• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Content Overseas Distribution Association to Publish 16 Anti-Piracy Manga in English

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry Chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:48 am Reply with quote
Good luck with that,

Cut of one head of a hydra, 3 new ones will pop up, cut those 9 new one will pop up.

Piracy will never die, itll only grow bigger and stronger.

And with the censorship creeping up on localized mangas the piracy will neevr die.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:27 am Reply with quote
The most I'm surprised they found someone competent to translate...

Strange they didn't include region blocks to make it more realistic Smile ...

Barry Chan wrote:
And with the censorship creeping up on localized mangas the piracy will neevr die.

That seldom ever happens nowadays. But, if something officially released does get censored it deserves to get pirated.
Do you have specific examples in mind?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:54 am Reply with quote
This will cost more money than piracy actually does lol
idioteva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:11 am Reply with quote
I’ve read the comics and they are quite good. Rather than just shouting ‘piracy is bad!’ they actually discuss some of the most common things said in the discussion of piracy.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:51 am Reply with quote
What waste of money for self induced feel good attempt appease inside the industry. You want to stop piracy, make content available so people no need to pirate in first place! Then price it so local population can afford. We have bad habit of creating content and say for Japanese only then cry when international market steals it! Some countries in west get lucky because publishers see money in some few markets, but ignore rest. Too expensive, no returns if released in_______ then complain that _______ is stealing content! Need to stop old way of thinking all content is JDM only!

/smh
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:22 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
This will cost more money than piracy actually does lol

How exactly?
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:26 am Reply with quote
I don't know what kind of manga Yotabanashi is, and I'd love to find out, but considering it doesn't even have an entry on here, I don't think I'll ever find out. Maybe that's for the best. Akatsuki Akira's is definitely the most creative of the bunch.

I can't believe the comments on here are still like this, in "the current year". It'd be one thing if you pirated and didn't say anything about it, but openly acting so entitled just makes you look like a child. People complain about censorship in manga, and the only thing they're capable of bringing up is that they don't like the name Zolo instead of Zoro. If basic (and also not-so-basic) Jump series are all you want, Viz has you well-served for very (almost absurdly) cheap, but no, just complain about one letter.

Looking forward to Matsumoto's contribution; I wish his actual manga was available in English, but I think the scanlators dropped that, as they do. Wink You know, pretty funny how usually if there's a manga I want to read that isn't legally available in English, chances are the scanlators never kept with it either. Funny how people who work for free aren't the most reliable. Funny.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:56 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:
You know, pretty funny how usually if there's a manga I want to read that isn't legally available in English, chances are the scanlators never kept with it either. Funny how people who work for free aren't the most reliable. Funny.

There's tons of manga that's being translated outside official channels. And if no-one's translating it, that just means there's not enough interest in it, officially or unofficially.
Nonetheless, I wouldn't mind checking out Sabagebu! beoynd the only three scanlated chapters of it.
Who knows, perhaps THIS will drum it up enough for someone to pick it up. Wink
crimsondevil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:04 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:
I don't know what kind of manga Yotabanashi is, and I'd love to find out, but considering it doesn't even have an entry on here, I don't think I'll ever find out. Maybe that's for the best. Akatsuki Akira's is definitely the most creative of the bunch.

I can't believe the comments on here are still like this, in "the current year". It'd be one thing if you pirated and didn't say anything about it, but openly acting so entitled just makes you look like a child. People complain about censorship in manga, and the only thing they're capable of bringing up is that they don't like the name Zolo instead of Zoro. If basic (and also not-so-basic) Jump series are all you want, Viz has you well-served for very (almost absurdly) cheap, but no, just complain about one letter.

Looking forward to Matsumoto's contribution; I wish his actual manga was available in English, but I think the scanlators dropped that, as they do. Wink You know, pretty funny how usually if there's a manga I want to read that isn't legally available in English, chances are the scanlators never kept with it either. Funny how people who work for free aren't the most reliable. Funny.

