• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! Episode 1 Director Discusses Making of the Episode

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:58 pm Reply with quote
No wonder, I believe I am not the only one who has thought Midori (the girl in the middle) is a boy in the beginning, it took me 10 mins to realize she is actually an unbelievably likable tomboy Embarassed Embarassed
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for this insightful article. The show is a joy to watch and it’s obvious how much love and passion went into the first episode. I hope they can keep the momentum!
Mocha Shiori

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:01 pm Reply with quote
The first episode was great, I look forward to more
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I am much more interested in finding out if the main character is on the autism specturm or not.

Thank you so much for giving us this article ANN, I really love seeing content like this. It would be great to see more content on the animators and other people involved in anime production.

I do love the show so far and I can't wait to see more of it.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
No wonder, I believe I am not the only one who has thought Midori (the girl in the middle) is a boy in the beginning, it took me 10 mins to realize she is actually an unbelievably likable tomboy Embarassed Embarassed

Same. I only noticed halfway through the episode when i noticed she was wearing the girls uniform and not the boys uniform.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Horsefellow wrote:
Engineering Nerd wrote:

Same. I only noticed halfway through the episode when i noticed she was wearing the girls uniform and not the boys uniform.

It had me guessing for quite a long time myself.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:13 am Reply with quote
I already watched the first episode, and it looks like it is going to be a wonderful anime. For some reason I had forgotten that Yuasa was directing this show.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:02 am Reply with quote
My heart is still beating fast, I'm speechless. Shocked
melton80

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:13 am Reply with quote
3 obvious girls in girls uniforms is being "gender neutral", i didn't see any movements they made that wouldnt make me think less that they were girls, cross dressing may fly in American schools but there is no chance in hell a boy is coming to school in a girls uniform in Japan, they would be send home immediately.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:44 pm Reply with quote
melton80 wrote:
3 obvious girls in girls uniforms is being "gender neutral", i didn't see any movements they made that wouldnt make me think less that they were girls, cross dressing may fly in American schools but there is no chance in hell a boy is coming to school in a girls uniform in Japan, they would be send home immediately.

My read on the original interview was they just didn't want to make the girls act too girly, They said they were worried when people saw it was about a girl in a girls school that it would be something only girls would watch. They still made Mizusaki feminine, but said they made sure not to make them overall act too girly so as to not alienate male viewers as well, since the theme about liking and making anime is 'genderless' and universal to everyone. i.e. This isn't a show about a girl, it's a show about a kid who likes anime.
Leviathonlx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:48 pm Reply with quote
melton80 wrote:

This is not true. The Lead Producer for FF14, Yoshida, mentioned a story about seeing a boy wearing a school dress when talking about LGBT issues in Japan and how many schools are becoming more relaxed.

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/bukful/yoship_says_trans_rights_kotaku_interview?sort=confidence

Quote:

Let me give an example: I was heading to the office on a Saturday and I saw a situation that made me very sad. I was trying to go into the office and I was waiting at a red light. I saw a high schooler coming from the other side of the road in their school uniform. It seemed that they were biologically male at birth but they were wearing a sailor fuku, which is traditionally female attire. In Japanese high schools, there’s more and more schools that are accommodating for freedom of not being restricted to a specific gender for your uniform...That person probably wanted to present the gender they identified with in their heart...On the other side of the road was a mother and a daughter. The daughter was perhaps 5 years old. As soon as the mother saw the high schooler, she shielded her daughter as if she didn’t want her daughter to see. The high schooler must have been very hurt. Situations like these still happen and there’s areas where there’s not as much understanding.
RealMTL

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Aside from the whole "gender neutral" minefield, I actually enjoy the character designs and the way the show is animated. It's a unique style.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:21 pm Reply with quote
DavetheUsher wrote:
My read on the original interview was they just didn't want to make the girls act too girly, They said they were worried when people saw it was about a girl in a girls school that it would be something only girls would watch.

Wouldn't it be the other way around? The late night anime market is mostly based on the idea of sexual polarity so shows with cute girls are mostly made for the seinen demographic while shows with cute boys are mostly made for the josei demographic. I would think that saying that the main characters in the anime don't act girlish would be an attempt to advertise the show to women.

DavetheUsher wrote:
They still made Mizusaki feminine, but said they made sure not to make them overall act too girly so as to not alienate male viewers as well, since the theme about liking and making anime is 'genderless' and universal to everyone. i.e. This isn't a show about a girl, it's a show about a kid who likes anime.

The vast majority of guys like femininity so I don't think it was done for that reason.
jdnation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I feel that all Yuasa's stuff aims for freedom in their animation so that they can get more creative and heighten the comedy through posing and movement. So this philosophy is in line with that. It certainly makes things more interesting in a wacky kind of way.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:02 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
DavetheUsher wrote:
My read on the original interview was they just didn't want to make the girls act too girly, They said they were worried when people saw it was about a girl in a girls school that it would be something only girls would watch.

Wouldn't it be the other way around? The late night anime market is mostly based on the idea of sexual polarity so shows with cute girls are mostly made for the seinen demographic while shows with cute boys are mostly made for the josei demographic. I would think that saying that the main characters in the anime don't act girlish would be an attempt to advertise the show to women.

DavetheUsher wrote:
They still made Mizusaki feminine, but said they made sure not to make them overall act too girly so as to not alienate male viewers as well, since the theme about liking and making anime is 'genderless' and universal to everyone. i.e. This isn't a show about a girl, it's a show about a kid who likes anime.

The vast majority of guys like femininity so I don't think it was done for that reason.

Stuff like Barbie and Bratz weren't exactly popular with guys back in the day. And most shoujo series usually don't find large male audiences outside a couple like Sailor Moon or Pretty Cure. There's definitely certain ways you can have female characters to alienate guy viewers. It's all about the style of the show.

There's going to be a live-action adaption of Eizouken that stars an idol group later in the year. That might go for the cute girls doing cute things portrayal with that kind of casting.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2