• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aniplex USA Details Home Video Releases for The Promised Neverland, Sword Art Online Alicization Ani

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:19 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed The Promised Neverland but $130 is too much for only 12 episodes and it's not that high a priority for me to own it. I'll just buy the manga and stick to the streams for the anime and hope that Aniplex will add the dub to Netflix sometime soon.
ShadowZim777

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I enjoyed The Promised Neverland but $130 is too much for only 12 episodes and it's not that high a priority for me to own it. I'll just buy the manga and stick to the streams for the anime and hope that Aniplex will add the dub to Netflix sometime soon.

Sword Art’s pricing is even worse at $250 dollars. Yikes.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Well now that Toonami doesn’t even have pages for Neverland or SAO anymore on the Adult Swim website, hopefully that means their exclusive rights to the dub have expired and they can stream elsewhere.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Seriously how has this distributor not up and ****ing died already.

C'mon Sony. Shut down this farce. Let FUNi handle all of your animation subsidiary's domestic releases. Because unlike AoA, they actually give a damn about how people on this continent purchase home media.

$130. For 12 episodes. And a "deluxe booklet." Get ****ing bent.
Siegfriedl88

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:10 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

QFT...now i know its gonna be 500 bucks for the whole SAO Alicization arc >.<, i knew it was gonna cost me but damn.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:31 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Because enough people buy their releases. After surviving for one decade they are not going away. Like it or not, their business model works. I also prefer lower prices, but as a collector I have learned to live with it.
HoboSoup

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:45 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Because enough people buy their releases. After surviving for one decade they are not going away. Like it or not, their business model works. I also prefer lower prices, but as a collector I have learned to live with it.

As a broke person who would like to own various Aniplex anime, they can bite me.
brynhild

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:31 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

C'mon Sony. Shut down this farce. Let FUNi handle all of your animation subsidiary's domestic releases. Because unlike AoA, they actually give a damn about how people on this continent purchase home media.

I've never seen a bigger joke in my life.

Funi has by far the worst quality control for released products i've ever seen from a company.
matt78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:13 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

If you have an all region blu ray player you could always order the British releases. You can sometime find someone selling them on Amazon for a decent price. I imported the British releases for Gurren Lagann, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Kill la Kill, and Durarara and even factoring in the price of the region free player ended up saving a few hundred dollars.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:53 am Reply with quote
I could never afford an Aniplex release. But the real thing that upsets me with them is that they let the license for their series rot that have had the license expire and has been released by Funimation, Sentai Filmworks, ADV Films, Bandai Entertainment, etc. Doing this only encourages scalpers and have them sell their copies like 3 times more than what they paid for making those releases go from normal priced to ridiculously priced.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:37 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Honestly, this is the problem. If collectors were willing to forgo Aniplex releases completely as a push to get them to price in line with the rest of the market, we wouldn't still be talking about this a decade later. But since enough collectors are willing to drop what they would on a utility bill for their releases, they will never go away.

Not a popular opinion, but Aniplex releases on the only releases I ever consider obtaining through other means. These days, I always make an effort to obtain and watch my anime through legal routes, but don't gouge my wallet.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:45 pm Reply with quote
I’m not sure it’s a sign of growth for the industry if Aniplex is never able to expand their reach beyond the hardcore collectors.
matt78

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:07 pm Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
Honestly, this is the problem. If collectors were willing to forgo Aniplex releases completely as a push to get them to price in line with the rest of the market, we wouldn't still be talking about this a decade later. But since enough collectors are willing to drop what they would on a utility bill for their releases, they will never go away.

Not a popular opinion, but Aniplex releases on the only releases I ever consider obtaining through other means. These days, I always make an effort to obtain and watch my anime through legal routes, but don't gouge my wallet.

Aniplex of America has a place in North America. If I ran Sony I would set them up to be their premium brand in NA. I think Sony should combine their catalogues with Funimation being responsible for releasing their standard and collectors editions with AOA focusing on releasing premium releases for only the most popular titles in the combined catalogue. I think this would be a win-win situation for all involved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1