• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Anime Home Video Market Drops 2.9%, Streaming Grows 13% in 2017

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:00 am Reply with quote
I hate this trend.Streaming is fine for casual watching but the quality is still like 1/3 of a blu-ray release and I don't want blu-ray release to die out. Not just because I'm a quality ho but also for collection purposes. Streaming sites remove shows all the time. The only way to ensure you can watch what you want to watch is to get your own copy and blu-ray is the best way to do that.

I'm kinda glad to see less anime made. I think we still have a major quantity over quality issue.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering does DVR exist in Japan if you don't want to watch an anime at late night(nowadays most of animes airing at late nights) Sleep is important for health.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:04 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
I'm wondering does DVR exist in Japan if you don't want to watch an anime at late night(nowadays most of animes airing at late nights) Sleep is important for health.

Yes, DVR exists and is even built into many TV sets-- you just need to plug in a hard drive. That said, most households use DVR.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I hate this trend.Streaming is fine for casual watching but the quality is still like 1/3 of a blu-ray release and I don't want blu-ray release to die out. Not just because I'm a quality ho but also for collection purposes. Streaming sites remove shows all the time. The only way to ensure you can watch what you want to watch is to get your own copy and blu-ray is the best way to do that.

Agreed completely. But I don't think the trend is going anywhere soon. The public in general always seems to prefer convenience over quality, and that applies to just about everything people buy.

We don't buy solid wood furniture that lasts anymore--we buy garbage from Ikea and Walmart and throw it out every few years. We don't sit down and really listen to music, we play compressed MP3s through crappy headphones while distracted by the goings-on around us. We buy processed foods instead of cooking from scratch--and when we do cook from scratch, we do so with factory-farmed ingredients which have traded away flavor and nutrition in exchange for durability in shipping and high yields (and those same complaints apply to most restaurants too) Our clothes are not made-to-measure; we buy a size that's close enough from a factory on the other side of the world. Our tools are rarely made to last anymore; we buy junk from Harbor Freight and when it breaks we buy another. The trend is everywhere. Most people would rather have "easy" than "good".

I hope that our desire for convenience over all else doesn't eventually kill the market for high quality physical media.
AholePony

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Additionally, the report noted that there were only 9,790 minutes of production spent on kids and family anime, compared to 14,388 minutes in 2016 and 36,337 minutes in 2010.

I think there is a typo, it appears that 36,337 number was for 2001.

It is really interesting that total minutes hasn't changed as much as I would have thought but quality has definitely gone down and we keep hearing about overwork. Maybe the industry has been seriously bleeding talent as they speculate.

That being said late-night production seems to be at record highs so maybe it's a combination of everything.

BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Don't discs break? plus doesn't the quality of a home videp release depend on certain things meaning that even blu-ray releases on certain media can be ass?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I'm surprised the physical home video market has lasted this long in Japan given how extremely high priced anime BDs are over there.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:54 pm Reply with quote
"Japan's anime industry in crisis even as its popularity soars"

https://japantoday.com/category/entertainment/japan's-anime-industry-in-crisis-even-as-its-popularity-soars
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:23 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

https://japantoday.com/category/entertainment/japan's-anime-industry-in-crisis-even-as-its-popularity-soars

That just complains about low wages, not popularity.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:28 am Reply with quote
jellybeanbandit wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

That just complains about low wages, not popularity.

Yes, as the title states, as its popularity soars. But it shows there's trouble ahead - particularly from a labor crunch leading to loss of production.
Oby

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:27 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Don't discs break? plus doesn't the quality of a home videp release depend on certain things meaning that even blu-ray releases on certain media can be ass?

Blu-ray Disc is a high-quality disc that's even more damage-resistant than DVD. In other words, BD placed within its proper package is hard to break unless you yourself want to damage/break it (or the house is on fire or flooded to oblivion).

Also, having a disc of your own is still light-years better than being dependent on streaming services that constantly drop shows/movies that you want to watch. Contrary to what many people believe, streaming services don't have everything under the sun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1