• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Takin' the Piss

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Can't really say all that much from Gamescom interests me. Anyway:

-Death Stranding: Uh, Kojima, why do you think putting in Geoff Keighley's likeness is a positive?

-Yakuza: Ah, finally getting a physical version of 5. Good times. And apparently Sega are putting a localization for Ishin into consideration.

-Sakura Wars: Good to see Sumire hasn't lost her smugness; you can tell she's getting a kick out of putting Kamiyama into that goofy costume. Also like the new Combat Revues and wondering if they're going to have new ones from Paris and NYC.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:12 pm Reply with quote
The more I see if Death Stranding,the more I'm convinced it's going to be the 'Zardoz' of video games. Even if it's a mess, it's sure going to be interested.

I would love that new Yakuza collection,but it sold out on Amazon within mins of being announced Sad
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:35 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
Can't really say all that much from Gamescom interests me. Anyway:

-Death Stranding: Uh, Kojima, why do you think putting in Geoff Keighley's likeness is a positive?

Who said he thinks it's a positive he could've just wanted to put him in there cause he wanted to.
Xavon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Shang Tsung is now the movie Shang Tsung.

Might have to buy MK11 for just that reason.

Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa wins. Flawless Victory!
Souther

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately, the leaks for MK11’s DLC roster killed the surprise. Despite that, looking forward to Terminator and Sindel. There’s also one other character that was leaked, and I’ve been dying to see them in a fighting game for the longest time! I know NRS would do them justice as well.

And yeah, love the fact that they got Tagawa to reprise his role after all these years. Would be cool if they got the other actors and actresses to reprise their roles as alternate skins too.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Kojima is uncensored and free from editors. This will be the video game equivalent of Waking Life.
Amibite

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Kojima is uncensored and free from editors. This will be the video game equivalent of Waking Life.

Wasnt that the reason MGSV was so much worse than the previous ones?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:

We shall see; an artist getting full carte blanche to do what they want has always been a gamble. Heck, a lot of the time it turns out the reason their work was any good was because someone was shooting down their dumber ideas.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Undoubtedly. It may not be a great or even a good game but it will be an utterly fascinating one.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Undoubtedly. It may not be a great or even a good game but it will be an utterly fascinating one.

Not necessarily; a lot of bungled works auteurs have made have also turned out boring.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:48 pm Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:

My guess is that it was probably done to show some appreciation to Keighley. He didn't certainly didn't hide it from anybody that Konami forbade Kojima from going to the VGAs years ago.

That said, it still does seem a little odd, especially since it's a game with performance capture of the actors, but then Keighley's character is actually voiced by Matthew Mercer. Although, I think that does make it more likely that it was a gesture of thanks since I don't think Kojima would put him in the game purely as a sales gimmick after deciding that he needed someone else to do the acting for him.

Personally speaking, I've been taking a wait-and-see approach with Death Stranding. For quite some time, MGS was my favorite game series, but Kojima made some choices with some of the later games that I didn't care for, so it's not a guarantee I'll enjoy it. On the other hand, I am encouraged by the fact that there is a character named Die Hardman, so at least some of that odd sense of humor is in there.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:45 am Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:

Wasnt that the reason MGSV was so much worse than the previous ones?

Don't think that it was. Especially since some of the issues such as the game being unfinished were do in no short part to Konami stepping in sorta last minute.
Amibite

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:36 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Don't think that it was. Especially since some of the issues such as the game being unfinished were do in no short part to Konami stepping in sorta last minute.

I don't think it being rushed or unfinished had to do with it being open world and essentially very different from the previous games. Kojima's been flirting with western developers and games for awhile now, it seems like he fully embraced the open world shooter come MGSV time. It's probably for the best he does his own original games now and isn't using MGS to experiment.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Themaster20000 wrote:
I would love that new Yakuza collection,but it sold out on Amazon within mins of being announced Sad

That might have just been a place holder before it was actually up as I'm seeing it still available as of this post.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Amibite wrote:
I don't think it being rushed or unfinished had to do with it being open world and essentially very different from the previous games.

The open world aspect wasn't really an issue with the game and I'd find it highly curious for anyone to take issue with that given the way Peacewalker's mission structure was designed which V took parts of and expanded upon.

Amibite wrote:

Kojima's been flirting with western developers and games for awhile now,

MG and Snatcher were essentially inspired by western works to begin with. You think Kojima's love of western media and themes started 6 years ago?

Amibite wrote:

it seems like he fully embraced the open world shooter come MGSV time. It's probably for the best he does his own original games now and isn't using MGS to experiment.

Given he's the original creator of the IP (which within itself was an experiment that influenced a number of works and individuals) and since he left Konami it's last game was a Survival Horror style game this is a pretty moot point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1