• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Big West to Distribute Macross Franchise's Works Made After 1987 Globally; Streams Flash Back

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote
The original Macross anime came out in 1982, so does that mean it won't get a reprint?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:04 pm Reply with quote
So this includes Macross Plus?!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Could it potentially go to Netflix or FUNimation so it can have a chance to be dubbed?
DRWii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:23 pm Reply with quote
So an official, unedited release of "Do You Remember Love" outside Japan remains a dream.
loveliver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:28 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:
So an official, unedited release of "Do You Remember Love" outside Japan remains a dream.

Harmony Gold gave a reason why on the 12th of this month, but I forgot why. I think they said it wasn't just that it's a Toho license and Harmony Gold needs to get along with them for that. It's something else, but I can't remember...
loveliver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:29 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
The original Macross anime came out in 1982, so does that mean it won't get a reprint?

Harmony Gold has the worldwide license for that specific Macross title, so if it were to get a Blu-ray release, it will DEFINITELY be from Funimation. Don't lose out on hope yet.
loveliver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:33 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: According to the banner from Big West's Macross English Twitter Page, it specifies the following properties from release date:
The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012
Macross II: Lovers Again
Macross Plus
Macross 7
Macross Zero
Macross Frontier
Macross Delta
The latter four also includes its related properties including OVAs and movies.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:34 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:

My understanding is that the original Macross anime is still covered by the original agreement with Tatsunoko Pro, which was renewed again in 2019, so it's up to Harmony Gold to reprint it. This is saying that Big West is going to distribute the sequels - part of the argument was about whether Tatsunoko Pro could license to Harmony Gold the right to make Macross sequels for non-Japan distribution (also the other series that make up Robotech, but that part was settled), or whether Big West (and Studio Nue) had the right to make / distribute sequels in the territories Harmony Gold operates.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:40 pm Reply with quote
loveliver wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: According to the banner from Big West's Macross English Twitter Page, it specifies the following properties from release date:
The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flash Back 2012
Macross II: Lovers Again
Macross Plus
Macross 7
Macross Zero
Macross Frontier
Macross Delta
The latter four also includes its related properties including OVAs and movies.

All I’m really interested in out of these is Plus. It’s one of my favorite anime.

I’m definitely on board for Plus on Blu-Ray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:44 pm Reply with quote
DRWii wrote:

I don't know about a home-video or streaming release, but the movie was distributed outside of Japan, there are two Latin American dubs (in fact, in the first dub, Roy Fokker's voice actor reprised his role from Robotech) and another dub made in Italy. However, those version came out in the 90s and early 00s
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Now all that's left is for Big West to start announcing how they're going to release these titles and where. Given the profile of this property, hopefully they decide to go the extra mile in dubbing what hasn't been dubbed yet & giving these the proper Blu ray releases they deserve.

While OG Macross and DYRL isn't going to be coming from Big West, I hope we don't need to wait that long for Harmony Gold to sort things out & give them a proper release too. It'd be nice to start at the beginning of the franchise...
Covnam

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see things moving already. Hopefully they partner with a US company for a quality release of these titles.

I'd definitely pick up BDs of Plus, Frontier and Delta.

It'd be nice if the games could come over now too. Most are probably too old, but Uta Macross on phones is still going, so that'd be nice to see in english at least.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
DRWii wrote:

I don't know about a home-video or streaming release, but the movie was distributed outside of Japan, there are two Latin American dubs (in fact, in the first dub, Roy Fokker's voice actor reprised his role from Robotech) and another dub made in Italy. However, those version came out in the 90s and early 00s

the movie was dubbed in Brazil twice as well:once in the late 80's for VHS and another in 2000 for a TV broadcast on Locomotion
BlueFalcon07

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:29 pm Reply with quote
I hope they managed to pull some strings with the Macross 7 thing. I'm very surprised if this gets here because of the music shenanigans.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:32 pm Reply with quote
It's kind of surreal seeing official English Macross releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3