• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Removes U.K. Screening Dates of Gundam: Cucuruz Doan's Island

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:25 am Reply with quote
Okay any idea of there is something specific in this movie that would be insensitive right now or is this just more of everything grinding to a halt here in the UK so even if you want to ignore the news you can't?
Dayraven

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:37 am Reply with quote
Seems unlikely there’s anything specific — no monarchies really feature in the setting. (Well, the Zabi family is a totally-not-a-monarchy monarchy, but the Doan story isn’t much about them.)
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:45 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
Okay any idea of there is something specific in this movie that would be insensitive right now or is this just more of everything grinding to a halt here in the UK so even if you want to ignore the news you can't?

It's just an excess of caution on the part of the distributors. While broadcast TV here has pretty much gone wall-to-wall on the monarchy, Netflix and the like are unaffected and it's absolutely down to the organisers of sporting and entertainment events over whether to go ahead.

In truth, nobody really has a handle on what the public's reaction is going to be to the death of the Queen. When Diana died in the '90s, we went through two weeks of a weird national psychotic breakdown where any public activity at all that wasn't a demonstrable show of grief would bring the press down on you like a ton of bricks. When the Queen Mother died a few years later, things were more muted, but there was still a lot of criticism of newsreaders for wearing the wrong colour tie and so on. When the Duke of Edinburgh died last year, the BBC got the highest number of complaints in its history over the decison to cancel so much normal programming. The public mood is hard to predict.

The death of the Queen is obviously a major event and, even as somebody with no particular affection for the monarchy, even I've had a weird sense of dislocation. But predictions that it would turn into another Diana-style national meltdown seem to have been overblown. Organisers of events are making their own judgement calls. A lot of sports events are going ahead, though football/soccer isn't (largely, I understand, down to fears that supporters of one or two particular clubs would have chants and banners that would enrage the wider population). That cancellation's getting criticism in its own right.

I guess the distributors of this movie just decided to play it safe.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1