• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dances with the Dragons Blu-ray

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:30 am Reply with quote
Ok, I'm legitimately surprised to find out that this was based on something that long-running. I watched it all the way through, but I didn't ever get the impression that it was interesting enough for sustained publication.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:25 pm Reply with quote
According to this report by ANN's correspondent Kim Morrisy, the source LNs command a significant fanbase among Japanese light novel readers, one of the top selling titles of publisher Gagaga Bunko.
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-feature/2018/04/03/dances-with-the-dragons-is-so-dark-its-fans-cant-believe-it-got-an-anime

And it is dark and bleak, to the point its fans never thought it would get animated.

Quote:
The setting and aesthetic are consistently dark and bleak, with ruined towns and debris a common sight. It’s the kind of story you’re more likely to encounter in a manga than a light novel....like the Berserk of light novels. The series is famous for its sex and gore, to the extent that many fans were genuinely surprised when it got an anime adaptation. The themes of the story are heavy, too, often focusing on the cruelty and unfairness of the world. The series stood out enough to win the Sneaker Grand Prize, but it’s not for everybody.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1