• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hollywood Attack on Titan Film Taps It Director Andy Muschietti

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
professorwho

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
But... why?
(Besides money)

Oh well, another live action film based on a series I'm not a fan of lessens the blow than if it were one I liked, but still, this is ridiculous. Does anybody truly like these films?
forexjammer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear, now we can compare which one is the worse adaptation haha
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Picked a pretty decent director for this, its something i guess.

However, i thought the same when they announced Adam Wingard for Death Note and... boi did it go wrong.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Didn't care for his IT movie all the much. It felt like a horror film for dummies,since it was chock full of jump scares and loud noises whenever something creepy was going to happen. Can't say am excited for his take on the property.
minidynz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Last week I heard the news that hollywood is planning for My Hero Academia live action, today's news hollywood is planning for Attack on titan live action. What's next? One Punch Man?

I can't wait for this! hopefully they did it well.
64BitRatchet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:31 pm Reply with quote
minidynz wrote:
Last week I heard the news that hollywood is planning for My Hero Academia live action, today's news hollywood is planning for Attack on titan live action. What's next? One Punch Man?

I'm honestly surprised that a live action One Punch Man hasn't been announced yet.
Azza Murphy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:37 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
minidynz wrote:

I'm honestly surprised that a live action One Punch Man hasn't been announced yet.

SYFY needs to make one punch man it's so up there alley with there stupid movies lmao
Kamijou Touma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this will turn out great. I have no love for anime live action movies. I look at my bluray for Uchuu Senkan Yamato.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I’ll believe it when people get cast.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Attack on Titan is the type of story premise that should work as a Hollywood movie and yet I am still somewhat skeptical that the studio will understand why it is popular. Than again there is a good chance that the Hollywood live action movie will turn out better than the Japanese live action movies. Also I do have some hope for the Hollywood live action movie since Andy Muschietti did a good job with It.
Shinuki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
Didn't care for his IT movie all the much. It felt like a horror film for dummies,since it was chock full of jump scares and loud noises whenever something creepy was going to happen. Can't say am excited for his take on the property.

So are you basically saying 95% horror movies are for dummies? kkkkk

His IT movie at least was leagues above the "original" that is just bad and boring.
#Jkoplo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
I can imagine that they'll cast Rinko Kikuchi as mikasa.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:07 pm Reply with quote
IT was great, sure, it didn't box in as a conventional horror film, after all, a film like that is an example of labels being arbitrary.

On Topic: I'm assuming they hired IT staff members because they want them to repeat what they did with the youth in IT; however, it's a completely different playing field which makes that decision negligible, unless, unless, they are going to try the same recipe which likely won't work in their favor.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 pm Reply with quote
The other day, I was thinking to myself, “Is that Hollywood adaptation of AoT still happening?”. Glad to know it’s been finalized. Hopefully, the people working on it have a great understanding of why the franchise is so popular and properly execute that into this movie.

professorwho wrote:
But... why?
(Besides money)

1. To introduce the franchise to mainstream moviegoers who haven’t heard of it before.
2. To experiment the franchise with the live-action medium. Sure, there’s the Japanese live-action movies, but Funimation already has the license to those. Even if they didn’t, Hollywood has very little incentive to license, distribute, and market already-made movies from another country that they can’t fully control or own when they could make one themselves.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Somehow,I'm not surprised about this in the least. I don't know if this'll work but I think that I'm optimistic that it will. At least,that's what I hope happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3