• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Remaining Monogatari Series Anime, Kill la Kill, ERASED, Occultic;Nine

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ampharos

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 8:16 pm Reply with quote
This is swell, but wouldn't it be more swell if they streamed all those other Aniplex shows that aren't streaming anywhere? (I know, there's probably a lot of rights issues involved in making this happen but still, if they aren't getting released any time soon it would be really nice to see them streaming again. My body yearns for a Baccano rewatch.)
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:12 pm Reply with quote
would be even more awesome if these were available on other streaming services for people that don't like Funi's platform and their various issues. Aniplex, I know you can do it.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
would be even more awesome if these were available on other streaming services for people that don't like Funi's platform and their various issues. Aniplex, I know you can do it.

Most of these shows are available on Crunchyroll, with the exception of a few installments from the Monogatari series. Kill la Kill and Erased are also available on Hulu. Not sure where you are in the world, but hope this helps.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 9:42 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they have more Monogatari and the last three episodes of Bakemonogatari. I never got around to finishing Occultic;Nine and always meant to watch more so I"ll have to watch it now.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:04 pm Reply with quote
(Now let FUNi re-release them on video...)
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I hope this is one step closer to them releasing it physically.
BaronViolet

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:10 am Reply with quote
How many more titles is funimation going to get? Don't they have enough?
matt78

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 10:37 am Reply with quote
BaronViolet wrote:

When it comes to streaming sites the more content you have the more value that you have to your customer base. Funimation's main competition is Crunchyroll and unless I am mistaken Crunchyroll still has a larger catalog than Funimation so it makes sense that they want to catch up. I think it is likely that a majority of Aniplex's titles end up on FunimationNow sometime in the future since both are owned by Sony.

Last edited by matt78 on Tue May 12, 2020 12:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 11:35 am Reply with quote
Great. Having an incomplete catalogue on Monogatari was a really weird deal. Now if only they could get the movies for streaming as well, though I'm well aware that's extremely unlikely
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:04 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
BaronViolet wrote:

When it comes to streaming sites the more content you have the more value that you have to your customer base. Funimation's main competition is Crunchyroll and unless I am mistaken Crunchyroll still has a larger catalog than Funimation so it makes sense that they want to catch up. I think it is likely that a majority of Aniplex's titles end up on FunimationNow sometime in the future since both are owned by Sony.

Yeah. It would be weirder if they didn't add titles from another part of the same company. They probably still have to sublicense since AoA and Bandai of America back in the day had to license shows that were produced by the Japanese side of the company, but I have to think it's at a preferential price.

Like others have pointed out, Aniplex streams its titles elsewhere, so it's not this prevents other options. With as much as companies want to fragment the market to get more subscribers, I see it as a good thing when more options are added.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

Like others have pointed out, Aniplex streams its titles elsewhere, so it's not this prevents other options. With as much as companies want to fragment the market to get more subscribers, I see it as a good thing when more options are added.

Do they though? It doesn't look like any of AoA's titles this season are available anywhere but Funi, even Kaguya, whose first season is on CR. Given that Funi announced pre-COVID that they're dubbing Kaguya, they're probably going to dub a good chunk of AoA's titles, which definitely won't be elsewhere.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Except for Kaguya, and Millionaire Detective, yes, Aniplex is currently streaming on a wide variety of platforms. could easily start changing in the future, but for now, its accurate
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1