• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shueisha Launches Free Global MANGA Plus Service

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mistaken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:05 pm Reply with quote
makes me wonder why they are so horribly late to the digital game, unlike webtoon. comic law, maybe?
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:17 pm Reply with quote
This is good for most people, but my phone's a piece of junk that can't use apps.

-Sigh- I guess it's time for me to invest in one, even though I hate phones with a passion.
Serinox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
This is good for most people, but my phone's a piece of junk that can't use apps.

-Sigh- I guess it's time for me to invest in one, even though I hate phones with a passion.

It's not just an app, it's also a website that you can just easily access from your PC
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/#/updates
Dian Z

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:49 pm Reply with quote
I got it installed on my phone right away after reading this, and it works pretty good thus far. I hope it lives long.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Seems like it'll just replace Viz's service since it's a superset.

Serinox wrote:

It's not just an app, it's also a website that you can just easily access from your PC
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/#/updates

I'm really glad they're offering website access but a number of titles have bad 404 links
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/#/manga_list/all
All of the "re-editions" ones and other regular editions like Terra Formars don't exist

Quote:
The service has a total of 50 titles, including 13 completed series, and more titles will be added gradually. The service publishes new chapters of currently serialized manga from Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine, Jump Square magazine, and Shonen Jump+ service at the same time they are released in Japan. While MANGA Plus is free to download and use, users can also purchase compiled book volumes for specific manga.

To Love Ru and TLR-Darkness when? Very Happy
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:18 pm Reply with quote

You hate portable mini computers with a passion? I'm sure you have your reasons but they're very useful, even more so as services like this become more common and easily accessible on phones. If you just hate the phone part I think you can get a reasonably sized tablet that has the app for download.

Last edited by HoboSoup on Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
This sounds pretty interesting and cool. Downloaded the app soon after reading this and it works well for me.

configspace wrote:
To Love Ru and TLR-Darkness when? Very Happy

This guy is asking the real questions here. Laughing (Personally, I’m still planning on buying the physical releases from Seven Seas even if they do show up on this app.)
benorsomethingiguess

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I am... confused by this. I've been using the Viz Shonen Jump service since it came out, and I'm enjoying it a lot, but I was under the impression that this was what WSJ's (and I assumed Shueisha's by extension) big, exciting project. As far as I can tell this is a nearly-identical competing product to the other service they put out/greenlit? Why would both of these be released, within two months of each other, instead of just doing Manga Plus?
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:30 pm Reply with quote
benorsomethingiguess wrote:
I am... confused by this. I've been using the Viz Shonen Jump service since it came out, and I'm enjoying it a lot, but I was under the impression that this was what WSJ's (and I assumed Shueisha's by extension) big, exciting project. As far as I can tell this is a nearly-identical competing product to the other service they put out/greenlit? Why would both of these be released, within two months of each other, instead of just doing Manga Plus?

Timing here is certainly weird for sure.

Having said that, this mostly seems to be here in order to cover the regions where Viz isn't available, but unlike Viz's SJ app, backlog chapters and entire catalog series aren't being made available so I wouldn't jump to get rid of that subscription if you care about those things.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:33 pm Reply with quote
IT WORKS WERE I LIVE! IT’S A MIRACLE!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I wish we could get a similar type of app for shoujo manga and I'd be more excited.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:34 pm Reply with quote
benorsomethingiguess wrote:

Because this new app has zero backlog whatsoever. Every series only has the first 3 chapters and the latest 3 chapters to read for free, and nothing else. Even Kenshin, a supposedly "completed" series only has the first 3 chapters available to read. Unless you're caught up on just about every SJ title, you might as well stick with Viz's.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and the addition of some titles that have never had an English release.

Hopefully, KochiKame eventually gets added to the service. Viz Media doesn’t want to touch it with a ten foot pole.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Pretty cool! It seems that compared to VIZ's app they offer every title in JUMP. Like I'm from Japan.

It just as no backlog, which is a big selling point for VIZ's app.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I wish we could get a similar type of app for shoujo manga and I'd be more excited.

That's fair, but I think you should at least be excited that this seems to be a step in a good direction for manga services. If services like this work out we'll likely see more genres, such as shoujo, get their own western services and apps.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2