• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The World Ends with You RPG Gets Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:38 am Reply with quote
I'm super happy about this and hyped but, to whoever wrote the article, while am not sure if this is a RPG (certainly not in the typical RPG sense at least if it is) I do take issue with calling TWEWY a smart phone game. Yes, it is on mobile, but just as ur article points out it first appeared on DS and is now on Switch. Thus, its not right to call it a smart phone game esp when it didn't 1st appear on smart phones but on the DS. I feel the smart phone bit should be dropped from the article's name. Its misleading cus some people won't touch an anime if its a smart phone anime cus, they usually rn't very good from what i hear and TWEWY anime needs ALL the support it can get. Please consider dropping the smart phone part of the article's title and thanks for reporting on it :)
Amethyst Alchemist
Former ANN Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:43 am Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
I'm super happy about this and hyped but, to whoever wrote the article, while am not sure if this is a RPG (certainly not in the typical RPG sense at least if it is) I do take issue with calling TWEWY a smart phone game. Yes, it is on mobile, but just as ur article points out it first appeared on DS and is now on Switch. Thus, its not right to call it a smart phone game esp when it didn't 1st appear on smart phones but on the DS. I feel the smart phone bit should be dropped from the article's name. Its misleading cus some people won't touch an anime if its a smart phone anime cus, they usually rn't very good from what i hear and TWEWY anime needs ALL the support it can get. Please consider dropping the smart phone part of the article's title and thanks for reporting on it Smile

We were in the process of updating the title around when you commented here. It's no longer listed as a smartphone game there. Thanks!
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:52 am Reply with quote
Mixed feelings.

They could genuinely care and we get a great adaptation ala Tales of Zestiria. Or we get Persona 5: The Animation
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:01 am Reply with quote
Bring on the mad mathematician, Sho Minamimto, you zeta sons of digits! Cool
Telu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:50 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Mixed feelings.

They could genuinely care and we get a great adaptation ala Tales of Zestiria. Or we get Persona 5: The Animation

https://toz-thex-anime.tales-ch.jp/
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Hope this is good, as TWEWY is one of my favorite games of all time. It's the type of story that could work really well as anime, and the visual style and music are also points in its favor. Fingers crossed...
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if it’ll get licensed in the states and if there’s a chance the original cast will be back! Really excited for this! I hope this is a gateway to a potential animated adaptation for Kingdom Hearts!
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:32 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to get a RPG anime adaption right but I do personally kind of enjoy the Tales of animes so maybe
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I was excited when i saw this, but now that i think about it, I'm not sure how you would adapt this to anime. Unlike Tales and Persona, there's not a lot of action (outside the battles), and most of the game takes place in the same spot. I guess it might flow if you did it like Death Parade or something. They also definitely need to keep the game soundtrack. That was a big part of what made it so stylish.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
I'm super happy about this and hyped but, to whoever wrote the article, while am not sure if this is a RPG (certainly not in the typical RPG sense at least if it is) I do take issue with calling TWEWY a smart phone game. Yes, it is on mobile, but just as ur article points out it first appeared on DS and is now on Switch. Thus, its not right to call it a smart phone game esp when it didn't 1st appear on smart phones but on the DS. I feel the smart phone bit should be dropped from the article's name. Its misleading cus some people won't touch an anime if its a smart phone anime cus, they usually rn't very good from what i hear and TWEWY anime needs ALL the support it can get. Please consider dropping the smart phone part of the article's title and thanks for reporting on it Smile

I mean if we’re being fair being anime’s based off of anything tend to be a crapshoot doesn’t matter if it’s based off a manga or a PC game. You’re likely to get a bomb depending on certain factors.
Firefly251

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Wondering if they will go the true ending?

Or if they will go original ending?
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I really hope it’s more than 12 episodes. This is one of my favorite DS games, I don’t want it to get a terrible adaptation like another DS game, Devil Survivor 2 did.
I also really hope they use the game’s music.
Dextres

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Praise the sun

We'll eating today!

Definitely on my wishlist.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:48 pm Reply with quote
lol I knew the anime would be announced.

Quote:
An official teaser website opened on Friday to announce that Square Enix's The World Ends with You (Subarashiki Kono Sekai)

It should be noted that Subarashiki Kono Sekai is translated to It's a Wonderful World. The World Ends with You is the overseas title.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:06 pm Reply with quote
.....I love the idea of this getting animated......BUT HOW?

The number 1 thing you think of when you think of world ends with you is its uncompromising style. It's a VERY URBAN game to put it mildly. Not only in it's setting which is a character itself almost, but it's fashion.

Then you get the actual iconic graffiti, noise, and character designs. they work really well in the games very comic style of animation. But how would you then make it work in motion.....

and largest problem is transferring the days structure of the games into an anime... Unlike something like tales or persona, you would have a problem combining days of the game into a single episode. Even if you tried to combine 2 days into an episode and left one day getting it's own episode each week, that could still be a big problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2