• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 'The Hero is Overpowered but Overly Cautious' Anime's Staff, October TV Premiere Listed (Updat

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 12:26 pm Reply with quote
The day a good isekai comes out, people will be fed up with the isekai because of so many mediocre and boring works without anything special like this apparent, really if tried something like a parody/comedy it could be good, but the problem is that konosuba exist, that it does much better in almost every sense, really konosuba has been a real problem so that the rest of isekai can stand out.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I understand; I feel for mushoku tensei.

It has some nice thigns to it, an antivillain mc instead of a hero, an isekai that is not really an isekai; a bigger and more complete world and plot that does not revolve about the mc; family and personal realization themes. But the amount of isekai that exist in anime form now might mean that a lot of people will skip it. Also it spending so much time on the mc's infancy and hwo that worked for knights and magic's adapttion also scare me.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Norm the genius wrote:
The day a good isekai comes out, people will be fed up with the isekai because of so many mediocre and boring works without anything special like this apparent, really if tried something like a parody/comedy it could be good, but the problem is that konosuba exist, that it does much better in almost every sense, really konosuba has been a real problem so that the rest of isekai can stand out.
It looks good to me in terms of both story and anime staff. Of course I like the isekai genre such as Re:Zero, No Game No Life, Konosuba, Overlord, Log Horizon, Saga Of Tanya The Evil, That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime, The Rising of the Shield Hero, and older isekai shows such as Inuyasha and Magic Knight Rayearth.
Richmyster84

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 4:54 pm Reply with quote
gets a vasectomy and still wears a condom. In fact, probably wears two condoms, just to be on the safe side.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 5:35 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like the writer played dark souls and went back to the bonfire everytime he had enough souls to level up, even if he went back 10 times before reaching the next bonfire, and because of that was beating all his bosses on the first attempt, removing the difficulty from the game, and just did that the whole way through.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I could see getting some laughs out of this premise if it was handled right, but I question how long it could sustain the series. That said I don't really know a lot of details, and if the characters ended up endearing it could go a long way towards making the series enjoyable.

At the very least the premise didn't immediately make me cringe, so there's that.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
go full power against weak slimes (just in case).

Well, you never know. It could be Rimuru.

That sure is an exactly-what-it-says-on-the-tin sort of title, though.

Norm the genius wrote:
The day a good isekai comes out, people will be fed up with the isekai because of so many mediocre and boring works

The thing is, "isekai" in the most basic sense of "transported from mundane reality to more interesting parallel universe" is a pretty common storytelling concept, not unique to anime by any means. Chronicles of Narnia is an isekai. Harry Potter effectively is one, though it's not literally another universe. But anime is stuck in a rut of an extremely specific type, in which a bland male protagonist gets whisked away to a dungeons-and-dragons dimension where he has extreme superpowers and all the girls want him. This one is going for a self-aware comedy angle, but it's the same basic concept, and it's not the first to try that (Konosuba, for one). Re:Zero was deconstructive but, once again, same basic concept. It's gotten so bad that we now basically use "isekai" to mean "male power fantasy anime," even though that's not the original meaning at all.

"Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average" is coming out at some point; that has a female protagonist (something older isekai like Escaflowne have done, which we've practically forgotten) and not much romance to speak of, so that's a bit different, at least. Though I kinda wonder if people will even call it an isekai.
Norm the genius

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 8:54 pm Reply with quote
@kotomikun Konosuba is parody and parodies are excluded from the genre they represent, since the intention of a parody is to make fun of their cliches a compelling fantasy story like this one has the obligation to use its premise correctly, that is to tell a story about how the character adapts or changes this world of fantasy as it would be overlord and tensura.

However everyone uses konosuba as a quality standard for an isekai, but not konosuba is a comedy standard. However I do not know if it stands out much more in comedy than Konosuba or has another aspect that makes it stand out, the current state of fantasy has become bastardized to the point that no one will see this unless it pretends to be "original" and "different" by some specific aspect as I try to do it shield hero with its supposed weak protagonist that nothing turns out well, but then it also becomes someone powerful that everything it turns out perfect.
Morry

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 1:22 am Reply with quote
Don't get your jimmies in a rub, you guys. I recall the manga receiving a very positive reception a few months back, and the first few chapters I read did make for a great absurdist comedy. How well will that translate to a full series? Who knows. We'll see in half a year.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 10:45 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
"Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average" is coming out at some point; that has a female protagonist (something older isekai like Escaflowne have done, which we've practically forgotten) and not much romance to speak of, so that's a bit different, at least. Though I kinda wonder if people will even call it an isekai.

Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average IS an isekai by the very definition, the main character originally hails from Japan.

Also, there IS plenty of isekai light novels and their manga adaptations with female leads. They just aren't that well known over here, and while those have been scarcely animated so far that's beginning to change, with both Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average and Ascendance of a Bookworm coming soon.
Overall97629661

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
kotomikun wrote:

Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average IS an isekai by the very definition, the main character originally hails from Japan.

Also, there IS plenty of isekai light novels and their manga adaptations with female leads. They just aren't that well known over here, and while those have been scarcely animated so far that's beginning to change, with both Didn't I Say to Make My Abilities Average and Ascendance of a Bookworm coming soon.

I have a feeling that there will be people saying that both stories are NOT isekai's because -"it is not a fantasy of self-insertion of a overpower guy". In reality This it's about a story of "soft" fantasy or some excuse due to the very strong stigma that is has on the isekai as repetitive and unidirectional garbage unless many reviewers can admit they were wrong.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1