game has a few more males, they are not as significant as the ones from Symphogear. Toji no Miko is a good anime but it could have needed more production value, same goes for the game.
Please don't tell me you are bothered by the males in Symphogear...the girls are undoubted lesbians in that show. Besides Genjuurou is so badass.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1