• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Adds Content Warning to Goblin Slayer 1st Ep

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:50 pm Reply with quote
I am very much against adding warnings
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I feel Crunchyroll is adding fuel to the fire, oh well I just avoid Anime forums for a while then. I wanted to talk about Zombie Land Saga and other anime of the season, but the forums I go to just talk about Goblin Slayer and how it triggers people
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:

Why? It's standard for movies to have ratings and also for TV shows - they also typically warn for episodes with particularly disturbing or triggering content.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:54 pm Reply with quote
The bigger issue was rating the episode PG at first. There shouldn't be a need for any other content warning.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
TheOtakuX wrote:

Why? It's standard for movies to have ratings and also for TV shows - they also typically warn for episodes with particularly disturbing or triggering content.

I'm honestly surprised Crunchyroll didn't put a warning in the first place?
Did they have no idea what Goblin Slayer was before they licensed it?
Marzan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Trigger warnings have now reached anime.
shakir0247

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:

Why?
They literally hurt no one, help people who want to avoid that kind of content, and are easily ignorable for everyone else.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:00 pm Reply with quote
smh at people acting like content warnings and ratings aren't something that has been around for as long as most of us have been alive ...
BottyProductio1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:02 pm Reply with quote
TheOtakuX wrote:

Well, you want your kid to wind up watching this by accident?

Also, there's ratings for everything really.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
BottyProductio1 wrote:
TheOtakuX wrote:

Well, you want your kid to wind up watching this by accident?

Also, there's ratings for everything really.

I'll happily show my son the show.

Quote:
They literally hurt no one, help people who want to avoid that kind of content, and are easily ignorable for everyone else.

They're annoying to normal people, and they let other people hide rather than watch entertaining shows.

Last edited by TheOtakuX on Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Content warnings are fair. I personally have an issue when they get so specific that they spoil stuff within the episode, but that isn't a problem with Goblin Slayer. I can't help but be amused that people went into a show called "Goblin Slayer" and expected a non-dark show (not expecting that scene is a bit more understandable though). The existence of Slayers is kind of a weak argument. I guess it just shows how much we too have underestimated goblins.
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:08 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
Content warnings are fair. I personally have an issue when they get so specific that they spoil stuff within the episode, but that isn't a problem with Goblin Slayer. I can't help but be amused that people went into a show called "Goblin Slayer" and expected a non-dark show (not expecting that scene is a bit more understandable though). The existence of Slayers is kind of a weak argument. I guess it just shows how much we too have underestimated goblins.

Haven't titles like 'School Days' and 'Magical Girl Madoka Magica' shown that anime titles aren't always indicative of what a show is?
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:10 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:

The promotional material for the anime made me assume it was another DanMachi (Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?) or just a fantasy similar to all the Isekai shows, tbh. Not everyone has been obsessing over this since the LNs came out, despite what the long-term fans seem to assume.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely am in love with it, and I think ANN is being too harsh in their reception of the show, but on the other side, it's absurd to be angry about ratings or content warnings.

Rating this PG is similar to back in the day when the video store clerk would put a hentai in the kids' cartoons section of the store just because it looked like that.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:13 pm Reply with quote
So here is what the warning says:

"This show contains scenes some viewers may find disturbing. Viewer discretion is advised."

I get that this was a last minute catch-all message, but would it really be so difficult to modify it to "This show contains sexual violence and scenes of intense violence. Viewer discretion is advised"? That warning is so vague as to be useless--even the MPAA does better with their rating warnings. But then they might have to go paper that over all the gorier shows. Though if I recall correctly, even Cross Ange's first episode had a content warning pop-up that showed up when you played the episode instead of just plastering a single closed caption over the video.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:14 pm Reply with quote
shakir0247 wrote:
TheOtakuX wrote:

Why?

As someone who has been watching adult swim for years where such a disclaimer appears at the top of every hour, I can confirm that it's pretty easy to pay it no mind if you're not concerned about such things.

It's not any different than the back of a blu-ray saying a show is TV-MA. It's a pretty simple way to give people at least a little heads up, especially if they don't follow things like reviews and anime news.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8