• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy VII Remake Wins Best RPG at The Game Awards 2020

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:28 am Reply with quote
As it should've.
El Hermano

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:12 am Reply with quote
Considering The Game Awards are all about marketing, I expected it to win at least 1 category after the Sephiroth announcement.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:01 am Reply with quote
El Hermano wrote:
Considering The Game Awards are all about marketing, I expected it to win at least 1 category after the Sephiroth announcement.

That's something I was thinking about with this year's show in particular. I know they need the money and announcements/ads are a way to get eyes on the event, but the Game Awards seems to be trying to establish itself as the Oscars of Games and you don't see ads for upcoming movies baked into the Academy Awards program since the focus is supposed to be on the nominees. I don't know, it feels sort of like there is the conflict in purpose when it's positioned as trying to recognize accomplishments from the prior year, but it's having to rely on companies touting their next thing to get attention. That seemed even more apparent this time when you have examples like the company that bought up what was left of Tell Tale saying not to expect anything from them (presumably because Tell Tale announced Batman at the show years ago) or one of the last "world premiers" as Geoff Keighly put it being a CGI trailer to acknowledge that Bioware is working on something new with Mass Effect, which we already knew. (Seriously, "Mass Effect continues" merits its own trailer? Seems rather presumptuous that mere existence is meant to be exciting, especially when this was already known.)
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:56 am Reply with quote
Should probably just rename it the Playstation Awards Show because besides the Family and Strategy categories no PC, Nintendo or Xbox titles can win.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:56 am Reply with quote
ZellosZoidberg wrote:
Should probably just rename it the Playstation Awards Show because besides the Family and Strategy categories no PC, Nintendo or Xbox titles can win

I think that's just the nature of critic awards. They tend to value story and narrative over gameplay and fun, and most PlayStation first party titles tend to be all about those cinematic experience. Given their inclusion of Hollywood celebrities presenting awards, it does seem they want to be taken seriously and treated like the Oscars. I guess focusing on gory shooters like Doom or sandbox games like Animal Crossing can't accomplish that sort of professional image as a serious artistic medium if they win Game of the Year.

FF7R was definitely my favorite game that came out this year though, although in terms of competing with other RPGs it didn't exactly have much competition... The Game Awards put it up against a gacha game, a port of a 2016 game, a Yakuza spin off, and an isometric indie game. It was the only real high profile title there.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:42 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
[quote="ZellosZoidberg"

FF7R was definitely my favorite game that came out this year though, although in terms of competing with other RPGs it didn't exactly have much competition... The Game Awards put it up against a gacha game, a port of a 2016 game, a Yakuza spin off, and an isometric indie game. It was the only real high profile title there.

Like a Dragon wasn't a spinoff. It's literally Yakuza 7 in Japan. While despite being a re-release of 5, Royal was still one of the best reviewed games on the platform. GEnshin Impact was one of the more popular games this year. I wouldn't say that is exactly easy competition.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:44 pm Reply with quote
As someone who really liked TLOU2, it's victory as GOTY rubs me the wrong way. I don't think it won for being a good game, per se. Gameplay wise, it brings nothing new over the last game or other action games. I feel like it's push towards making games more like interactive movies is not something I look forward to.
TexZero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:00 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:
ZellosZoidberg wrote:
Should probably just rename it the Playstation Awards Show because besides the Family and Strategy categories no PC, Nintendo or Xbox titles can win

I think that's just the nature of critic awards. They tend to value story and narrative over gameplay and fun, and most PlayStation first party titles tend to be all about those cinematic experience.

There's some cosmic level irony here when TLOU:2 wins in nearly every catagory it was nominated in and people still want to claim that story and narrative matter. If that was actually the case they wouldn't have won anything since that games narrative was a bigger trainwreck than GoT final season.
Florete

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:22 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Should probably just rename it the Playstation Awards Show because besides the Family and Strategy categories no PC, Nintendo or Xbox titles can win.

Non-PlayStation games win plenty of categories. Breath of the Wild won game of the year in 2017. Fire Emblem: Three Houses won more categories than it was nominated for last year, taking 3 awards home. Your statement just isn't true.

TexZero wrote:
There's some cosmic level irony here when TLOU:2 wins in nearly every catagory it was nominated in and people still want to claim that story and narrative matter. If that was actually the case they wouldn't have won anything since that games narrative was a bigger trainwreck than GoT final season.

TLoU2's story is good. It's just not what the average gamer expected or wanted. 90% of the criticism of it comes from that, not from actual issues with the narrative.

People criticize game developers all the damn time for playing it safe and never taking risks, Naughty Dog goes and takes a big risk with TLoU2 and the reaction proves to all of us why no one wants to. I suspect history will be kinder to TLoU2 than the present.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1