Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Seven Deadly Sins: Revival of The Commandments


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Chaos Wings



Joined: 05 May 2015
Posts: 229
Location: Your guess is as good as mine?!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:20 pm Reply with quote
The most notable thing here is, I love Nanatsu no Taizai yet had totally forgotten Season 2 was airing let alone finished. This is why I hate Netflix muscling in on the anime business. Without week to week streaming and releasing in bulk months later, shows just fall off the radar. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Greed1914
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 3064
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Chaos Wings wrote:
The most notable thing here is, I love Nanatsu no Taizai yet had totally forgotten Season 2 was airing let alone finished. This is why I hate Netflix muscling in on the anime business. Without week to week streaming and releasing in bulk months later, shows just fall off the radar. Evil or Very Mad


Yeah, it's pretty easy to forget when something is announced to be coming months later. I think the main reason I remembered to check for this season was because I have long trip coming up for Thanksgiving, and I planned to use Netflix's download option so I could watch it while traveling.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaronViolet



Joined: 27 May 2018
Posts: 38
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Estarossa was the most interesting villain in the series, before the author introduced spoiler[that stupid archangel twist! And now we are stuck we the undeveloped Clone of mela nd his Demon father, who will most likely be the final villain.]

MHA has more interesting villains, and one of them is still learning how to be an effective badguy!

[Edit]: added spoiler tags. Errinundra.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BodaciousSpacePirate
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Posts: 2429
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Meliodas's penchant for unfunny molestation


It genuinely feels as though the author is aware that a certain demographic of anime fans finds this kind of stuff funny, but doesn't understand why they find it funny or how to make it funny within his own works.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
BaronViolet



Joined: 27 May 2018
Posts: 38
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:20 pm Reply with quote
There are other ways of injecting comedy into a shonen without molesting girls. SO far, the writer has not grasped that concept yet.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nodz



Joined: 29 Dec 2013
Posts: 337
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:23 pm Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:
There are other ways of injecting comedy into a shonen without molesting girls. SO far, the writer has not grasped that concept yet.


Elizabeth doesn't seem to care or be offended about it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BodaciousSpacePirate
It's Over 9000!It's Over 9000!


Joined: 17 Apr 2015
Posts: 2429
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
Elizabeth doesn't seem to care or be offended about it.


Yeah, turns out when someone's a fictional character, the author has complete control over what they care about. I am curious, though, do you find the way it has been implemented in this story funny? Would you say that it is consistent with the way that Meliodas's relationship with Elizabeth is characterized elsewhere in the series, or does it "take you out of the story" whenever it happens? Would you say it compares favorably to the way it is done in Dragonball? These are things we could talk about without having to deal with whether it is "offensive" or not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the



Joined: 30 May 2015
Posts: 1735
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
This is a series I keep up with pretty much only because of two characters: Ban and King. This second season has good Ban content for a little while, then good King content for another little while, but there is just so much I don't care about in it. This is probably just me, but not a single fight in this feels exciting to me (which isn't just down to the animation being bad by my standards except for one case because I don't care for them in the manga either), the humor is almost always bad, the villains are uninteresting but so are the heroes except for two. The whole powerlevel thing made me roll my eyes every time (did we really need this) and while Escanor is a fine addition to any cast, he comes only in the second half (despite being teased in the first OP).

Then again, I'm not a Dragon Ball fan either so.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
BaronViolet



Joined: 27 May 2018
Posts: 38
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Escanor is one of the few characters I actually like and care about. He gets more cool moments later on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hunter-Wolf



Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:34 am Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:
There are other ways of injecting comedy into a shonen without molesting girls. SO far, the writer has not grasped that concept yet.


Actually he understands comedy pretty well and there is plenty of comedic moments that don't involve Melodas groping Elizabeth (like the fight between Mel, Ban and the two bird monsters, or literally everything related to Escanor in his both forms).

More importantly is what you and the reviewer have missed, Melodas isn't a pervert, he never touches any other female the way he touches Elizabeth (and the creator of the Manga could have easily made him just a regular pervert, but he didn't, for a good reason), it dawned on me after watching the touching scene (no pun intended) between Melodas and Elizabeth near the bonfire at the end of season 2,spoiler[ the moment he started crying and she hugged him I realized he does this groping thing not just for the comedic effect but to to lovingly tease Elizabeth because he loves her so much and is always afraid of losing her not because he is just a pervert (he obviously isn't as we established), it's mostly because of their cruel curse and also how it complicates their relationship, the fact she accepts his groping antics (and only is embarrassed because he does it public) shows that she too understands why he does it deep down in her heart despite losing all her memories, just like any two lovers who get flirty or touchy in public, except Elizabeth has magical/forced amnesia]

His groping antics used to annoy me a lot in the first season, but once I learned why he does it and noticed he only does this to Elizabeth (and she always accepts it) it changed my perspective on the whole thing 180 degrees.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 15463
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
^
You're correct about the fact that Meliodas doesn't act that way towards any other female character, but even if it is representing what you say it is, the way it's presented still matters, and it still comes across here as clumsy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Revolutionary



Joined: 27 May 2009
Posts: 575
Location: Too Far South
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Meliodas's penchant for unfunny molestation


Yeah... I found this series to be rather mediocre in the first season, with that really tipping me over to feeling negatively about the series. Even if one wants to argue she doesn't "mind" it, IIRC the very first instance of him doing it was when she was unconscious. It is a very serious matter, and I don't take kindly to it being taken this lightly. And especially when a main hero does it (like other instances of this in other series - which are also disgusting - are usually at least by some side character who is generally looked down upon for their actions. I'm not saying that it is good in those situations either - I'm looking at you, My Hero Academia - but, in SDS it's just...accepted, and that's wrong beyond belief.)

Honestly, I tried to give the second season a try, but just seeing him continuously do it disgusts me to the core and I just can't. I mean, not only is it just messed up as I pointed at above, but it also feels tacked on for no reason at all, which just... please delete it from the series. Just stop it. It adds nothing to his character. It just makes me hate him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
EricJ2



Joined: 01 Feb 2014
Posts: 3748
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
^
You're correct about the fact that Meliodas doesn't act that way towards any other female character,


And Diane is visibly disappointed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
BaronViolet



Joined: 27 May 2018
Posts: 38
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:35 am Reply with quote
I guess you didn't read Hunter's comment explaining why Mel does it. It is very uncomfortable, but at least there is a reason for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 15463
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:33 am Reply with quote
^
Lovers don't get "flirty or touchy in public" like that, except in pornos.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group