• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sony Postpones PlayStation 5 Event to 'Allow More Important Voices to Be Heard'

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:14 pm Reply with quote
It was pretty awkward to see Pokemon news on the timeline today with all thats going on in America. Can totally see how playstation news would appear.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Ugh... do we need a tracker for things pushed back by this like there is for Covid...
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Probably just don't want to be overshadowed.
Horsefellow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
It was pretty awkward to see Pokemon news on the timeline today with all thats going on in America. Can totally see how playstation news would appear.

Well NoA did famously say "making political statements are for other people to do", and I doubt Gamefreak really cares about what goes on in the US.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:46 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

That probably works too, but Sony has been explicitly vocal about the situation to a degree more than just the generic "thoughts and prayers" type sentiments corporations love to throw out.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:42 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:

While I can see how it could come off as jarring, some people would be happy to see some good news in the growing pile of bad stuff going on in the world. Sometimes a little bit of happiness is needed in times like these, no matter how small.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:15 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

It's most likely to avoid bad press and huge backlash for self-promoting during this time. For a lot people, it's not a good look; especially for a massive corporation like Sony.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:01 am Reply with quote
It is totally understandable considering the situtatuion that the U.S. is facing right now.
I do not live in the United States but I just hope that everything can be resolved peacefully.
DavetheUsher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:21 am Reply with quote
AutoOps007 wrote:
It's most likely to avoid bad press and huge backlash for self-promoting during this time. For a lot people, it's not a good look; especially for a massive corporation like Sony.

Pretty much. If making an effortless token statement avoids unnecessary PR that then it's a no brainer solution, especially if they don't have to do anything more than that. It's no different than when people change their logo to be rainbow themed during Pride month and then ignore it for the remaining 11 months. It's more of a social obligation thing than anything else these days. I mean, half the companies that are making statements use sweatshops and child labor. They obviously aren't that committed to human rights. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1