• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Pokémon Company Announce Donations to Support Black Lives Matter Movement

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Niantic really going all out on this
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see companies get behind this.

I wish the article was a little more clear. The title says the donations are for BLM. The article uses direct quotes to provide information on what the donations are for, and neither the first paragraph covering the $1M from Funimation nor the fourth paragraph covering The Pokemon Company mention BLM specifically.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:53 am Reply with quote
It's great that they're doing this. I'd love for more businesses and companies to do stuff like this, too. But don't look at the comments on Facebook, as they're just awful. "Oh, they should keep politics out of this! Stick to games and anime!" and "Oh, they're just greedy, money-grubbing idiots who are just taking advantage of the movement for their own gain!" and "Oh, they don't actually care! They're just doing this because they're trying to follow a trend! They're only virtue signaling and nothing else!"

I mean, the whole thing makes me want to scream. Mad
Rentwo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:01 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
It's great that they're doing this. I'd love for more businesses and companies to do stuff like this, too. But don't look at the comments on Facebook, as they're just awful. "Oh, they should keep politics out of this! Stick to games and anime!" and "Oh, they're just greedy, money-grubbing idiots who are just taking advantage of the movement for their own gain!" and "Oh, they don't actually care! They're just doing this because they're trying to follow a trend! They're only virtue signaling and nothing else!"

I mean, the whole thing makes me want to scream. Mad

Pokemon is one of the only Japanese brands I know of that actually does cater to the global market, especially to the degree it does They toned down the anime content wise two decades ago. They removed a lot of Japanese elements from the games and anime including written Japanese text. They even adopted the American logo back into Japan and go so far as to tone down the merchandise in Japan to be more family friendly and in line with American standards. I would say Pokemon is probably genuine when they say it, even if it took over 2 weeks to post about it on their Japanese Twitter account and don't mention any organization or movement specifically. Sure, it could still simply be PR and obligation at this point, but the fact the actual Japanese Twitter account mentioned it and not just an American branch is something interesting to me and something I haven't seen yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1