• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Sailor Moon R: The Movie, Berserk Anime Films

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I guess the 90s Sailor Moon TV episodes are still locked down by Hulu's exclusive streaming deal as it seems like the R movie is the only part of the 90s anime Viz can stream outside of Hulu in the US, not counting digital purchases on sites like Amazon. This makes me think back to years ago before Viz got it when Funimation did that poll where they asked how fans would feel if they licensed all 200 episodes of Sailor Moon but nothing ever came of that.
hikura

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I saw the title of the article.I was like hey wait a minutes doesn't viz own the rights to sailor moon.Then i read the article.Oh okay cool viz does own the rights.Funimation is just doing the streaming of it.

Last edited by hikura on Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:45 pm Reply with quote
I'll stream the R movie on Crunchyroll, thanks.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Still confused they're giving us no explanation for not including the first of the Berserk movie trilogy, just II and III. It's the least graphic of the three, and it's absolutely essential to watch first (unless you've read the manga or watched the '97 series), so I don't really understand its absence. Does Netflix have exclusivity on that one, alone? Kinda a weird situation (thankfully I own them all on bluray anyways but still curious).
SnowWarren

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:07 am Reply with quote
If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:54 am Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Still confused they're giving us no explanation for not including the first of the Berserk movie trilogy, just II and III. It's the least graphic of the three, and it's absolutely essential to watch first (unless you've read the manga or watched the '97 series), so I don't really understand its absence. Does Netflix have exclusivity on that one, alone? Kinda a weird situation (thankfully I own them all on bluray anyways but still curious).

I have to wonder if that's the case or if Viz's license may have lapsed for that first movie which would mean whatever deal or sub-license they had going with Netflix is slowly ticking towards expiration and then it just won't be streaming anywhere anymore. That's kinda worst-case scenario though.

Also, this is my 1000th post! Heck yeah!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1