• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Expo 2020 Canceled Due to COVID-19

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:13 am Reply with quote
It does make you wonder what the first con back is going to be… now that the march of cancellations has reached August, is there any hope for the big events in October and November (Youmacon, Anime Weekend Atlanta, and Anime NYC)? Or are we basically scratching out all of 2020, and looking to Spring 2021 (Sakura-con and Anime Boston usually being the first big ones of the calendar year, IIRC)?
jellybeanbandit

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:36 am Reply with quote
No convention for the rest of the year should stay open.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:00 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
It does make you wonder what the first con back is going to be… now that the march of cancellations has reached August, is there any hope for the big events in October and November (Youmacon, Anime Weekend Atlanta, and Anime NYC)? Or are we basically scratching out all of 2020, and looking to Spring 2021 (Sakura-con and Anime Boston usually being the first big ones of the calendar year, IIRC)?

I'm sure that big events are out of the question for the rest of 2020; we haven't fundamentally changed anything about our ability to deal with the virus - that is, we don't have any of (1) a way of making people very resistant to infection, (2) a very reliable treatment someone who is infected, or (3) any ability to do instant testing that would let us spot infected people (including asymptomatic ones) and prevent them from entering a venue and infecting a lot of other people - current on-site tests still take 15-45 minutes to get results according to https://www.health.harvard.edu/diseases-and-conditions/if-youve-been-exposed-to-the-coronavirus. That means large events are just begging for an explosion in cases. Also, larger events need to know what their procedures are months in advance, so late-breaking advances aren't likely to change the fate of an event.

I can see small events having a chance to happen late this year. In the LA area, conventions like SuperDimensionCon (a couple hundred people, early October, significant part of the convention outdoors), and Pacific Media Expo and Anime Pasadena (hundreds to 1000 or so people, mid-to-late November) might be at a size that could be permitted assuming nothing too crazy happens between now and then. And hey, what are the odds of something crazy happening between now and late November?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:36 am Reply with quote
azabaro has said it already. There's basically no chance any large scale event can happen this year.

It's simply too dangerous and honestly any event that DOESN'T cancel is putting their customers and staff at risk and should be condemned. I'm talking specifically about the United States. Other countries may be in a good enough spot later this year. The US definitely won't be when this entire time we had a decent percentage of the population (including Governors) that pretended the virus was nothing serious while it spread throughout our communities. Most states haven't even hit peak yet. And we're likely gonna have a 2nd wave in Fall. Hell, some experts have said Fall could be even WORSE. I don't want to fear-monger, but we need to simply heed the warnings of experts and be cautious. Large scale events like conventions would just be insanely irresponsible to even consider hosting this year. I'm surprised it took them this long to cancel it.

Slightly off topic but it's really frustrating how so many people think that when lockdown is over or emergency declarations are gone, that they can go back to normal life. So many people stopped using masks the instant lockdown ended, stopped worrying about distance, ect ect. People like that are gonna set us back
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:12 pm Reply with quote
VoidSeeker wrote:
And nothing of value was lost.

Now that this has been quoted twice in minimally-valuable followups, anyone care to explain the hate for Crunchyroll Expo? I went the first year and thought it was quite good. More corporate and little room for fan-driven content, maybe, but that’s probably what you should expect from an “expo” run by a big company.
TD912

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:57 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

Now that this has been quoted twice in minimally-valuable followups, anyone care to explain the hate for Crunchyroll Expo? I went the first year and thought it was quite good. More corporate and little room for fan-driven content, maybe, but that’s probably what you should expect from an “expo” run by a big company.

It was ran by the same team as Anime NYC, LeftField Media. I didn't go to ANYC the first year, but the second year also seemed a tad corporate with only panels from big companies. The third year they expanded the floor space and I felt there was a big improvement with fan-driven stuff. This year they said they're expanding more and apparently dedicating even more space to fan events. They have a survey every year and really seem to take the feedback seriously.

CRX used to be ran by LeftField, but this year was supposed to be ran by Reedpop. No idea if they planned for any significant changes though.
CosplayQueen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
CRX used to be ran by LeftField, but this year was supposed to be ran by Reedpop. No idea if they planned for any significant changes though.

2017 & 2018 were LeftField
2019 It was handled internally by Crunchyroll, though that team has now left
2020 Was to be Reedpop
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I went to the first year and thought it was far too corporate-y. It was a small(er) convention that was trying to flaunt itself as if it were Anime Expo. I found the behavior disgusting. It was the sort of garbage that I've come to expect from AX, not from a convention that was just trying to establish itself.

So yes, I agree...Nothing of value was lost.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:28 pm Reply with quote
So is there a reason Crunchyroll Expo is getting flack for being "too corporate" but not AX? Unless they're super tiny and unable to afford major industry panels most conventions have some corporate element to them.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:20 am Reply with quote
^ I give both of them flack for being too corporate. I won't attend AX anymore, but that's largely because if you want autographs, you need to start lining up at 10-11pm for a chance to get an autograph ticket when it opens at 8 am. I don't mind paying for their overpriced hotels in the hotel block, but when it amounts to nothing more than a place to shower and luggage storage even with the premier pass, I have an issue.

Crunchyroll isn't yet at that level of attendance but acts as if it is. Usually, you get more personalized treatment at smaller conventions, but Crunchy tries to run it like AX where you're lining up for hours to get an autograph ticket and then you line up again for the guest. Usually smaller cons want to build loyalty by offering experiences and events that you can't get elsewhere, but Crunchy just banks on the fact that you're going to attend them because of their name. And honestly, ain't nobody got time for that.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:49 am Reply with quote
At least 45,000 people attended Crunchyroll Expo 2018 which isn’t as large as Anime Expo but it’s at least larger than Anime Boston and they have major Japanese guests. I guess it’s your money to do with what you want. I’m just not sure I agree with the nothing of value comments when people probably had jobs lined up from the con and fan content creators were probably counting on the dealer’s rooms and stuff to promote their works. And nowadays it just seems like it’s trendy to complain about Crunchyroll on the Internet even if the thing people are complaining about isn’t that huge of a deal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1