• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Build Your Own 60cm Macross Valkyrie with Lights, Sounds

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hikura

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:10 pm Reply with quote
I would love to get this.But i live here in United States.That is a bummer.If it get's resold on a secondary site it's going to cost an arm and a leg.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:29 pm Reply with quote
hikura wrote:
I would love to get this.But i live here in United States.That is a bummer.If it get's resold on a secondary site it's going to cost an arm and a leg.

To be frank, it’s already costing an arm and a leg even if you subscribed in Japan, 100 issues... those are costly
chronium

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:35 pm Reply with quote
While models are fun I wish it was easier to get statues of vehicles since I'm not artistic enough to get models to a quality I want.
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:42 am Reply with quote
60 CM long, not tall, it doesn't have a robot mode. Way too costly for not being able to change even if it does have lights. Thought it might be a fun thing to build, but no robot or even gerwalk mode is a deal breaker.

There's plenty of proxy shipping services out there that will gladly give you a personal Japanese address to ship to (I use Tenso) and ship stuff to you monthly and most credit cards don't charge exchange fees so it isn't impossible to get outside Japan if someone really wanted it.

Shame it's a subscription, if it had been sold at retail it would be possible to get it at a discount from an exporter and without tax since Japan doesn't charge tax on exports.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:23 am Reply with quote
Am I understanding this correctly? You get one parts kit a week so it will take you nearly 2 years to collect all the parts to assemble it? Shocked
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Am I understanding this correctly? You get one parts kit a week so it will take you nearly 2 years to collect all the parts to assemble it? Shocked

It's not that new of an idea: around the time Star Wars: The Force Awakens was released, some Italian model kit company started offering subscriptions to the 100 issue "Build the Millennium Falcon Weekly Magazine". It presumably sold well, because since then they've also put out a 100 issue R2-D2 and a 100+ issue Back to the Future DeLorean.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

They been selling subscriptions to model kit/magazines with parts for a few years now.
The Star Wars models (R2-D2 and The Empire Strikes Back replica of the 32-inch MIllennium Falcon model) are the most famous piece-by-mail models.

You really don't have to do extra because technically the models are painted up but a lot of people like to customize their models or attempt to make them more "screen-accurate."

You can eventually get the whole kit at once for a reduced price (when it's available that way) but most people got it piece by piece.
Quite a few people didn't finished their Falcons and sold them at a loss later!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1