• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: MariCar Go-Kart Company Ordered to Pay 50 Million Yen to Nintendo For Intellectual Propert

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Good. Making money using someone else's stuff without permission is lazy and vile
StarfighterPegasus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:43 pm Reply with quote
This is what happens when you are too lazy to create your own stuff so you decide to leech off a well known property to find success. Nintendo has every right to protect its IP. Let this be a lesson. Don't follow someone else's path make your own.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Oof, that's no slap on the wrist.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:05 pm Reply with quote
StarfighterPegasus wrote:
This is what happens when you are too lazy to create your own stuff so you decide to leech off a well known property to find success.

Your avatar appears to be Pokemon fanart...

...I know that's not exactly the same thing, this go-kart company was apparently using Nintendo's logo, and probably making a lot of money. But I always find it a little unsettling how eagerly people will leap to the defense of a rich corporation that seems to have dealt with the problem just fine on its own (and wasn't really being harmed by it anyway). And most big businesses used shady tactics when they were starting out (and continue doing so as long as they can get away with it); it'd be nice if only the most moral and heroic companies succeeded, but that's just not how it works.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:08 pm Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:

...I know that's not exactly the same thing, this go-kart company was apparently using Nintendo's logo, and probably making a lot of money. But I always find it a little unsettling how eagerly people will leap to the defense of a rich corporation that seems to have dealt with the problem just fine on its own (and wasn't really being harmed by it anyway). And most big businesses used shady tactics when they were starting out (and continue doing so as long as they can get away with it); it'd be nice if only the most moral and heroic companies succeeded, but that's just not how it works.

I don't think that's the implication here though. The idea is if that you're using something that's protected by copyright and without the express permission of the copyright holders and worse profiting off of that, you're pretty much asking to get sued.

Even if Nintendo wasn't being harmed by what this company was doing still doesn't make what they're doing okay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1