• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer Is Shueisha's 2nd Highest-Selling Manga After One Piece in 2019

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Note that Oricon's numbers, when they come out later this week, may differ. There's a good chance Demon Slayer will be #1 on their chart.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:01 am Reply with quote
Yet people still act like it’s only casual American newbies who like Demon Slayer when even in Japan the manga is selling well.
wewhomustnotbenamed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:48 am Reply with quote
it doesn't made sense. they announced 16 million few weeks ago when they have 3 million before anime started. that alone has 13 million number. unless they overprinting KnY a lot which doesn't made sense with understock rumor everywhere.

i prefer to wait oricon number in few days.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:06 am Reply with quote
wewhomustnotbenamed wrote:
it doesn't made sense. they announced 16 million few weeks ago when they have 3 million before anime started. that alone has 13 million number. unless they overprinting KnY a lot which doesn't made sense with understock rumor everywhere.

Oricon's measurements have limits, too. I'm not sure they track digital sales, for starters.
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:08 am Reply with quote
you know you're doing well when the only series that's beating you is One Piece, good job Demon Slayer
wewhomustnotbenamed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:11 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Oricon's measurements have limits, too. I'm not sure they track digital sales, for starters.
those are shueisha numbers. Also to not track digital sales apply to everyone.
Araki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:16 am Reply with quote
If this Shueisha's, can't get any more official. Sorrry, Yaiba fanboys, but the dream was nice while it lasted.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:38 am Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
If this Shueisha's, can't get any more official. Sorrry, Yaiba fanboys, but the dream was nice while it lasted.

I mean, it's not like being the second best selling manga after One Piece, the greatest seller in manga history, is impressive on it's own, right? Number one or bust.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:47 am Reply with quote
Araki wrote:

A cynical troll I presume?
Serinox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:12 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

Yes, but even so. Oricon charts have KnY at over 12 million copies, physical sales. I wonder how Shueisha's numbers have KnY at only 10,8 million copies for both physical and digital sales combined.

People are quick to bring up digital sales, but that's not the point. The point is how Shueisha has numbers of both combined that are 2 million copies lower than the physical copies chart. And sure, Oricon is not 100% accurate because even their physical copies ranking have limits, but 2 million copies too much? How?
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:58 am Reply with quote
Oricon was wrong. Shueisha had not updated their sales yet and it had seemed One Piece had sold less than it did.

One Piece AND Demon Slayer are both Shueisha properties there is no reason for them to lie about the data and their own sales data should be the most accurate.

Note there are already Japanese articles posted about One Piece being No 1 again. So it seems to be the case. If anything the Oricon sales information was premature
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:17 pm Reply with quote

I think with the incredible sales for Demon Slayer this year that attempts by websites to estimate the current numbers has led to some exaggerated results. Shueisha though has a lot more information to work with so it should be the most accurate estimate made so far. That Demon Slayer is selling second to One Piece for 2019 is an outstanding achievement.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Yet people still act like it’s only casual American newbies who like Demon Slayer when even in Japan the manga is selling well.

Do people actually think that? I know My Hero gets that rep, but I didn't see Demon Slayer getting that.
Nodz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:18 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

Do people actually think that? I know My Hero gets that rep, but I didn't see Demon Slayer getting that.

Only Americans seem to think that way Rolling Eyes
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:41 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:

There was this whole discourse awhile back on Twitter where Fate fans were complaining that casual Demon Slayer fans were going to ruin the fandom if they started watching other Ufotable shows even though it's clear from the data lots of hardcore anime fans like Demon Slayer too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2