• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Chainsaw Man Manga Gets TV Anime at MAPPA

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:46 am Reply with quote
Truly, Chainsaw Man is this generation's equivalent to Bastard!!, as both featured content that often would make one wonder how the hell it was in Weekly Shonen Jump, both featured leads that are 1,000% libido, & both wind up having to move to offshoot publications (Jump+ for Chainsaw Man, the old Seasonal Specials for Bastard!!) in order to continue.

Anyway, congrats to Chainsaw Man for getting continued in Jump+, and also for getting a MAPPA adaptation!
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:24 am Reply with quote
"Chainsaw Man, Chainsaw Man, does whatever a chainsaw can...!"
N_roxy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:50 am Reply with quote
Is that Giriko from soul eater?
Nagisa_Nagi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, MAPPA needs to calm down.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I was really hoping they'd get another studio besides MAPPA to make this. Not that I don't like MAPPA but lately it feels like their making every big new anime that comes out which gives the anime landscape a bit of a homogenized feel. I would have preferred if they had gone with a more unexpected choice like Wit studio.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:09 pm Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:
I was really hoping they'd get another studio besides MAPPA to make this. Not that I don't like MAPPA but lately it feels like their making every big new anime that comes out which gives the anime landscape a bit of a homogenized feel. I would have preferred if they had gone with a more unexpected choice like Wit studio.

Araki and his Wit team directing Chainsaw Man would be unbelievably tantalizing, oh well at least we can dream Embarassed
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:31 pm Reply with quote
i want a studio that absolutely wont fit like shaft or kyoani.kyoanis umineko is mythical.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:37 pm Reply with quote
JonDoe wrote:
I was really hoping they'd get another studio besides MAPPA to make this. Not that I don't like MAPPA but lately it feels like their making every big new anime that comes out which gives the anime landscape a bit of a homogenized feel.

I agree. They also seem to be taking a lot of projects, at the moment they have Jujutsu Kaisen, Gymnastics Samurai, and AoT Final Season, airing at the same time. I wonder if they have different teams or even sub-studios working on each title, but it might also indicate that some have more priorities over the others. This sounds like it'll still be a while, and they could use a good scheduling for their projects.

I personally was hoping for Bones or even Science Saru, since they have some frequent animators that I want to see bringing out the weird animation potential from Chainsaw Man.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:18 pm Reply with quote
This seems to be a pretty well regarded series, but I never got around to reading it, so I'm looking forward to finally being able to check it out animated.
simona.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:58 am Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
"Chainsaw Man, Chainsaw Man, does whatever a chainsaw can...!"

I love you Anime hyper
Kaori Makimura

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:17 am Reply with quote
I was secretly hoping for a 3rd season of Shingeki Bahamut- but I guess at least this is a relatively untapped style so it could be worth checking out... Plus it's Mappa, they have such a fresh take on anime. Smile
ronri

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:32 am Reply with quote
I absolutely love the series, and even with more to come, its first part still ended fairly cleanly. Here's hoping the anime turns out good.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:50 am Reply with quote
Oh, boy, I really can't wait for this to come out. I can see this series being a huge success in the west and becoming a gateway anime, depending on how exactly it's handled.
Chainsawman is a very unique series in that while it's crass, cynical and dickish it also has a lot of heart to it. There were some extremely emotional moments and the conclusion was... surprisingly humane. I think that's one of the things I like the most about Tatsuki Fujimoto. He has no regards for norms nor conventions but behind all the blood, guts and vomit lies a legitimately human heart.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:02 am Reply with quote
ThatMoonGuy wrote:
vomit

Yeah I still remember THAT chapter. Can't wait to see it animated. I went to the manga a good while back wondering what all the hooplah about it was, as its summary made it sound like a very average type of shonen battle thing. I was surprised how... unconventional the author's approach was. No audience pandering, no punches pulled, great story arcs. Wondering if the anime can do it justice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1