• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magia Record: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Side Story Anime's 1st Promo Reveals January Delay, Mo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:02 am Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, is this going to be the first TV series SHAFT has animated in a year? I don't recall them doing anything in 2019.
nyr

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:15 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Out of curiosity, is this going to be the first TV series SHAFT has animated in a year? I don't recall them doing anything in 2019.

There was a TV airing for the movie Zoku Owarimonogatari as a six episode TV-Series. Otherwise there were no new productions this year made by SHAFT.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:19 am Reply with quote
I am hugely scared for this production, but also excited. With Madoka being my favorite anime, I feel like any anime needs to be treated with particular care. SHAFT does an amazing job on select properties and my hope is that they, as a whole, still have that magic Madoka Magica touch, but I've seen other adaptions they've done that have been beyond horrible, too. I never finished the Magia Record story before I changed phones and lost the transfer code with all my account's data, but I got through about 60% of it and it wasn't exactly impressive beyond just a fun romp with lots of over-the-top twists and turns that kinda feel more like the manga spin-offs than anything with deep contemplation like the anime or its film sequel.

That said, I'm not about to say that the new series, if it were bad, would ruin my enjoyment of the original or anything, or that I'm some kind of purist. A bad show will just live on as a bad show. And the trailer itself actually doesn't signal any red flags for me yet. So I'm mostly just venting fears.

Anyway, I really wonder what this new character is going to add to the story. My hope is that she ends up being used less to entice game fans to watch the anime for new content and more to flesh out the story in the new format, or maybe even to give it a more coherent thematic direction. And as much as I love multi-media franchises, I do hope the anime isn't like the Fate/Extra SHAFT anime and require knowing the game to get everything about the core story. It's one thing to have hidden details that are nice to know and talk about as a fan (deep speculation, fan nods, etc.), and another to require knowing the original to understand the adaption's key narrative.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:11 am Reply with quote
"waits for Alina Gray hype"
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:42 am Reply with quote
I hope this isn’t going to be a bad sign for this. This already feels like an unnecessary cash grab as it is.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:47 am Reply with quote
If all they do is adapt the games main campaign and various characters side stories, this is gonna be good.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:27 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I hope this isn’t going to be a bad sign for this. This already feels like an unnecessary cash grab as it is.

It's really obvious that this is an attempt to revive the dying Madoka franchise. That franchise stopped being relevant years ago. Maybe Aniplex is hoping that it will have a sudden resurgence just like the Fate franchise in mid 2010's.

darkchibi07 wrote:

Because SHAFT is already a dying studio. They've been bleeding talent, and fwih some of their staff went to David Production, which is currently doing Fire Force.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:55 am Reply with quote
Looks like this adaptation is going to be different from the one in the game or at least will start differently than where the game drops you in the 1st chapter. That's probably a good directional choice since the game story, while interesting, doesn't really have that SHAFT dramatic flair

And I'm curious about the new girl Kuroe since she's not in the game at all (yet)

I've been playing the JP release of the game since it came out and I hope new fans will come to love these new magical girls just as much as I did.

As a side note I think it's kinda funny they changed Yachiyo's head dress design to be more blocky & easier to animate vs. the bead strands she has in the game art.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
I am hugely scared for this production, but also excited. With Madoka being my favorite anime, I feel like any anime needs to be treated with particular care. SHAFT does an amazing job on select properties and my hope is that they, as a whole, still have that magic Madoka Magica touch, but I've seen other adaptions they've done that have been beyond horrible, too. I never finished the Magia Record story before I changed phones and lost the transfer code with all my account's data, but I got through about 60% of it and it wasn't exactly impressive beyond just a fun romp with lots of over-the-top twists and turns that kinda feel more like the manga spin-offs than anything with deep contemplation like the anime or its film sequel.

Madoka works as a self contained piece. It is not a "world building" show like Nanoha, which works because it has that cool technomagic sci-fi world. Madoka works as a self conscious deconstruction of mahou shoujo tropes combined with its message which is expressed in its original 12 episodes, it is a self contained work of art.

Anything else made with its name will just feel like a cash grab. I did not care about the movie nor the spin off mangas derived from the show. Because the show was not about its "world building". That is, Madoka is not really "franchise" material.

It is like making sequels of Haibane Renmei, Serial Experiments Lain, and Higurashi. What is the point?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:

It's really obvious that this is an attempt to revive the dying Madoka franchise. That franchise stopped being relevant years ago. Maybe Aniplex is hoping that it will have a sudden resurgence just like the Fate franchise in mid 2010's.
Rebellion got a mixed to negative reception, and the manga spin offs never really caught on, and they've slowed on making so much Madoka merch constantly, but the original is still well regarded and Madoka along with Psycho Pass pretty much made Gen Urobuchi a household name with anime fans. So while I have my doubts about this sequel, I wouldn't say Madoka is no longer relevant. I think the original still holds up better than any of it's copy cats and there does seem to be some interest in the mobile game.
UltimateEye

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Has anyone else noticed that Kuroe is now the fifth Magia Record character to wear a costume that shows off her belly? I'm not complaining at all, but it's an aesthetic that wasn't really there in the original Madoka Magica. Given the hardcore symbolism of the source material, I don't doubt there's some method to all this midriff, and not merely for fanservice's sake.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:20 pm Reply with quote
This is gonna be amazing.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
It is like making sequels of Haibane Renmei, Serial Experiments Lain, and Higurashi. What is the point?

The point is possibly that Madoka actually had very interesting, very exciting world building that allowed for some really fun content, what's with magical girls lacking any central governance that they do in most other stories and the cuddly mascot character actively wanting them to perish in the most miserable context possible so that others can take their place in a horrible Lovecraftian circle of life, and it really was kind of a shame that all of it was dumpstered in favor of a bargain bin anime version of Milton's Paradise Lost.

Having been playing Magia Record for a month now, it's already done more with the setting in some six chapters and two events than Urobuchi has done in 13 episodes and two movies of runtime.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Don't mind a anime of a side story of Madoka Magica, but I'd still rather a conclusion to Rebellion.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:00 am Reply with quote
I’m fine with the delay. Gives Shaft more time to polish the production hopefully and not have it be rushed. Plus, Fall was already looking to fill a lot of my schedule, so waiting one more season to view this does not bother me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2