• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Chofu Theater Hosts 10-Day Gegege no Kitaro Screening Event

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Ever since I read Shigeru's manga about the history of Japan, I have been interested in getting into his work on Kitaro. Should I watch the older anime to better familiar myself with the series or watch the new series?
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Given that the series is largely episodic and that several episodes in the new series have been adapted in multiple previous anime seasons, watching the older series is unnecessary to understand or enjoy the new one. I'd say start wherever you like.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:40 pm Reply with quote
What Jeff said. Each series is completely stand-alone and therefore doesn't require any knowledge of the older series to get what's going on. I'd say start off with the 2018 series since it's currently the only one that's legally available in English.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:58 pm Reply with quote
The current series is one of my favorites this year, with episode 20 at the top of my "best episode of the year" list.

You might then take a look at Hakaba Kitarou, a 2007 noitaminA series that hewed closely to the manga. It presents Kitarou's origin story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1