What if I told you, WSJ aren't a faction of all that the reader read.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:14 am Reply with quote
Yeah, piracy is bad but region blocked is OK for them. Go figure. Rolling Eyes
Bowi_tcm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:49 am Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:

Well it's free, [expletive] ofc it wasn't reliable.

It's not funny, it's rather a common sense.
If you get paid and not doing your job then you can call it funny.

As someone who scanlate stuff there's no way they can localise all the shit,
So stuff called scanlation will always exist if not forever unless those people willing to track millions if not billions of humans by now just because they pirated the manga.

Even the things that given away for free will also pirated and kept in someone else storage.
Maybe try giving a better service and make a community where people can unit for overseas and the Japanese themselves.

There's alot of Yuri manga I read and not even close to 1% of it even got licensed just so you know if it wasn't thanks to the scanlation.
They lose nothing for overseas piracy as long there's no officials release which I already said, there's no way they could license all the specific one.
Not to mention the awful region block thing or currency difference.

There's reason why something like biggest digital store such as Steam praised you know.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:54 am Reply with quote
Well the thing is that while we have sites like that one where they publish Jump (I forget what the website is called), but they only have the first 3 chapters available then the current 3 everything else in between is missing and you have to buy $10 a pop to read it.

I just wish they would make reading manga online similar to watching anime online pay a set amount per month or year and read all you want. Instead of charging per volume or chapter. Publishers are way behind on the times if people want to buy per volume through physical/digital means means they can, but I think they should make all chapters available for viewing with a monthly or yearly sub.

I don't know how bad anime piracy still is, but I doubt its as bad as it used to be back before we had all these legal streaming sites.

Manga is the only thing I really pirate anymore I don't really with anime unless its a Netflix title,recent anime movies, or very old classic anime, but now we have the newly formed Retrocrush so.....yeah maybe just Netflix titles and anime movies in the near future.
Aaronrules380

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:59 am Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
Well the thing is that while we have sites like that one where they publish Jump (I forget what the website is called), but they only have the first 3 chapters available then the current 3 everything else in between is missing and you have to buy $10 a pop to read it.

I just wish they would make reading manga online similar to watching anime online pay a set amount per month or year and read all you want. Instead of charging per volume or chapter. Publishers are way behind on the times if people want to buy per volume through physical/digital means means they can, but I think they should make all chapters available for viewing with a monthly or yearly sub.

I don't know how bad anime piracy still is, but I doubt its as bad as it used to be back before we had all these legal streaming sites.

Manga is the only thing I really pirate anymore I don't really with anime unless its a Netflix title,recent anime movies, or very old classic anime, but now we have the newly formed Retrocrush so.....yeah maybe just Netflix titles and anime movies in the near future.
Mangaplus makes you buy volumes, but the english shonen jump website does give you the option of subscribing for $2 a month and getting all the content of the series it hosts without buying individual volumes though
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:38 am Reply with quote
Aaronrules380 wrote:
[Mangaplus makes you buy volumes, but the english shonen jump website does give you the option of subscribing for $2 a month and getting all the content of the series it hosts without buying individual volumes though

Last I checked the Viz Shonen Jump isn't available in all regions, at least not in Europe outside UK and Ireland. And MangaPlus subscriptions weren't available either outside those so you're left with the first and last three chapters. So not exactly a solution for those of us outside North America. Though it has been a while I checked, have those issues been dealt with?

@marshmallowpie

Also, an addendum to my reply above, about your claim scanlators not bothering with stuff, let's take a look at the author Yumi Nakata, she's a long-time mangaka with about ~10 full-length series under her. Two of her creations have gotten an anime adaptation(Chu-Bra!!, My Wife is the Student Council President).
How many officially translated releases of her works are there? Well, that's a big fat zero for you.
On the other hand, scanlators have completed 5 of her works while 3 are actively translated. And that includes both the works behind the anime adaptations.

And that is only one of the countless mangakas who's works we enjoy/have enjoyed but who's unfortunately never gotten the 'official' treatment...
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:55 am Reply with quote
I wonder who they're trying to convince with this. Do publishers believe people who pirate just don't know that artists aren't getting paid for the stuff they're pirating?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3