• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Tiger & Bunny

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stelman257

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:52 am Reply with quote
One of my absolute favourites from its time, and honestly Tiger & Bunny, Fate/Zero and Steins;Gate renewed not only my love for English Dubs, but also my love for anime in general back in 2012-2013 when I was getting seriously burned out. I owe a lot of great times and memories to these shows. Can't wait for Season 2 of Tiger & Bunny!
Quote:
The English dub for this one is provided by STUDIOPOLIS, Inc. Performances and casting choices are very solid so far (especially Wally Wingert as Kotetsu), but the translation is a little loose, emphasizing smooth flow at the expense of perfect accuracy. We'll see how that goes as the series progresses.

Was there a particular translation or scene that struck you as too loose in regards to this? The dub I thought was so wonderfully on point in many ways. Not to mention how star studded it is, even guys like Darren Norris get to work their magic in it!
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I never got that on earlier viewings, but I can certainly see now how a scene in the first episode, where Barnaby ends up rescuing Kotetsu princess carry-style, could contribute to that.

If I didn't know it was Theron by the header then here is the ultimate proof that he's doing the reviews. As a straight male who only sees such things in passing, I would rate Tiger and Bunny's shipping potential to be 4 out of 5. And that's from the start, it's actually higher once the series gets going.

The title by itself seems to be an invitation for shipping.

Still, as much as I like the series, I have to complain both about the "hundred" power as well as the fact that both main characters have the exact same power. The show is pretty solid on the time length but what the actual power grants seems to be far more situational based than anything. 100 times faster, 100 times stronger but 100 times more invulnerable or is it just durable? Are they 100 times more massive so that they could actually use that power they suddenly possess or are they just slightly more massive so they still can run fast?

In use, it's a video game buff and not a superpower so its "press B to win" nature is a lot more understandable if still absurd alongside actual elemental powers that don't have to be turned on. But those elemental powers along with the double buffs just shows how little imagination went into the superhero powers. Far less thought was involved than the corporate brand/costumes and all they had to do with the powers was steal them from comics.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, how did I not see these reviews going up sooner?! I love T&B and I lament the fact that it looks like the possibility of a sequel series is dead, especially with My Hero Academia kind of dominating the market for "western superheroes but anime". Still, I'll love reading these.

Quote:
All of this does bring up two vexing questions, concerning Karina, however. First, how does she get changed so fast? That makeup, hairdo, and costume look like something that should take an hour or more with stylist and makeup artist to get prepared. And second, how does she not get recognized by her classmates? After all, her face is shown clearly and her voice is not disguised.

Well the classic example of hiding in plain sight is Clark Kent/Superman, and there's a couple of explanations for that in comics generally. One is that Clark changes his appearance (it's not just the glasses, it's stuff like him slouching and wearing ill-fitting suits to hide his super-swoleness). The other, more popular reason, is that he changes his demeanor. He doesn't act as confident, he's a little dorkier, in general he just does a lot of stuff where even if you noticed the visual similarity, or if he didn't change his voice, you'd think "no way in hell is this guy Superman".

Comparatively speaking, based on how much more we see of Karina's life outside Blue Rose (and maybe my memory's too hazy), but if I remember right, her personality is a lot more subdued than Blue Rose's and she never wears anything nearly as provocative/revealing as her costume; plus even if her friends know about her being interested in music and playing at the bar, there's a big difference between just playing piano at a bar and doing the kind of pop idol music Blue Rose does. In short, unless Karina is just godawful at keeping her secret, there's a lot of mental hoops her friends would have to jump through before connecting the dots. (Now as for how she changes so fast, that's definitely some hidden other power Smile )
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Wily wrote:
Oh man, how did I not see these reviews going up sooner?! I love T&B and I lament the fact that it looks like the possibility of a sequel series is dead, especially with My Hero Academia kind of dominating the market for "western superheroes but anime". Still, I'll love reading these.

Rumors of its death have been greatly exaggerated. Very Happy

Kind of bummed to not see these reviews getting more loved, because T&B was an absolute blast of a series. Its basic premise feels almost disturbingly accurate...like, if people started appearing with superpowers in our world, you just know that someone would make a terrible reality show out of it. Kotetsu's on my shortlist of best anime dads for sure.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Dr. Wily wrote:

Rumors of its death have been greatly exaggerated. Very Happy

Man how did I miss that? I mean, I'm hyped as hell for any year but now, but now 2022 is looking even brighter.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That's a doozy of a plot twist, but still pretty much par for the course for super-hero-based titles

Yeah, I was disappointed by the Maverick twist because it was so... expected. "Oh the boss/chief/CEO/whatever is actually the big bad guy" is such a played-out trope.
corinthian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
pparently Yuri is not so easily duped, and that he abhors the injustice of framing someone (even if he does not know why or how it's happening) is consistent with his stated beliefs. Apparently Kotetsu made an impression on him in previous encounters after all. . .

Back in episode 7 when Tiger and Lunatic first fought, Lunatic says something like "So you're Wild Tiger? I will remember you..." I thought that was a nice bit of foreshadowing
Otaku-sempai

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:16 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If a handbook for comic book-style masterminds existed, rule #1 would be something like this: “if you intend to kill the heroes anyway, never, ever toy around with them when they are at your mercy. Just kill them expediently!"

Well, it's not quite #1, but it's covered!

Quote:
4. Shooting is not too good for my enemies.

6. I will not gloat over my enemies' predicament before killing them.

7. When I've captured my adversary and he says, "Look, before you kill me, will you at least tell me what this is all about?" I'll say, "No." and shoot him. No, on second thought I'll shoot him then say "No."

14. The hero is not entitled to a last kiss, a last cigarette, or any other form of last request.

16. I will never utter the sentence "But before I kill you, there's just one thing I want to know."

26. No matter how attractive certain members of the rebellion are, there is probably someone just as attractive who is not desperate to kill me. Therefore, I will think twice before ordering a prisoner sent to my bedchamber.

42. When I capture the hero, I will make sure I also get his dog, monkey, ferret, or whatever sickeningly cute little animal capable of untying ropes and filching keys happens to follow him around.

53. If the beautiful princess that I capture says "I'll never marry you! Never, do you hear me, NEVER!!!", I will say "Oh well" and kill her.

68. I will spare someone who saved my life sometime in the past. This is only reasonable as it encourages others to do so. However, the offer is good one time only. If they want me to spare them again, they'd better save my life again.

73. I will not agree to let the heroes go free if they win a rigged contest, even though my advisors assure me it is impossible for them to win.

75. I will instruct my Legions of Terror to attack the hero en masse, instead of standing around waiting while members break off and attack one or two at a time.

78. I will not tell my Legions of Terror "And he must be taken alive!" The command will be "And try to take him alive if it is reasonably practical."

93. If I decide to hold a double execution of the hero and an underling who failed or betrayed me, I will see to it that the hero is scheduled to go first.

98. If an attractive young couple enters my realm, I will carefully monitor their activities. If I find they are happy and affectionate, I will ignore them. However if circumstance have forced them together against their will and they spend all their time bickering and criticizing each other except during the intermittent occasions when they are saving each others' lives at which point there are hints of sexual tension, I will immediately order their execution.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1