• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aquaplus Song Composer Susumu Mameda Passes Away

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:59 am Reply with quote
This one hurts me so much. Every one of their (his?) songs was always amazing to me. I never noticed Mameda and Kinugasa were the same person despite their music being similar. I just thought it was an AQUAPLUS "sound". Most my favorites like "Musouka" and "Maiochiru Yuki no You ni", and tons of Non-anime Suara songs were credited to Kinusaga so I always had a female image in my head. Mameda-san, under any name, was really a super talented person and in my mind, a legendary composer for the industries he worked in. He'll be greatly missed.

Suara tweeted in response to his death, I've used DeepL to translate so forgive any errors:

Quote:
I took it for granted that Kinugasa-san had written so many wonderful songs for me, and that I would be able to continue to sing the songs Kinugasa-san has written for me in the future, so now I'm still filled with a sense of loss and a feeling of incredulity.
With the memories and gratitude of 15 years of my life, I'll continue to sing these songs well into the future.

Source: https://twitter.com/Suara_FIX/status/1288328115920367617

VGMDB has the most complete list I can find of his amazing accomplishments

https://vgmdb.net/artist/1014 ( Michio Kinugasa )

https://vgmdb.net/artist/1012 ( Susumu Mameda )

Lastly, I want to share an example of what they meant to me. Sorry if formatting is bad, this site in hard to use on mobile and I'm pasting stuff I wrote on Twitter. I'll edit tomorrow if there's issues.

I didn't pay attention to music credits beyond singer for most my life. It was only around 10 years ago that I started to care. That was when some of my favorites singers started retiring (or worse). Because of that I started looking into who wrote, composed, ect, for their songs so that I could find the same type of great music but with a different singer. That's also what made me really appreciate I'VE and people like Kazuya Takase. Michio Kinugasa I only begun to appreciate around 2013 when the White Album 2 anime ended up being my favorite of the season and in my top 10 for the year. I had to get more of the music and checked VGMDB. I was amazed to see how many of my favorite songs Kinugasa-san had composed. "Musouka" most especially, because it was one of the songs that really got me into Japanese music. I had been listening to Japanese before then but "Musouka" really triggered something in me that made me go from "oh this anime song is neat" and move on to next season to "I need to find more music like this". It moved me from Anison to Japanese music as a whole. "Musouka" basically set me on one of the major courses in my life - it pushed me onto the path of my true favorite hobby. I can't express enough how grateful I am to that song and everyone involved in it, especially Kinugasa-san and Suara.

RIP Mameda-san, Kinugasa-san. Your music will definitely live on
Idgal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:15 am Reply with quote
how sad,
i really enjoy Aquaplus music, there was something special that was levels above the usually music in VGN.

my favorite music from them was white album2

RIP
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:58 am Reply with quote
Oh God, in 2020 Utawarerumono fans already lost not only Fujiwara-san, but now even the man behind all it's music along with many other known Leaf/Aquaplus works. That's already hard to recover.

Rest in piece and thanks for all your amazing work for all this years, Mameda/Kinugasa-san.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:08 am Reply with quote
The link with title Hachima Kikō in the article is to google.com, not a specific article.
FlamingFirewire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:29 am Reply with quote
I didn't know Kinugasa had composed all the songs he did - but in retrospect - he did all of my favourite music from Utawarerumono and the other Aquaplus works I've run across. Hopefully he can rest in piece knowing that he's left an ongoing impact on those who have heard his works.
otastorian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:52 pm Reply with quote
There's a sense of sudden deep sadness when you read through the credits of an artist who's passed, only to say that they've worked on many projects you love, and you had no idea. Tears to Tiara was the first visual novel I ever played, and I've always loved it's music. Rest in peace, Mameda-san.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:22 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Oh God, in 2020 Utawarerumono fans already lost not only Fujiwara-san, but now even the man behind all it's music along with many other known Leaf/Aquaplus works. That's already hard to recover.

Rest in piece and thanks for all your amazing work for all this years, Mameda/Kinugasa-san.

Yeah this really sucks..
Now that english speaking fans have access to ALL of utawarerumono and only just recently.

RIP
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:07 am Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
WANNFH wrote:

Yeah this really sucks..
Now that english speaking fans have access to ALL of utawarerumono and only just recently.

RIP

Almost all the games. The mobile game (Lost Flag) started last year which of course included Fujiwara-san and music from Kinugasa-san, specifically the theme song sung by Suara. https://youtu.be/B0ze6bOpn6M
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1