• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sony Details Next-Generation PlayStation Console

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:44 am Reply with quote
Fells like yesterday that I was just hearing about the PS4, it's specs and what i would be able to do. I recently got the system in 2016 & have few games for it but regardless it still feels new to me like Windows 7 does.

Update:
Well regardless of what Sony does with the Ps5 I don't care anymore. If they are going to force developers hands and censor games then I'm not buying their hardware regardless of what games it may have. Sony IS NOT NINTENDO they do not have great 1st party games like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Fire Emblem etc.

I got a wii-u despite Nintendo's stance during that era because those games are still fun to play. I can only think of 3-5 games son has that worth playing. Aye.. sorry for going off on a tangent.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/sony-cracks-down-on-sexually-explicit-content-in-games-11555427944
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aca Vuksa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:49 am Reply with quote
Can't wait on what PS5 woud look like and i plan to purchase PS4 for price drop!
brammerhammer23

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I have ps4 pro and it makes me happy that the ps5 will be backwards compatible. I also like that new games will get versions on the ps4 and and ps5. I'll most likely upgrade right away, but its nice to know that I wont have to.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I feel a bad feeling that this will be a download only system, with a small ray of hope that it may have discs(the backwards compatibility could hint towards that) or cartridges. The part about the solid state drive sounds a lot like a download only system.

I do hope they make some custom chip sets, like with the PS3, that are made around gaming.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Been a long time fan of Playstation, but recently thinking of switching to Stadia once it hits my region.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Did they just re-announce the PS4 Pro, as i already have one Cool .
This sound about what i expected + ray-tracing. Which is good. Backwards computability for the PS 1 and 2 would be nice too, as it´s pretty clear that such a feature for the PS3 is a lost cause. Ah the PS3, also know as the Sega Saturn HD. None one will ever emulate you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:11 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I feel a bad feeling that this will be a download only system, with a small ray of hope that it may have discs(the backwards compatibility could hint towards that) or cartridges. The part about the solid state drive sounds a lot like a download only system.

I do hope they make some custom chip sets, like with the PS3, that are made around gaming.
Mark Cerny specified that this is not a download-only system, it will have a disc drive.

And they will never make a custom chip set like with the PS3 ever again. It not only drove the price of the PS3 up considerably, but also made it harder to develop games on for both first & third party developers. That custom chipset is also why PS4 does not have PS3 backwards compatibility, and also why the PC community is having an extremely hard time with emulation.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:19 pm Reply with quote
PS4 was the biggest disappointment to me. There was like 4 exclusives worth buying and only like 2 of those were really worth paying full price. 99% of games are multiplatform now. The worst part? PS4 barely runs ANY game at more than 30 fps 1080p. Many are downscaled to 900p or lower to hit 30fps lol. Ps4 PRo "solved" this but it also caused even more issues. Developers catered to the specs of the Pro so rather than making games run smooth on PS4, they kinda said "Screw it" and made games smooth on Pro only while base PS4, as usual, runs like crap. And even the Pro struggles to hit stable 60fps in most games - check Digital Foundry on any recent game. 4k is fake 4k and honestly doesn't look that much better than 1080p if you look at it. Ray Tracing will drastically hurt performance of what will already be an underpowered machine. People need to realize that PC is by FAR the most cost-effective way to game now. 60 FPS 1080 is easy to achieve. It's the only platform where that will be possible with Ray Tracing enabled. REAL 4k gaming is possible on PC. That won't be on PS5, not at 60 stable FPS. Ray Tracing at 4k even at 30 FPS won't be possible on PS5. Not "real" 4k. It's barely possible on PC as it is. Consoles are just a joke to me now which sucks because I really enjoyed NES up to PS3. But I'm glad PC is finally being accepted in Japan. They were the last group that needed to realize there was a lot of money to be made in the PC gaming market.

TLDR:

PS4 at launch: 30-60 FPS depending on the game, 1080p.or lower
Year later: mostly 30 FPS, lots of drops to the 20s in new games, 1080p or lower
PS4 Pro Launches: Most games struggle to hit 60fps even on Pro. Fake 4k exists in some games, runs sub-30 fps. Base PS4 runs sub 30 FPS in most games
2019: Most games struggle to hit 60 fps on Pro. Fake 4k exists in some games, runs sub-30 FPS. Base PS4 runs sub 30 FPS with massive drops in the teens in most games.

PS5 will likely be the same. You'd basically be REQUIRED to get a PS5 pro to get anywhere near 60 fps. So at the LEAST, ignore the base PS5 and wait 2 years for a Pro... Rumors are PS5 standard will cost $500. even if the pro launches at the same price, that would be $1000 in just two years. Don't do it.

OR just make a gaming PC. upfront cost is a bit higher but over time it's far cheaper. a Motherboard/CPU can easily last a decade and still be better than console's CPUs. Then you'd just need to upgrade your GPU for $200-$300 every 4-5 years. When the PS3 came you it was possible to get a GPU that was twice as song as a PS3 for the same cost as a PS3. Also does far more than a console can do - far more useful.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Backwards compatible? Nice! If it can play 4K UHD blu-rays then I'm down.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
And they will never make a custom chip set like with the PS3 ever again. It not only drove the price of the PS3 up considerably, but also made it harder to develop games on for both first & third party developers. That custom chipset is also why PS4 does not have PS3 backwards compatibility, and also why the PC community is having an extremely hard time with emulation.
It does not have to be like the PS3, I was just using that as a n example, the PS2 also had custom chips, and that is the best selling console of all time.
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:46 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Nyren wrote:
It does not have to be like the PS3, I was just using that as a n example, the PS2 also had custom chips, and that is the best selling console of all time.
The PS2 was also $299.99 at launch, unlike the PS3's $599.99. The PS5 is speculated to be $499.99 and that's with a $100 loss on each unit.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Will Sony live up to the hype they generated for the Ps9 when they advertised it back in 2000?
AntiKuro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:46 pm Reply with quote
PlayStation is always a must buy for me. Husband and I got the PS4 on release date and I plan on doing the same with the 5 (And we still have the same PS4). I generally play RPGs and it's always been the console to deliver in that genre.

I'm pretty excited for the new system.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad backwards compatibility is an option; I got my PS4 Pro (and my only PS4) only a few years ago, and I feel like I haven't got as much playtime out of it that I normally would have. It'll be nice to hold on to that while all the next-gen bugs get worked out.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

Well regardless of what Sony does with the Ps5 I don't care anymore. If they are going to force developers hands and censor games then I'm not buying their hardware regardless of what games it may have. Sony IS NOT NINTENDO they do not have great 1st party games like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Fire Emblem etc.

Yeah all those great first party titles didn't help the Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube ,or WiiU outsell their respective competition and it sure as hell didn't make the Wii any less known for being a dumping ground for shovelware.

Kougeru wrote:
People need to realize that PC is by FAR the most cost-effective way to game now.

Yeah all they need to do is make gaming PC's as cheap as consoles and make standout titles whose gimmick isn't that they look and run better on PC than console.

To say nothing of keeping disasters like Arkham Knight to a nonexistent minimum.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3