• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll, Adult Swim Join WarnerMedia's New HBO Max Streaming Service

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick4x

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:48 am Reply with quote
I'm interested to see how this plays out, though I feel Crunchyroll subscribers likely won't notice any substantial changes. Likely, it'll just be something extra that people get for subscribing to HBO Max.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:52 am Reply with quote
Huh, that's actually a lot of stuff.
Crowjack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:04 am Reply with quote
A few things Im curious about. How much is this gonna cost? What about VRV? Some of what HBO Max listed is on VRV. Will VRV service get cancelled? If so what does that mean for Sentai/Hidive. The VRV app channel for hidive is awfullon the Ps4 because the subs are displayed too far up on the screen. On my 60 inch tv the subs have atleast a 2-3 inch gab between the bottom of subs a bottom of the tv screen. If theres alot of dialog the subs starts at mid of screen. There is no way to adjust it. Only hidive has this problem. Been waiting for a standaloe hidive app for ps4. Asked hidive when it might be ready since it was mentioned ages ago. Was told that they had never made any public forward facing statements about a ps4 app. Sent them a link to their own website where they are explaining about all th devices VRV/Hidive is on where it mentions ps4 by name and it then says that a standalone app for Hidive will be coming soon for them. Funny i didn't get a response back afrer pointing that out. Iwonder if Sony buying Funimation has made it harder to get a standalone Hidive app on Ps4. And now with this Iwonder if Vrv or even Crunchyroll apps might get pulled and then folded into this Hbo Max thing. This could potentially not be so great. Sorry for the rambling wall of text it is 3 am here.
Erufailon4

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:30 am Reply with quote
I hope this isn't gonna replace Crunchyroll entirely. Having access to CR's free, ad-supported version is a big thing for many anime fans around the world (myself included)
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:55 am Reply with quote
Crowjack wrote:
A few things Im curious about. How much is this gonna cost?

No successful streaming services come to mind that start at more than $15 per month. (HBO Now itself is at the high end, at $14.99/month). Netflix is more expensive for their 4K plan, at $15.99 per month, but their most popular plan is still the HD plan at $12.99 per month ($1 more than Hulu's commercial free plan).
AtoMan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:01 am Reply with quote
How about a crucial information on whether this applies to US market only or will it replace HBO GO globally?
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:15 am Reply with quote
Another one? Good grief, how many streaming services do we need?
Ataru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:52 am Reply with quote
It'll be great if they keep the whole service at $9.99 like it is now. I doubt it'll happen when they throw in something like HBO but it'll be nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:56 am Reply with quote
Yeah, VRV is probably done for, in name. AT&T is their parent owner and AT&T are completely redoing their streaming services to feature the Warner material they already own. Everything in VRV will probably go to Warner Media. But it would be silly not to offer a budget "VRV-type package" that excludes HBO content.
They're also seemingly killing DirectTVNow as part of the restructure. I joined DTVNow on week one so I'm grandfathered on their best package and prices but eventually they'll figure out a reason to stop honoring that deal.

It's also presumed that they'll be killing DC Universe or at least taking the video out of the service.

The top brass have basically said "old subscribers don't matter," They want new younger subscribers that are more likely to keep buying content past the "one" service old subscribers stick with.
...it's a weird strategy- ditching loyal customers to gamble on fickle new ones.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:59 am Reply with quote
The big question is whether HBO Max will cause any changes to Crunchyroll in either availability or cost. I would like to be optimistic but after what happened with Anime Strike it is possible that changes will be made to push customers towards HBO Max.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:13 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Until all the ideas for streaming services completely run dry, the media industry will keep dishing out more.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:39 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

This one is AT&T consolidating all the time warner started ones into one.

So Rooster Teeth, DC Universe and Crunchyroll's paid tier should all eventually disappear into HBO Max.

Basically if it is a film or TV show owned by Time Warner or licenced in the case of anime then it will become part of HBO Max.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Basically if it is a film or TV show owned by Time Warner or licenced in the case of anime then it will become part of HBO Max.

And then they'll charge me 2-3 times what I'm paying now for CR so that they can offer me a bunch of crap that I don't want and don't care about. In other words, it'll be my cable company all over again.
Ushio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:16 pm Reply with quote
WingKing wrote:
Ushio wrote:

And then they'll charge me 2-3 times what I'm paying now for CR so that they can offer me a bunch of crap that I don't want and don't care about. In other words, it'll be my cable company all over again.

People screamed they wanted the Netflix model and you can't just get a netflix anime only version.
Toonces

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Erufailon4 wrote:
I hope this isn't gonna replace Crunchyroll entirely. Having access to CR's free, ad-supported version is a big thing for many anime fans around the world (myself included)

I wouldn't worry about crunchyroll, but VRV is probably dead. There's going to be too much overlap between the services for these to be separate.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2