• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
'Secret of Mana,' 'Final Fantasy Adventure' Trademarked in the U.S.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:57 am Reply with quote
Ooooh! Does this mean the original games might be released on the Switch or a Virtual Console at some point? I already own Secret of Mana (original) on my Wii U's Virtual Console on the Wii side, and the remake on Steam, which I love. I also bought Adventures of Mana on the PS Vita and genuinely enjoyed it. I hope something comes out of this!
Sethimothy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:23 am Reply with quote
PALM TREES AND EIGHT.

GOT IT?!
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:40 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Ooooh! Does this mean the original games might be released on the Switch or a Virtual Console at some point? I already own Secret of Mana (original) on my Wii U's Virtual Console on the Wii side, and the remake on Steam, which I love. I also bought Adventures of Mana on the PS Vita and genuinely enjoyed it. I hope something comes out of this!

I am no expert, but my understanding is that it implies some kind of new game or other product is in the works. They wouldn't need to register new trademarks to re-release extant games.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:42 am Reply with quote
Not sure on how trademarks work exactly, but they could have expired, maybe? Those are the names of existing games already, which would have been trademarked (especially with SoM just getting a PS4 release last year).

Squeenix has said in the past that they would consider releasing the Seiken Densetsu Switch collection in the US before.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
They would need to file the trademark if it goes beyond the scope of the original trademark; that is, trademarks are often very specific as to their initial intentions.

It likely doesn't point to a brand new title but could point to anything as it coming to another console or even going to mobile.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I_Drive_DSM wrote:
They would need to file the trademark if it goes beyond the scope of the original trademark; that is, trademarks are often very specific as to their initial intentions.

It likely doesn't point to a brand new title but could point to anything as it coming to another console or even going to mobile.

I'm guessing the success of SoM's remaster is going to Switch, which wasn't as established back when the PS4 SoM came out.
And that FFA's remaster, now that they're on a roll, is their other "excuse" for branching out, since it was also a vintage Nintendo title.

And the PS4 SoM isn't bad, but playing it twenty years later, I have these adult realizations of "I thought this game, and all cartridge-era JRPG's, were so complex? Shocked "
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:36 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

And the PS4 SoM isn't bad, but playing it twenty years later, I have these adult realizations of "I thought this game, and all cartridge-era JRPG's, were so complex? Shocked "

I've discussed the topic of cartridge era JRPGs with friends often and it is an interesting topic. It's hard to get a handle on though. Back then players didn't have the kind of in-depth knowledge people get online today. Maybe you had some info from Nintendo Power but there were no detailed walkthroughs or hackers studying the ROM to look for secrets the way we have for modern games. Plus, many of us remember those games from playing them as kids back then--clearly we had a different mindset then than we do playing them today. I remember making plenty of dumb mistakes playing FF 1 & 2 as a kid but I never would make playing those same mistakes today. That kind of thing probably contributed a lot to people thinking those games were hard.

But juvenile mistakes aside I think that some of the older games had a lot of hidden complexity. One of my favorites is FF4. While the plot is rather linear, it does have more optional side-areas than many modern FF games. And the depth of the combat system is quite significant as well, though I will grant that it is not obvious unless you have the benefit of modern guides (or you happen to be into math). I also think another thing that can be said about many of the early JRPGs is just how much the RNG can screw over a player. Most of the FF games weren't bad in this regard, but the first one, and the first few Dragon Quest/Dragon Warrior games were especially bad about that. You could be executing a perfect conservative strategy and yet suddenly get wiped out by an unlucky monster encounter. There was a big element of luck involved in many of those games, not so much anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1