• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: SPJA, Nonlinear World Present White Paper on N. American Manga Industry

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:55 am Reply with quote
1/4 is way less then I expected. I could have sword the number being at least 10% higher.
Shounen is also a demographic NOT a genre.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:10 am Reply with quote
Boruto where are you Sad BLack Clover as well, the kings of shonen genre need representation.

Surprised AssClass v1 made it there, whered that boost come from this late in the game.

Also
"Attack on Titan, with more than 70 releases"

What???? How are there so many Shingeki's? Milking at its finest.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 11:28 am Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
1/4 is way less then I expected. I could have sword the number being at least 10% higher.

I wouldn't trust any source that says shounen is a demographic. They clearly can't fact check basic information.
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

I wouldn't trust any source that says shounen is a demographic. They clearly can't fact check basic information.

We've updated the article to change the word choice from "genre" to "category," which is the term the white paper uses.
Commander Cluck

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Amethyst Alchemist wrote:
Commander Cluck wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:

We've updated the article to change the word choice from "genre" to "category," which is the term the white paper uses.

Just to clear things up, I was talking about the original paper writer and not the ANN article/staff. Apologies if you felt it was directed towards you.

residentgrigo wrote:

Upon looking at the actual report, I think that might be because they're including children's books from Scholastic in the sales, which take up all the top slots. So it's more than likely a much higher number if you don't count those and limit it to actual comic book stuff.

Though I'd still like to know where they got the 25% figure from, since as far as I know US manga publishers never release actual numbers like US comic companies do.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Boruto where are you Sad BLack Clover as well, the kings of shonen genre need representation.

Heheh “Kings of shonen” okay that’s just adorable especially calling Boruto a king. Laughing

No seriously that is the cutest thing I’ve read all day. Laughing Laughing
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Яeverse wrote:

Heheh “Kings of shonen” okay that’s just adorable especially calling Boruto a king. Laughing

No seriously that is the cutest thing I’ve read all day. Laughing Laughing

Boruto is more of a prince, actually. #SorryNotSorry
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Also
"Attack on Titan, with more than 70 releases"

What???? How are there so many Shingeki's? Milking at its finest.

Spinoffs and omnibus releases, I'd imagine.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:17 am Reply with quote
Commander Cluck wrote:

Though I'd still like to know where they got the 25% figure from, since as far as I know US manga publishers never release actual numbers like US comic companies do.

Given that "the original writer" of this report is someone who has been involved in the manga industry since at least the early 2000's, and now works as an independent consultant, I would not be surprised at all if that person has access to the BookScan sales numbers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1