• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Daisuke Ono, Kenjiro Tsuda Join Cast of Tower of God Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:29 am Reply with quote
Legit my first words upon seeing the character design, "Why is he [Daisuke Ono] playing a burrito?!" Good times.
Aki_Leaves

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:35 pm Reply with quote
For those on the fence about getting into ToG, here's how I feel.

Season 1 is definitely super good. You should know if you're into it within the first 10 chapters or so. The setting is intriguing and the author does a good job of feeding us enough lore to keep us wanting more, but not enough to the point where you're getting exposition dumped on. You will legitimately look forward to seeing where the story goes.

Season 2 has a different feel to it right off the bat. It's "darker" and will change up the cast for the first few dozen chapters. Many would argue it isn't as good as the first season, but I found it equally interesting. Seeing the "MC" of season 2 grow, rise to new feats that still OP, yet not too extreme in comparison to heavy hitters. Up through the workshop battle, there is actual thought and strategy that goes into the different tests and trials and the power hasn't scaled so high that everything feels pointless. There is also a plot involving the old and new cast kind of meeting up and it is all really good.

Once you start getting past the workshop battle, the quality starts to decline more rapidly. You start getting arcs that are straight-up boring followed by arcs that are pretty interesting. this kind of happens on repeat with lots of lows and highs.

Once we start getting through Hell Train, we start to lose the sense of scale. Power levels start rising exponentially, dozens of characters are introduced that are supposed to be super powerful high rankers. But power has escalated to people floating in empty spaces with characters using DBZ attacks. New "powerhouse" characters don't really feel powerful or interesting like they used to when introduced in earlier parts.

I still read it because I still find it better than train wrecks (which I won't name and be mean) you get often with shonen series, but it lost a lot of what make sit great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1