• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hensuki (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:36 am Reply with quote

Hensuki (TV)

Genres: Harem, Comedy, Romance, Ecchi, School

Plot Summary:
Quote:
A high school student whose year of not having a girlfriend is his age, Keiki Kiryuu, suddenly received a love letter. He is happy he can finally have a girlfriend, but is also surprised because not only there is no sender name but also includes a white underwear…??? The cute girls who gather around him are all weird and with reasons!? Who is the Cinderella who sent the underwear? The mystery called out mystery, even hentai was called out. A new feeling of love comedy that calls out hentei begins……!!
(MAL news)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 or "the episode that has actual substance."

The most amazing thing about this series is that the harem lead is fully crushing on a girl over other girls for understandable reasons and it's honestly painful to watch as that girl is in love with another guy for all the wrong reasons and in all the wrong ways. But then this show goes the further step for having Koharu call out second fiddle... and lolicon... Shoma for acting like a rom com lead while the actual rom com lead watches on in approval.

It was a great episode and it's so weird that a series went from "average" to "barely average" to genuine greatness. It helped that the lead character mentally and physically excluded the more cartoonish characters to cover a story about incompatibility contrasted alongside a genuine two way friendship that includes acceptance from both parties.

It's so obvious that the girl he wanted to go on a date with was Koharu that he came up for reasons not to ask any girl except the one who's the same age as Koharu but physically the exact opposite. A girl who Keiki humiliates in front of Koharu, making fun of her physical attributes by writing on her face "I have big boobs." Trying to score rebound points even before the inevitable rejection? Not smooth but pretty crafty.

I was hoping for Koharu and Keiki from their earlier episode but this is approaching Toradora territory... and it's been too long since we've had something like that. It'll probably snap back faster than I can say "status quo" but for this episode, I can say it was something and that was nothing I ever expected going into this show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:38 am Reply with quote
The fool, a loli has nothing to do with their actual age, and the "older than you" loli are always the best. Stalking thing, though, is probably still a problem.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:55 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
The fool, a loli has nothing to do with their actual age, and the "older than you" loli are always the best. Stalking thing, though, is probably still a problem.

By "law", Shoma has to call Kohaku Sempai which is a turn off for the guy. It's weird but for this show, it's also normal.

Shoma and Kohaku are the beta/test couple to the basic question of "Are you willing to fall in love with a pervert, as long as she’s a cutie?" and they end up as a failure, an odd turn for a rom com. We the audience are siding with Keiki as that he thinks Shoma should be able to look past most of Kohaku's faults as long as he doesn't learn about her stalking tendencies immediately.... if ever? I mean, Shoma has his own perverted side so it's weird than he suddenly fails to see his faults over hers. But I think Shoma was looking for a reason to say "no" as soon as he learned Kohaku was older than he is so that bllndness was intentional.

But what can Keiki take from their mistakes? Will he continue to look for his ideal... which seems to change depending on which girl he wants to impress? Or can he learn to accept faults provided there are genuine emotions alongside them?

Maybe I'm being too impressed by what should be a nothing series but with the special ending, I think the creators were working their way to this point and, perhaps, something could change moving forward.

Still, I think Keiki and Kohaku just work as a couple either as lovers or just really good friends. I was expecting Keiki to punch Shoma in the park; A lame excuse like being a year older rather than a year younger as an answer for earnest feelings? And she lied because she had to lie, she was following you around so she knew....
LegalLoliLover1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:53 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I fully agree with your first statement, and I partially agree with the second. Stalking is ultimately a form of devotion, like this parody of Castlevania's Belmont praying to God so much that God himself suggests that he consider atheism: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZIePBZ7lzk
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

So that is over, and not as depraved as you might think of an ecchi harem comedy that has a lot of perversion. The identity of the mysterious Cinderella is revealed to have been his sister, Mizuha, who he seems to have forgotten is not his biological sister but a girl that was orphaned and adopted, Mizuha loving him because she was aware of him being so nice to make sure she never felt alone. It is then a worthy note that Kiryuu seems to have rejected the feelings because it is just too weird for him to see his sister that way. It kind of feels like there should be something noteworthy about this show, kind of playing against the idea of just being into a girl because she is cute, and playing up a perversion as just a bonus.

The series had a masochist who wants to be treated like a pet, a sadist who wants to do the opposite, a BL fetishist, a smell fetishist, and a brocon revealed in the end to also be an exhibitionist. Plus the separate couple that was made up of a lolicon and a voyeuristic stalker. Kind of odd that these perversions be like deal breakers for the male lead, since they would seem easy sell for a perverted property, and kind of feels like the series is a bit of a possible introduction into these different things. Looking at the story, the best fits of true girl feels like the masochist Senpai, Sayuki, with her feeling like the one most on his mind and, and maybe could even work with, the beginning of the episode even having a fake out after story of them. Or the tsundere Mao, who kind of looked like she played up her BL fetish out of fear of rejection. So whether he could get on board with Sayuki's kink being just a part of her that he can have fun with, or Mao stop being tsundere and maybe him not take the BL too seriously.

The show was not the best ecchi anime that I have seen, but not really among the worst. Maybe not even exciting enough at times, but makes up for it at others. I do strangely like the ED, it somehow feeling kind of catchy, kind of surprised when I started to really pay attention to the lyrics not being as wholesome as you might think. I liked the show, it looked cute and fun, was animated without the problems I have seen in lesser ecchi productions of late, acted well enough, and got a fair share of some perviness. I give a rating of Decent (6/10), I didn't lose my time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1