• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st 10 Minutes of New Shin Evangelion Film to Screen at Anime Expo, Japan Expo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:41 am Reply with quote
Are we going to find out who's licensed the movie at AX if the screening is happening there? I'm expecting Funimation to get it, but the incident with 3.33 makes me believe that Studio Khara might have the license go to someone else like Eleven Arts or GKIDS, possibly with a completely different dub cast...it's wild speculation on my part but I feel like that's a very real outcome.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:57 am Reply with quote
So this is the 4th and final Eva renewal movie? Or are they doing something different?
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:58 am Reply with quote
The marketing machine is moving, it's actually happening, I'm not ready
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:59 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Are we going to find out who's licensed the movie at AX if the screening is happening there? I'm expecting Funimation to get it, but the incident with 3.33 makes me believe that Studio Khara might have the license go to someone else like Eleven Arts or GKIDS, possibly with a completely different dub cast...it's wild speculation on my part but I feel like that's a very real outcome.

I thought the reason for Funi taking so long to release Eva 3 was BECAUSE of Studio Khara.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:05 am Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

I thought the reason for Funi taking so long to release Eva 3 was BECAUSE of Studio Khara.

It was, but I feel like Khara would go "oh, these are the guys we made redo the dub, let's give the license to someone else"
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:33 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

It was, but I feel like Khara would go "oh, these are the guys we made redo the dub, let's give the license to someone else"

I don't see how that would be a problem since Netflix just did the same thing (to VERY mixed results).
chronos02

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:34 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
So this is the 4th and final Eva renewal movie? Or are they doing something different?

Renewal was done back in 2003, what we have now is the Rebuild of Evangelion movies (though "now" is a bit of a stretch, seeing how the last movie was released in 2012...).
As for "something new", only Anno and his colleagues know, but it's certain that this movie will not be what 1.0 and 2.0 were like, and probably won't be that similar to 3.0; remember how the title is already quite different from all the others? It's not "Evangelion X" but rather "Evangelion X+Y" for the romanised title, plus, the Japanese title "Shin Evangelion Gekijōban:||" is quite different from the previous three.
Anno himself has also taken a while to think about the movie, so he's tackling it with renewed strength after a long rest twice the amount between the other three movies.

I'm only hoping this isn't the last we see about Eva, but at the same time, I don't want them to milk the franchise with random things, I'd rather Anno takes another long rest before doing anything else related to the franchise, or that he passes the baton to someone he trusts.

I hope they stream the first 10 minutes and 40 seconds in some way, we usually don't get anything here in Spain and it's rather disheartening.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:35 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:

It is the fourth and final eva film of the rebuilt series, it has been a long time coming and now we are finally getting it and hopefully the whole licensing issues regarding the original series can finally be resolved as well.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:00 am Reply with quote
I have zero idea what to expect from this final installment of the Rebuild films. I HOPE it turns out spectacular but after the headache that was 3.33 I've very little invested in it.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:37 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Highly doubt it. Funimation is not going to give up on a guaranteed cash-maker like Evangelion. And what is most likely is that Funimation probably went all in on the complete Rebuild project awhile ago and signed for a deal for all 4 films. If that's the case and it likely is, It'll probably cost more money to break the arrangement. So it's bloody unlikely it'll change hands now.

Anyway, I'm hyped. Does this mean a teaser trailer will be dropping soon?

Because if they don't, they're just guaranteeing that cam-footage will be leaked everywhere. I'm guessing a trailer will follow when the footage ends.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:50 am Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Anyway, I'm hyped. Does this mean a teaser trailer will be dropping soon?

Because if they don't, they're just guaranteeing that cam-footage will be leaked everywhere. I'm guessing a trailer will follow when the footage ends.

The article does mention that Toei plans on showing the clip simultaneously worldwide. Just no details on how.
AkumaChef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:54 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
I have zero idea what to expect from this final installment of the Rebuild films. I HOPE it turns out spectacular but after the headache that was 3.33 I've very little invested in it.

I couldn't agree more.
I loved the original. The rebuild series had me very excited at first, but I became more and more disappointed with each release. I'm not even sure if I care about the rebuild series anymore. I have low expectations for this one, but I'm hoping I will be proven wrong.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:47 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to get excited about the next Rebuild movie after the debacle that was the third one, but maybe it'll blow away all expectations. Let's hope Anno is refreshed and actually had some ideas this time around. Preferably good ones, but after 3.33, I'd settle for any ideas at all, because there weren't any in that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Nothing against the FUNi cast but that actually sounds good to me.

GKids has the connections to the Oscars that Japan would want, it worked out well for Mirai (although it didn't win, they did what FUNi failed to do with the other Hosoda films) and probably will work out for the new Shinkai movie they have. Eleven Arts is a mixed bag to me since they don't screen at AMC theaters, their handling of Maquia on video was dumb but they did okay with A Silent Voice but with that said, their current deals with Shout and Right Stuf could lead to a decent Limited Edition from the latter.

As for FUNi, Khara is probably done with them at this point. If not because of the 3.33 situation then because of Gen Fukunaga's comments about Netflix plus even if FUNi was to get it, how are we sure that Khara won't order them to use the voice cast that they selected for the new dub of the show?
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
ZeetherKID77 wrote:

Funnily enough, an unverified but plausible-sounding reason for the delay has been doing the rounds on twitter today.

https://twitter.com/fooly_cooly/status/1142730726607114240

TLDR: Either Funimation wasn't respectful to the material, Khara executives didn't understand that US cons are predominantly teenage nerd party weekends and made poor assumptions based on limited data, or fans simply ruin everything. Pick your interpretation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2