Forum - View topic
NEWS: Masashi Kishimoto, Akira Ōkubo's Samurai 8 Manga Ends


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
JonDoe



Joined: 14 Oct 2019
Posts: 47
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:24 am Reply with quote
Boy talk about being behind the curb. First you guys report Bleach's return two days late and now you're reporting S8's cancelation FOUR DAYS LATE. I swear anytime there's a major anime announcement it's usually CBR or Newsweek who beats you to the punch and then you guys are stuck playing catch up. smh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FreshIngredient



Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 47
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:39 am Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:
Boy talk about being behind the curb. First you guys report Bleach's return two days late and now you're reporting S8's cancelation FOUR DAYS LATE. I swear anytime there's a major anime announcement it's usually CBR or Newsweek who beats you to the punch and then you guys are stuck playing catch up. smh.

Leaks aren't official announcements.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
3ngag3



Joined: 16 Oct 2015
Posts: 134
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:54 pm Reply with quote
FreshIngredient wrote:
JonDoe wrote:
Boy talk about being behind the curb. First you guys report Bleach's return two days late and now you're reporting S8's cancelation FOUR DAYS LATE. I swear anytime there's a major anime announcement it's usually CBR or Newsweek who beats you to the punch and then you guys are stuck playing catch up. smh.

Leaks aren't official announcements.


ANN has had no problems reporting leaks before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sevokevo Royuki



Joined: 15 Jul 2012
Posts: 100
Location: Texas
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Sad that its ending so soon.. Part of me wishes this could get greenlighted for a anime adaption.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dragon695



Joined: 28 Nov 2008
Posts: 1338
Location: Clemson, SC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:17 pm Reply with quote
I’m gonna miss it for the AIBO cyberpoodle and samurai cat. Kind of wish Kishimoto would try a fantasy series surrounding beastmen. Japan is definitely on a furry bender of late.

Sadly, I think s8 would have worked better as a tie in to the Naruto universe (Perhaps years in the future). I suspect, aside from glaring flaws in the early narrative, some fans of Naruto were expecting a Naruto retread and responded accordingly when it was obvious S8 was not going there. Of course, Boruto and Black Clover already scratched that itch in a way S8 did not. Overcoming a 15 year legacy is hard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
will.babe



Joined: 29 Aug 2017
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:41 pm Reply with quote
well about time they ended or rather cancelled this horrible manga. Masashi should've stuck with the serialization of the 5 books of (kakashi, sakura and sasuke) instead of doing this messy as hell new samurai 8 crap. HELL why not animate the books instead of that wacky ass boruto anime??? anyways I don't really care


meanwhile; Eden's Zero is thriving and having all the success it deserves Anime hyper
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sonryu



Joined: 18 Nov 2007
Posts: 131
Location: LI, NY
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I was kind of enjoying this, but I won't miss it when it's gone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
Dian Z



Joined: 27 Feb 2013
Posts: 318
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the early chapters. But it's quick to overwhelm you with lots of explanations which can be hard to understand anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Replica_Rabbit



Joined: 23 Aug 2015
Posts: 176
Location: Portland
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Samurai 8 could have been really good, it should have focused on character instead of the battle system and world
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FireballDragon



Joined: 17 Nov 2014
Posts: 552
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:15 pm Reply with quote
It's almost kind of ironic; with a manga like Naruto, you would expect Kishimoto's work after that to be a smash hit almost every time. Oh well, manga is a gamble, as they say.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lossthief



Joined: 14 Dec 2012
Posts: 695
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:23 pm Reply with quote
dragon695 wrote:
Sadly, I think s8 would have worked better as a tie in to the Naruto universe (Perhaps years in the future). I suspect, aside from glaring flaws in the early narrative, some fans of Naruto were expecting a Naruto retread and responded accordingly when it was obvious S8 was not going there.


Eh, I don't think people were disappointed because they wanted more Naruto and didn't get it. The main complaints I've seen from Sam 8 (and that I mostly agree with) were that the setting and powers were too convoluted, the writing for most of the characters was flat and lacked any really endearing traits to make you root for them, and the art could make the action difficult to follow a lot of the time. those are bone-deep problems that wouldn't have been fixed from just saying Hachimaru was Naruto's great-great-great-grandson or whatever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eddy564



Joined: 14 Sep 2008
Posts: 296
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:41 pm Reply with quote
will.babe wrote:
well about time they ended or rather cancelled this horrible manga. Masashi should've stuck with the serialization of the 5 books of (kakashi, sakura and sasuke) instead of doing this messy as hell new samurai 8 crap. HELL why not animate the books instead of that wacky ass boruto anime??? anyways I don't really care


meanwhile; Eden's Zero is thriving and having all the success it deserves Anime hyper


Let’s not act like Eden’s Zero is anything to write home about. It’s only doing well because it’s literally Fairy Tail 2.0. It must be comforting going down the same formula that has worked in the past.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
will.babe



Joined: 29 Aug 2017
Posts: 6
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Eddy564 wrote:
will.babe wrote:
well about time they ended or rather cancelled this horrible manga. Masashi should've stuck with the serialization of the 5 books of (kakashi, sakura and sasuke) instead of doing this messy as hell new samurai 8 crap. HELL why not animate the books instead of that wacky ass boruto anime??? anyways I don't really care


meanwhile; Eden's Zero is thriving and having all the success it deserves Anime hyper


Let’s not act like Eden’s Zero is anything to write home about. It’s only doing well because it’s literally Fairy Tail 2.0. It must be comforting going down the same formula that has worked in the past.


Well yeah it IS comforting and the FT sequel 100 years quest is also doing great thanks for asking. lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Eddy564



Joined: 14 Sep 2008
Posts: 296
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:06 pm Reply with quote
will.babe wrote:
Eddy564 wrote:
will.babe wrote:
well about time they ended or rather cancelled this horrible manga. Masashi should've stuck with the serialization of the 5 books of (kakashi, sakura and sasuke) instead of doing this messy as hell new samurai 8 crap. HELL why not animate the books instead of that wacky ass boruto anime??? anyways I don't really care


meanwhile; Eden's Zero is thriving and having all the success it deserves Anime hyper


Let’s not act like Eden’s Zero is anything to write home about. It’s only doing well because it’s literally Fairy Tail 2.0. It must be comforting going down the same formula that has worked in the past.


Well yeah it IS comforting and the FT sequel 100 years quest is also doing great thanks for asking. lol


Interesting that you think I was asking you anything.

Enjoy celebrating an artist’s downfall. I hope it brings you some happiness.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ensaru64



Joined: 14 Nov 2018
Posts: 13
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Had Kishimoto trusted his audience more and had us learn about the world through the characters and not have a constant exposition dump every few panels, this manga would've been something else. I lost interest in the series pretty quickly the more stuff was being explained.

I still think its setting is very interesting. I just wished Kishimoto learned from similar titles like this: Dorohedoro and One Piece, for example. It's a sci-fi adventure series! Let us in on the adventure!

This must really suck for him, considering he spent a lot of time on research for this title.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group